Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 12:33:51 AM
714392 Posts in 53096 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  :-( What's the point of that? « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: :-( What's the point of that?  (Read 3366 times)
SynapticBoomstick
Cinematic Monster Fanatic from Weird New Jersey
Bad Movie Lover

One monster with extra cheese, hold the plot.

« on: June 06, 2008, 01:12:42 AM »

Recently got news from a friend of mine. His girlfriend was diagnosed with cancer and they had to remover her stomach. The cancer came back... she has 18 months... I refuse to accept that! She's the same age as me, you're not supposed to get this kind of thing at the start of your life, you're not! I'm not taking the news very well; I mean, I've never even met his girlfriend before but I've known this friend for a helluva long time. It feels like i'm going through it right now, you know?

People are telling me that there's nothing can be done, I can't accept that! Something can always be done, they have a year and a half, treatments have advanced, there are more options! I'll give them my freaking stomach, you know?! You live a short time and go out before you can make any kind of contribution or impact on life? What's the point of that?! I know life isn't fair but that's really unfair...

I'm sorry, I'm a bit troubled right now.

Kleel's rule is harsh :-B
frank
Bad Movie Lover

"I'm a big boy now, Johnny."

« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2008, 01:45:21 AM »

That sucks. Sorry to hear this.

The sister of my sister's husband had a surgery two weeks ago because of cancer in her spinal cord. She is married and has two little daughters. The uncertainty of the future cracks us all up quite a lot. She didn't die directly after surgery (20 % chance), but at this time they do not know if the cancer is gone (30 % chance) or not (50 % chance). If not, no one knows what will happen.

I always took life as sort of a big game, where you can get taken out anytime. But as soon as "anytime" doesn't relate to the next couple of decades but the next couple of months, things get out of perspective for me.

Life is not like it should be, sometimes...

......"Now toddle off and fly your flying machine."
ulthar
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2008, 06:38:09 AM »

Recently got news from a friend of mine. His girlfriend was diagnosed with cancer and they had to remover her stomach. The cancer came back... she has 18 months... I refuse to accept that! She's the same age as me, you're not supposed to get this kind of thing at the start of your life, you're not! I'm not taking the news very well; I mean, I've never even met his girlfriend before but I've known this friend for a helluva long time. It feels like i'm going through it right now, you know?

People are telling me that there's nothing can be done, I can't accept that! Something can always be done, they have a year and a half, treatments have advanced, there are more options! I'll give them my freaking stomach, you know?! You live a short time and go out before you can make any kind of contribution or impact on life? What's the point of that?! I know life isn't fair but that's really unfair...

I'm sorry, I'm a bit troubled right now.

A lot of what you are saying here makes a lot of sense.  Anger and a nonacceptance phase is part of the process.  Even though you don't know her, having something like this hit close to home brings the realities, er, close to home.

Empathy is good....it binds us.  It SHOULD make it harder for us to treat each other like crap.  Every day, the people that we see likely have something like this going on in their lives.  Often, sadly, we stay too wrapped up in our own selfish wants to care, and get impatient, or worse.

These kinds of realities of life teach us that WE, humans, are NOT the center of the universe.  There are forces that are beyond our control, things bigger than us.  If this is the first time you are dealing with something like this, I think it will be life-altering when that all-important acceptance phase arrives.

In any case, I think the best I can offer is to be a friend, be caring.  Ask him (your friend) and HER if there is anything you can do to for her.  Maybe she does not want to be babied, treated like someone who is sick, so don't assume she wants that.  Realize that her life means something to YOU (even if you have not met her directly...this is BIG stuff...we are ALL connected, not just to our friends and acquaintances), and show her that.

One thing, and not the only thing, that gives her life meaning, is that it has increased yours, and our, awareness of this horrible disease.  We can all use the opportunity to volunteer with Hospice (or some other similar group), donate time, money or other resources to a cancer research organization, etc.  Through her pain, she might help ALL of us push a little harder to help others in the future.

I will say a prayer for you and for her.  I will pray that you both find peace, and though some may find that a hollow ending, true peace is to me the greatest gift in such circumstances.

God Bless You Both.

--John

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
SynapticBoomstick
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2008, 11:13:56 AM »

A lot of what you are saying here makes a lot of sense.  Anger and a nonacceptance phase is part of the process.  Even though you don't know her, having something like this hit close to home brings the realities, er, close to home.

Empathy is good....it binds us.  It SHOULD make it harder for us to treat each other like crap.  Every day, the people that we see likely have something like this going on in their lives.  Often, sadly, we stay too wrapped up in our own selfish wants to care, and get impatient, or worse.

These kinds of realities of life teach us that WE, humans, are NOT the center of the universe.  There are forces that are beyond our control, things bigger than us.  If this is the first time you are dealing with something like this, I think it will be life-altering when that all-important acceptance phase arrives.

In any case, I think the best I can offer is to be a friend, be caring.  Ask him (your friend) and HER if there is anything you can do to for her.  Maybe she does not want to be babied, treated like someone who is sick, so don't assume she wants that.  Realize that her life means something to YOU (even if you have not met her directly...this is BIG stuff...we are ALL connected, not just to our friends and acquaintances), and show her that.

One thing, and not the only thing, that gives her life meaning, is that it has increased yours, and our, awareness of this horrible disease.  We can all use the opportunity to volunteer with Hospice (or some other similar group), donate time, money or other resources to a cancer research organization, etc.  Through her pain, she might help ALL of us push a little harder to help others in the future.

I will say a prayer for you and for her.  I will pray that you both find peace, and though some may find that a hollow ending, true peace is to me the greatest gift in such circumstances.

God Bless You Both.

--John

Sadly, this isn't the first cancer-related incident I've been party to  Bluesad but I thank you for the kind council.

Patient7

Mwa Ha Ha Ha Ha

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2008, 11:20:08 AM »

That sucks, it's even worse that it happened at a young age because as you said she hasn't really had the opprotunity to make an impact in life yet.

Barbeque sauce tastes good on EVERYTHING, even salad.

Yes, salad.
odinn7

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2008, 01:19:18 AM »

God damn....I'm sorry to hear this...I understand what you're experiencing as I have a friend that is right around my age that will be dead shortly from Stage 3 Colon Cancer. This guy was the picture of health...and suddenly, It's all over. A real great guy too....volunteered his time with little kids, always willing to help people out...and life just f**ked him.

All I can offer for you is to stay strong...for you and them.

Take care

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

You're not the Devil...You're practice.
SynapticBoomstick
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2008, 06:10:32 PM »

God damn....I'm sorry to hear this...I understand what you're experiencing as I have a friend that is right around my age that will be dead shortly from Stage 3 Colon Cancer. This guy was the picture of health...and suddenly, It's all over. A real great guy too....volunteered his time with little kids, always willing to help people out...and life just f**ked him.

All I can offer for you is to stay strong...for you and them.

Take care

Thank you. Life isn't fair but sometimes it's tough to accept that :-|

Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  :-( What's the point of that? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.