Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 04:02:51 PM
714481 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7744 Members
Latest Member: MichelFran
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  So, I went to the drive-in last night (and YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE ZOHAN stinks) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: So, I went to the drive-in last night (and YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE ZOHAN stinks)  (Read 1443 times)
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: June 08, 2008, 09:09:40 AM »

After several years of not seeking out a drive-in theater, my wife and I (and the 2 dogs) took a ride to the Milford Drive-In (Milford, NH).  It's about 40 miles from where I live in Billerica, MA.

The drive-in has 2 screens.  Screen 1 was showing KUNG-FU PANDA and INDIANA JONES (which I have already seen).  Screen 2 was showing YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE ZOHAN (we'll get to that soon), and IRON MAN (which I have already seen).  We opted for screen 2.

The drive-in was pretty cramped . . . my guess is that it was originally built to have one screen, but they set up a second screen sometime in the past to draw bigger crowds.

They were running some sort of raffle and had "rolled back" concession stand prices on several items to 50 cents.  Needless to say, the place was crowded and the line at the concession stand was out the door . . . but I stood in it anyway.

Before the movie, they announced there would be a "delay" because of the raffle and the long line at the concession stand.  They proceeded to read a list of winning raffle ticket numbers and then waited awhile until the concession line got shorter before starting the first movie (ZOHAN).  It was well after 9:00 (closer to 10:00, I think) before they started the movie.  Then there was a fairly long intermission between the movies and they read the raffle numbers again.  We ended up leaving sometime after 1:30 a.m., and IRON MAN was still in full swing.  (Luckily, I had already seen it and my wife was asleep).

Cool stuff:  They showed some of the vintage "visit our snack bar" and "only 7 minutes to showtime!" clips before the first movie and during intermission.  I mean, these are the original clips that were filmed in the 1950s and 60s (check out the clothing and hair styles).  You can see some of the same ones on many "Something Weird" DVDs.

Not cool stuff: ZOHAN.  Other than a few laugh-out-loud moments (most of which you can see in the theatrical trailer and TV spots), this is just "more of the same" from Adam Sandler.  I guess it's supposed to be funny every time they show a close-up of his crotch while he gyrates in a sexually suggestive, disco dance manner (they only show these close-ups about 20 times during the movie).  I guess it's also supposed to be funny every time he eats hummus or uses hummus for a purpose other than eating it (there are about 12 hummus gags during the movie).  Maybe it's also supposed to be funny when he cuts hair for old, ugly women and then has loud off-screen sex with them in the back room of the hair salon while bottles fall off the shelves in the front of the salon (this happens about 8 times during the movie).  I encourage you to pay heed to the title and DON'T Mess with the Zohan.  Save your money.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2008, 09:12:15 AM by The Burgomaster » Logged

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  So, I went to the drive-in last night (and YOU DON'T MESS WITH THE ZOHAN stinks) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.