Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 02:30:51 AM
712922 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Administration  |  Announcements  |  Karma Function Removed « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9
Author Topic: Karma Function Removed  (Read 184284 times)
asimpson2006
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #75 on: June 09, 2008, 02:29:58 PM »

I've only gave neg karma once.  When I looked backed and saw that it was a mistake b/c I misunderstood a joke, I gave the karma back.  Tracking Karma would be a good thing, since it would see if someone is abusing karma.  The negative Karma button could be there but there would have to be some type of condition that would only allow a user to use it (I.E only able to do so after getting a certain amount of Karma obtained, only allowed to use it an x amount a month, etc). 

KYGOTC
Corprate slimeball of E.E.S.
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Be EXELLENT to each other...and PARTY ON DUDES!!

« Reply #76 on: June 09, 2008, 03:23:56 PM »

So now we can just "aplaud". cool.

"I'm a man too, you know! I go pee-pee standing up!"
ghouck

Afro-Mullets RULE!

« Reply #77 on: June 09, 2008, 04:30:17 PM »

I'd be entirely in favour of a negative karma system that allowed Andrew to see who did what to whom, but I do think the anonymity among users is important.

Personally, if I were Andrew, that would be my worst nightmare: A system where the guy providing the board has been tasked with babysitting due to a small, periphial feature, but one that has the potential to be the root of a large amount of controversy. I'm all for doing whatever makes it easier on Andrew, else this becomes more like a job than a hobby. 

Raw bacon is GREAT! It's like regular bacon, only faster, and it doesn't burn the roof of your mouth!

Happiness is green text in the "Stuff To Watch For" section.

James James: The man so nice, they named him twice.

"Aw man, this thong is chafing my balls" -Lloyd Kaufman in Poultrygeist.

"There's always time for lubricant" -Orlando Jones in Evolution
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #78 on: June 09, 2008, 04:38:25 PM »

I'd be entirely in favour of a negative karma system that allowed Andrew to see who did what to whom, but I do think the anonymity among users is important.

Personally, if I were Andrew, that would be my worst nightmare: A system where the guy providing the board has been tasked with babysitting due to a small, periphial feature, but one that has the potential to be the root of a large amount of controversy. I'm all for doing whatever makes it easier on Andrew, else this becomes more like a job than a hobby. 
Here, here!   Thumbup

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
Patient7

Mwa Ha Ha Ha Ha

« Reply #79 on: June 09, 2008, 05:39:26 PM »

I'm all for doing whatever makes it easier on Andrew, else this becomes more like a job than a hobby. 

I agree, let's remember that Andrew does have a life outside of this site, unlike some people <cough>.

Note:  That cough meant me.

Barbeque sauce tastes good on EVERYTHING, even salad.

Yes, salad.
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #80 on: June 09, 2008, 07:10:33 PM »

Wasn't really suggesting something that required Andrew to monitor behaviour, just a log that would be available to him in the event of a complaint. Somebody's karma drops ten points overnight, he can tell at a glance who did it. Most likely, that would be enough to ensure it never happens.

I also like the idea of a monthly limit on the amount of negative karma a member can give, and reserving the privilege until a certain posting threshold has passed. If you have to post 200 or 500 times before the boo button becomes available, hopefully that would prevent abuse by any but the most committed trolls, as well as misuse by noobs who don't know any better.

A karma system with anonymity and accountability would be no trouble at all, I think.

Wish I knew the first thing about PHP programming.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Patient7

Mwa Ha Ha Ha Ha

« Reply #81 on: June 09, 2008, 07:58:11 PM »

as well as misuse by noobs who don't know any better.

I don't know, I've still only been around for a couple months, a time that I'm sure by some is still pretty noobish, and look at my post number, yeah.   Lookingup

Barbeque sauce tastes good on EVERYTHING, even salad.

Yes, salad.
Derf
Crazy Rabbity Thingy
Proofreader

Lagomorphs: menace or underutilized resource?

« Reply #82 on: June 09, 2008, 09:39:59 PM »

Just to throw out another idea (I have no idea if it's possible, feasible, ridiculous, naive, or what): what about a feature that allows a user to opt out of the karma game? That way, if someone like Menard, who dislikes the system, wanted at some future date to rejoin the forum officially, he could simply check a box that says "no" to the karma feature.

Or another possibility from someone who has absolutely no knowledge of how complicated it would be: an ignore feature that would also disable the ability of the persons on the list to affect the list owner's karma. If, for example, Allhallowsday wanted to "ignore" Inyarear, then Inyarear's posts wouldn't show up for Allhallowsday, and Inyarear would no longer have the ability to affect (positively or negatively) Allhallowsday's karma; in effect, the people on the ignore list would no longer exist on the board for the list owner. I'd hate to see that feature personally, but then, I've not gotten into anything overly heated with anyone else here, so I have no reason yet to really want to ignore anyone.

"They tap dance not, neither do they fart." --Greensleeves, on the Fig Men of the Imagination, in "Twice Upon a Time."
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #83 on: June 09, 2008, 09:46:56 PM »

Just to throw out another idea (I have no idea if it's possible, feasible, ridiculous, naive, or what): what about a feature that allows a user to opt out of the karma game? That way, if someone like Menard, who dislikes the system, wanted at some future date to rejoin the forum officially, he could simply check a box that says "no" to the karma feature.

Or another possibility from someone who has absolutely no knowledge of how complicated it would be: an ignore feature that would also disable the ability of the persons on the list to affect the list owner's karma. If, for example, Allhallowsday wanted to "ignore" Inyarear, then Inyarear's posts wouldn't show up for Allhallowsday, and Inyarear would no longer have the ability to affect (positively or negatively) Allhallowsday's karma; in effect, the people on the ignore list would no longer exist on the board for the list owner. I'd hate to see that feature personally, but then, I've not gotten into anything overly heated with anyone else here, so I have no reason yet to really want to ignore anyone.
  BounceGiggle Thanks for choosing us two for an example.  Lookingup  BounceGiggle Please list your medications...  BounceGiggle  BounceGiggle 

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
Menard
« Reply #84 on: June 09, 2008, 10:24:52 PM »

BounceGiggle Thanks for choosing us two for an example.  Lookingup  BounceGiggle Please list your medications...  BounceGiggle  BounceGiggle 

Thumbup BounceGiggle Twirling
Derf
Crazy Rabbity Thingy
Proofreader

Lagomorphs: menace or underutilized resource?

« Reply #85 on: June 09, 2008, 10:41:59 PM »

Thumbup BounceGiggle Twirling

Stop it! You're getting me all excited!  TeddyR

"They tap dance not, neither do they fart." --Greensleeves, on the Fig Men of the Imagination, in "Twice Upon a Time."
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #86 on: June 10, 2008, 09:58:16 PM »

I agree with you on the broader societal principle, but---it's just a message board, and one with a light-hearted mission.  I don't see why it has to reflect the harsh realities of the "real  world."

No it ain't.

If it were just a message board, then there would be hundreds just like this one out there; and there is not.

Problems come from those who think this is just a message board (not directed at you, Rev) and they don't care about a place where the rest of us come to enjoy the company of others; and, maybe, have an occasional friendly squabble TongueOut. Since it's nothing special to them, they want to trash it and the members in it; and that's what happened with the abuse of the karma system.

Didn't mean to demean the board or its members.  I mean that this place is "just" a message board like your favorite neighborhood bar is "just" a bar.  It's not really the decor or the ambiance that makes it a special place: it's the regulars, and the booze selection.  To me the "karma" feature is like a "love-it-or-hate-it" song on the jukebox that gets played a lot.  You may have strong feelings about it's artistic merit, but few people are going to hang around or leave based on that one song.  It's not worth fighting over.  But it might start some arguments when one guy insists on dumping a fistful of quarters into the jukebox and playing it over and over.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Menard
« Reply #87 on: June 10, 2008, 10:39:58 PM »

I agree with you on the broader societal principle, but---it's just a message board, and one with a light-hearted mission.  I don't see why it has to reflect the harsh realities of the "real  world."

No it ain't.

If it were just a message board, then there would be hundreds just like this one out there; and there is not.

Problems come from those who think this is just a message board (not directed at you, Rev) and they don't care about a place where the rest of us come to enjoy the company of others; and, maybe, have an occasional friendly squabble TongueOut. Since it's nothing special to them, they want to trash it and the members in it; and that's what happened with the abuse of the karma system.

Didn't mean to demean the board or its members.  I mean that this place is "just" a message board like your favorite neighborhood bar is "just" a bar.  It's not really the decor or the ambiance that makes it a special place: it's the regulars, and the booze selection.  To me the "karma" feature is like a "love-it-or-hate-it" song on the jukebox that gets played a lot.  You may have strong feelings about it's artistic merit, but few people are going to hang around or leave based on that one song.  It's not worth fighting over.  But it might start some arguments when one guy insists on dumping a fistful of quarters into the jukebox and playing it over and over.

Eh...good try, but you still didn't pull yourself out of that one (as the hooker said to the john TeddyR).

Usually the best reply is: "As usual , you are right, Menard"  TongueOut

If someone kept popping quarters into a jukebox to play a song that I hated, I'd just simply grab them by the collar and the balls and toss their ass out...

...I kinda do the same on the forum. Drink
Kester Pelagius
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

Not a Time Lord!

« Reply #88 on: June 11, 2008, 10:10:09 AM »

Is this thread still here?

Lookingup

If you think KARMA is bad hop over to Crypt Space.  The Yuku forums have something called KUDOS, which are about as pointless and have stirred up just as much scrannel.  (Word of caution I renamed this on my board to TRIBBLES.)  Why?  Because when you give KUDOS you can leave a message.  Why is this a problem?  Because that PM shows up on profiles, whether you want it to or not, thus circumventing the BAN/IGNORE system.

To see how the KUDOS system there works you need to click on a person's profile.  Go ahead.  You don't have to join the board (Crypt Space) or anything to see what I'm talking about.

Go ahead, it's no tribble at all.   Lookingup
« Last Edit: June 11, 2008, 10:12:24 AM by Kester Pelagius » Logged

Cosmic Cinema - SF articles and reviews.

Mise-en-scene Crypt - Rants, reviews, & more! (10% NSFW)
Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #89 on: June 20, 2008, 12:57:24 AM »

There is now a logging system in place for karma, and it should also prompt you for a brief description (which you can leave blank).  Everything needs more testing, but I am tapped out.  I will test more once I have the opportunity.  If you run into anything funny, please post it here or in the trouble tickets thread.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Administration  |  Announcements  |  Karma Function Removed « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.