Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 04:10:38 PM
714413 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  So I Bought a Trumpet... « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: So I Bought a Trumpet...  (Read 7874 times)
Derf
Crazy Rabbity Thingy
Proofreader
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Lagomorphs: menace or underutilized resource?

« on: June 22, 2008, 11:12:03 PM »

Through jr. high, high school & college, I was a low brass player. I played euphonium for the most part, until I was switched to tuba my senior year of college. Many years passed without a horn (and therefore without practicing), and I was able to buy a euphonium at a music store closeout sale, and so I started to play again. I've played the last couple of years at the local Tuba Christmas concerts, which is fun, but I've got limited space, and so pulling out a euphonium to practice can be a bit difficult at times.

I've been wanting to learn new instruments, though, and I recently found a really good deal on an Olds Ambassador trumpet; it is 43 years old, but it is in near pristine condition: very little wear on the lacquer coating, good valve compression, etc. The last time I tried trumpet, I had a decent lip, but I couldn't get more than one octave out of the horn. Now, 20+ years later, and me with a very weak embouchure, I can cover two octaves. I attribute it to a better horn--I've read that the Olds horns, up until the '70s, were some of the best ever made. Anyway, I started to practice, mostly playing by ear as I learn to read trumpet parts. I started to make up a melody, and it has turned into something that sounds like it is straight out of Jackie Gleason's orchestra: very cool, flowing, with lots of half-steps. I've got the theme of the piece; now I just need to work on the variations to the theme. It's exciting to be already creating something on a new horn. Now, I've just got to finish it, record it, and come up with some lame video so I can post it on You Tube or someplace similar...

I plan to learn some woodwinds as well, but they still intimidate me a little. I'm used to using three or four fingers, not eight or nine.

I've tried to construct this post to minimize the "heh, heh, he's playing with his instrument" comments, but I'm sure I slipped up somewhere, so let's hear 'em if you got 'em.  Lookingup TongueOut Lookingup

"They tap dance not, neither do they fart." --Greensleeves, on the Fig Men of the Imagination, in "Twice Upon a Time."
Menard
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2008, 12:26:25 AM »

I started to play again...which is fun, but I've got limited space, and so pulling out...can be a bit difficult at times.

it is 43 years old, but it is in near pristine condition: very little wear...The last time I tried...I had a decent lip, but I couldn't get more...flowing

Now, I've just got to finish...so I can post it on You Tube or someplace similar...

I'm used to using three or four fingers...

I like my version better. TeddyR
CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2008, 12:42:38 AM »

No crude remarks from me, I have ZERO musical talent. So I salute those that do.

Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2008, 06:53:29 AM »

Good for you!  I've got to start practicing my guitar more.  Songwriting is always fun.  Post a clip for us to listen to when you've got it done  Smile

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Derf
Crazy Rabbity Thingy
Proofreader

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2008, 08:59:26 AM »

I somehow knew that, no matter how careful I was, Menard would be up to the task of corrupting it. Hopefully, I at least gave you a minimal challenge. I'd salute you, but my fingers are busy elsewhere.  BounceGiggle

Otherwise, thanks for the encouragement, guys, though it will likely be a while before I've got a finished song. And Jack, most definitely keep playing your guitar. I love playing guitar, but I can't as much as I'd like.

"They tap dance not, neither do they fart." --Greensleeves, on the Fig Men of the Imagination, in "Twice Upon a Time."
enemy
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2008, 11:12:41 AM »

If you do decide to take up a woodwind, try the Sax first.  It's probably the easiest Woodwind to learn, and it's a good introduction to that group of instruments.
Derf
Crazy Rabbity Thingy
Proofreader

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2008, 12:35:49 PM »

If you do decide to take up a woodwind, try the Sax first.  It's probably the easiest Woodwind to learn, and it's a good introduction to that group of instruments.

That's what a band director told me. Trouble is, saxes are #$%#@ expensive, and I am @#%@^ poor. She said to try the sax and then the flute. I've got a flute, so I may have to skip the easiest and move on to the only one to require more air power than a tuba. I'd love to learn the sax, too, though.

Raffine

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2008, 03:52:56 PM »

That's what a band director told me. Trouble is, saxes are #$%#@ expensive, and I am @#%@^ poor. She said to try the sax and then the flute. I've got a flute, so I may have to skip the easiest and move on to the only one to require more air power than a tuba. I'd love to learn the sax, too, though.

With my trombone players lip I could only manage about an octave on trumpet. I did better on horn and could really nail the lowest notes, which many horn players find really difficult.

Flutes have fairly simple fingerings, but do take quite a bit of air. Just remember to let the air stream create the embouchure, and don't try to 'whistle' into the thing.  TeddyR Clarinet is relatively easy, and used ones can picked up fairly cheaply. With any woodwind you want to get it checked out by a repairman to at least make sure there are no leaks. Trying to play on any leaky woodwind instrument can be extremely frustrating, as many of the pitches will simply not play - no matter how hard you try.

In college I went from trombone to bassoon. Talk about having to learn to wiggling fingers! Bassoon is the only wind instrument that uses all eight fingers and both thumbs.

If you're an Andy Milligan fan there's no hope for you.
Patient7

Mwa Ha Ha Ha Ha

« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2008, 04:08:38 PM »

I played the trombone in the 5th grade but I was terrible so I gave up.  Here's a fun fact on me, I've given up a lot when it comes to stuff.  Karate, trombone, etc.

Barbeque sauce tastes good on EVERYTHING, even salad.

Yes, salad.
Menard
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2008, 04:20:18 PM »

This is too easy. TeddyR

...simple fingerings...do take quite a bit of air...don't try to 'whistle' into the thing. 

...you want to get it checked out...at least make sure there are no leaks...any leaky...instrument can be extremely frustrating...no matter how hard...

Talk about...wiggling fingers! ...instrument...uses all eight fingers and both thumbs.

More....more Twirling
KYGOTC
Corprate slimeball of E.E.S.

Be EXELLENT to each other...and PARTY ON DUDES!!

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2008, 04:47:37 PM »

I play trumpet for a ska band called "Jerry Seinfeld is the Devil". I not that great at it, but I'm decent. I wanna pick up some saxaphone skillz.

Small | Large

"I'm a man too, you know! I go pee-pee standing up!"
Derf
Crazy Rabbity Thingy
Proofreader

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2008, 04:55:33 PM »

Raffine,

I come from a musical family; one sister plays french horn, one plays bassoon, one plays euphonium. Two of my brothers played trombone. My wife plays clarinet/bass clarinet, and my daughter plays oboe. I currently own a euph, a trumpet, a flute and a bass clarinet (as well as guitars, a synthesizer and several recorders). I can't imagine going from trombone to bassoon; double reeds drive me crazy. I've messed around with the flute a bit, and I can get a good tone out of it (I had it re-padded when I first bought it, so it's not leaky). I learned a basic scale, but that was long enough ago that I've forgotten it and will have to start over. I really don't like the clarinet for anything but Dixieland jazz, but I may try out my wife's bass clarinet just for funsies (she doesn't really play it often). I started really basic with woodwinds by learning the recorder (I never played one in grade school), just to get used to using both hands.

Patient7--you shouldn't give up on things just because you're terrible at first. Look at Britney Spears: She's terrible, and she's made millions! Of course, if you're not a hot, young blonde and a pedophile's dream date, then you might have a more difficult time than she did.  TongueOut

Menard:   BounceGiggle BounceGiggle BounceGiggle

Derf
Crazy Rabbity Thingy
Proofreader

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2008, 05:01:39 PM »

I play trumpet for a ska band called "Jerry Seinfeld is the Devil". I not that great at it, but I'm decent. I wanna pick up some saxaphone skillz.

Are there any videos of your band playing or anywhere I can hear you guys?

Menard
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2008, 05:12:58 PM »

Menard:   BounceGiggle BounceGiggle BounceGiggle

Now that's using both hands. Looks like it's leaky.TeddyR
KYGOTC
Corprate slimeball of E.E.S.

Be EXELLENT to each other...and PARTY ON DUDES!!

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2008, 05:22:10 PM »

Are there any videos of your band playing or anywhere I can hear you guys?

Well, there is this video, but its not a very good preformance of the song. Honestly, its a little embarassing. The song itself it great I think, but that night we were all a little off. Plus, this was back when our lead singer's girlfriend was doing secondary vocals, which also sucked. Nice girl, but not that great of a musician. She's not with us anymore.
Small | Large

« Last Edit: June 23, 2008, 05:27:55 PM by KYGOTC » Logged

"I'm a man too, you know! I go pee-pee standing up!"
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  So I Bought a Trumpet... « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.