Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 03:18:20 AM
714392 Posts in 53096 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Stop the senseless bootlegging of already-released-in-superior-editions DVDs! « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Stop the senseless bootlegging of already-released-in-superior-editions DVDs!  (Read 3515 times)
Doc Daneeka
The Game is Finished?
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

It's neVer over!

« on: June 23, 2008, 02:01:24 PM »

Well, more DVD woes... kinda. My sister's birthday and she just received MAGIC, a film we both greatly enjoy, me even more so. She squealed for joy un-tissue-papering her gift, though my first reaction was a mixture of confusion and disappointment. I confirmed for myself shortly after that I had not received the Dark Sky release of the film, but rather some small-label piece of crap release. No extras, inferior design, washed out audio and video, not sure about the cuts.

The disk came from "Cheezy Flicks", probably some hole-in-the-wall company operating out of Oregon. http://www.cheezyflicks.com/cascades/ I am ticked, not only because Magic is my favorite film of the moment, not only because these people rereleased it in a vastly inferior edition and grouped it among the "cheeziest films ever made", but because they managed to get their s**tty bootleg sold on Amazon under the same product, indistinguishable from the Dark Sky release. I would say this is grounds for shipping the thing back, unfortunately my mommy is not the same sort of DVD coin-a-sewer as I am, and my sister certainly doesn't mind. It is her birthday anyhow, maybe I'll just ask for a copy of my own for my birthday. Lookingup

For now, stop the gratuitous production of the lesser product! You're growed-ups, don't let this continue! Wink

https://www.youtube.com/user/silverspherechannel
For the latest on the fifth installment in Don Coscarelli's Phantasm saga.
CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2008, 08:31:31 PM »

NOTICE: CheezyFlicks.com is in no way associated with CheezeFlixz (Me) or vice versa. Never heard of them, but they'd better stop using my name.

Sorry to hear about that, I hate getting cheap ripoff copies of movies. I've just about stopped buying movies from anyplace other than known quality dealers. I rarely even buy HTF or OOP's of eBay anymore unless they guarantee it to be original and have the feedback to back it up. Once burned twice shy.

Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2008, 08:40:29 PM »

I use Amazon.com a lot for things in print, and have run into a few listings that surprised me.  I believe that Cheezy Flicks was one of them, for "Inseminoid" aka "Horror Planet" and I actually went back and bought another DVD, because the lower quality version was not up to snuff.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2008, 05:13:17 AM »

NOTICE: CheezyFlicks.com is in no way associated with CheezeFlixz (Me) or vice versa. Never heard of them, but they'd better stop using my name.

TeddyR TeddyR

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2008, 07:58:46 AM »

Yeah, sure Cheeze, we're supposed to believe it's just a coincidence  BounceGiggle

Amazon does list the studio that released the DVD, but that doesn't do you much good unless you know beforehand that there are several different releases and one is superior to another.  If you do a search, you'll probably come up with several seemingly identical results, and that usually makes me say "hmmm...".  The worst part is Amazon lumps all the user reviews together, so if one release is lousy quality, those reviews appear on all the releases, not just the one it applies to.  On the other hand, I bought a stereo receiver and it came in either black or silver, identical stereo, different colors, but Amazon was good enough to segregate the reviews so people wouldn't think the comments on the sound quality of the black one applied to the silver one as well.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Doc Daneeka
The Game is Finished?

It's neVer over!

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2008, 08:47:58 AM »

Yeah, sure Cheeze, we're supposed to believe it's just a coincidence  BounceGiggle

Amazon does list the studio that released the DVD, but that doesn't do you much good unless you know beforehand that there are several different releases and one is superior to another.  If you do a search, you'll probably come up with several seemingly identical results, and that usually makes me say "hmmm...".  The worst part is Amazon lumps all the user reviews together, so if one release is lousy quality, those reviews appear on all the releases, not just the one it applies to.  On the other hand, I bought a stereo receiver and it came in either black or silver, identical stereo, different colors, but Amazon was good enough to segregate the reviews so people wouldn't think the comments on the sound quality of the black one applied to the silver one as well.
This one was different. There is no Cheezy Flicks release available on Amazon, what mommy bought was listed (used, I think) under the Dark Sky product.

Kester Pelagius
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

Not a Time Lord!

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2008, 12:56:00 AM »

This one was different. There is no Cheezy Flicks release available on Amazon, what mommy bought was listed (used, I think) under the Dark Sky product.
[/quote]

Sounds like an instance of blatant bait and switch.

How long has it been since you purchased the item?  Did you try to contact the seller or Amazon regarding this when you discovered the 'error'?

Cosmic Cinema - SF articles and reviews.

Mise-en-scene Crypt - Rants, reviews, & more! (10% NSFW)
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #7 on: June 25, 2008, 07:04:16 AM »

Yeah, I'd definitely contact the seller about a refund.  I got a CD from one of the vendors the other day, it was the wrong one, so I emailed them and they're sending a postage paid envelope to send it back in.  Then they'll issue a refund.  Another time I ordered a DVD and it was defective, I emailed the vendor and they said just keep the DVD, they'd issue a refund.  Yet another time I ordered something from a vendor and never got it, and they ignored my emails.  So I contacted Amazon and they gave me a refund within 24 hours. 

Overall I think those guys have pretty good service - no need to keep something you're not happy with  Smile

When you order one for yourself, you could always contact the vendor first just to confirm that it's the EXACT release you want.  I think sometimes they're not terribly careful about how they list it and, I guess I can understand if somebody's selling thousands of DVD's and they overlook the fact that there are two different releases of the same movie.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2008, 07:08:03 AM by Jack » Logged

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Doc Daneeka
The Game is Finished?

It's neVer over!

« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2008, 08:37:59 AM »

I am afraid my mommy does not care as much as I do :P . Needless to say I informed her as soon as I saw this was a bum disk, she basically said it was the same movie.

Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Stop the senseless bootlegging of already-released-in-superior-editions DVDs! « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.