Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 04:57:08 PM
714454 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  The Olympics..... « previous next »
Poll
Question: Do you feel that the Olympics is just letting anything in anymore (no rules, boundaries, or set standards)???
Yes I do and is the committee on drugs? - 2 (18.2%)
Yes and I am fine with that. - 0 (0%)
I think I will boycott the Olympics this year and maybe forever! - 1 (9.1%)
What are the Olympics??? - 1 (9.1%)
No, every sport in the Olympics is a sport. - 0 (0%)
No, but they may be starting to slack a little. - 0 (0%)
I never pay any attention to the Olympics. - 7 (63.6%)
Total Voters: 11

Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: The Olympics.....  (Read 14043 times)
JPickettIII
A BAD MOVIE IS A TERRIBLE THING TO WASTE!
Bad Movie Lover

HELP! WE ARE STUCK IN A GOOD MOVIE!!!

« on: July 03, 2008, 08:47:23 PM »

I was watching the news this morning and saw something that made me go what the f%**!  9 News was doing a piece on the Olympics, and they were covering Trampoline competitions.  TRAMPOLINES!  What is up with this, I thought that the Olympic Committee was on drugs when the allowed Curling and Synchronized swimming in.  (I will admit, that Synchronized Swimming is more of a sport that Curling and bouncing on a Trampoline.)  I personally think that I will boycot the Olympics.  I understand that the REAL athletes work hard to prove that they are the best of the best, but with having the Olympics in a country that has a huge pollution problem, lets products out of their borders that could potentially kill kids and then evicting some (I think the number is) 1.5 million people so they could build the Olympic grounds is just something that I do not feel encompasses the Olympic Spirit.  Also with the addition of Trampoline events, (god knows what else they will allow in, maybe walking or going down a slide, or maybe swinging on swings!) just puts the icing on the cake.  If I upset some people  Hatred with my little rant, I apologize, I just feel that the Olympics could be so much more.

Just my two cents.....

John
« Last Edit: July 03, 2008, 08:54:22 PM by JPickettIII » Logged

\\\\\\\"Freedom is not free\"\\\\\\ or ///\"Where ever you go, there you are!\"///
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2008, 09:20:11 PM »

You should probably add "I never pay any attention to the Olympics" to the poll.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Patient7
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Mwa Ha Ha Ha Ha

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2008, 09:25:01 PM »

I don't really pay attention.

But they have Olympic trampolining and not Olympic bowling!!!!   Ludicrous.

Barbeque sauce tastes good on EVERYTHING, even salad.

Yes, salad.
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2008, 03:49:48 AM »

I would love to see cricket at the Olympics: yes, I know it can be boring sometimes but the new 20/20 version of the game where each side faces 120 balls (all done in less than two hours) and you have to clobber the ball like in baseball is undeniably exciting.  Wink

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2008, 06:17:02 AM »

I think some of the events are just plain stupid, like snowboarding.  A bunch of stoners doing what they do every weekend, and getting Olympic medals for it.  Why don't they have skateboarding?  Every single thing they do in snowboarding is ripped off from skateboarding.  Why is it an Olympic sport?  Because market research shows that it attracts the all important under 18 and 18 - 24 demographics, and they can charge more for advertising time.

Or mogul skiing, good grief.  Wouldn't you love to get a medal for being able to ski over bumps? 

My main gripe with the Olympics is that you'll be watching some event, and the announcer will say something like"See this guy?  He's probably going to finish in 80th place, out of 92 competitors.  But he had a real hard life growing up.  His brother had a rare disease, and we'll tell you all about in in the next 30 minutes.  The event itself, by the way, is 32 minutes long."

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2008, 06:49:07 AM »

Growing up I'd always watch the Olympics with my father.  Nowadays, I have no clue when its on.  If anyone should celebrate 15 minutes of fame its many of the Olympians.  I vaguely recall reading a story a long time ago about former Olympians selling their medals to pawn shops. 

Jack, I gave you karma for the snowboarding commentary.  It basically mirrors my feelings on it. Same thing with the curling competition which I've yet to figure out.  Back when old Hercules and his buddies supposedly started the event they kept it simple.  Nowadays, anything is a sport. Here are some other things the Olympic committee should consider.

Hopscotch
Jacks
Jumprope (I heard on the radio the other day some schools are making this a sport)
Four Corners
Dodgeball
Tag
Guitar Hero
Limbo
Hot Dog Eating Competitions
Table Hockey
Ski Ball
Dance Dance Revolution

Anything else you guys can think of?  I'm sure theres plenty. 
« Last Edit: July 04, 2008, 06:51:42 AM by The DarkSider » Logged

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2008, 07:06:55 AM »

Trivial Pursuit
X-Box
Monopoly
Lighting Farts
Lawn Mowing
Scrabble
Beer Drinking
Bar Fighting
Dwarf Tossing
Cat Juggling
Belly Bucking
and that carnival game where you use a water gun to fill a balloon.

Come to think of it, that Olympics would be more fun than the real one.

---------------------
Mr. DS
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2008, 07:25:56 AM »

Whack-A-Mole...I'd participate in that one. 
The Birthday Game (where you put a quarter on a month and if it is rolled you win)
Poker (don't say I didn't call it)
The Biggest Bowel Movement
Bad Movie Reviewing (hehe)

DarkSider's Realm

JPickettIII
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2008, 10:22:48 PM »

You should probably add "I never pay any attention to the Olympics" to the poll.

Karama to AndyC for the suggestion for the poll.  I will try and change that now.  Plus the great suggestions like Darksider. Thumbup
« Last Edit: July 04, 2008, 10:28:16 PM by JPickettIII » Logged

\\\\\\\"Freedom is not free\"\\\\\\ or ///\"Where ever you go, there you are!\"///
JPickettIII
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2008, 10:26:25 PM »

Growing up I'd always watch the Olympics with my father.  Nowadays, I have no clue when its on.  If anyone should celebrate 15 minutes of fame its many of the Olympians.  I vaguely recall reading a story a long time ago about former Olympians selling their medals to pawn shops. 

Jack, I gave you karma for the snowboarding commentary.  It basically mirrors my feelings on it. Same thing with the curling competition which I've yet to figure out.  Back when old Hercules and his buddies supposedly started the event they kept it simple.  Nowadays, anything is a sport. Here are some other things the Olympic committee should consider.

Hopscotch
Jacks
Jumprope (I heard on the radio the other day some schools are making this a sport)
Four Corners
Dodgeball
Tag
Guitar Hero
Limbo
Hot Dog Eating Competitions
Table Hockey
Ski Ball
Dance Dance Revolution

Anything else you guys can think of?  I'm sure theres plenty. 

Karma for the Darksider for some great suggestions. Thumbup

AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2008, 10:57:20 PM »

Can't forget Olympic Bingo. I can just see those old grannies, dressed in their countries' colours, smoking away as they dab at a few dozen cards each. It would add a whole new dimension to the games.

Amazing what you can do in a couple of minutes with GIMP and a graphic tablet  TeddyR

---------------------
Mr. DS
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2008, 07:38:50 AM »

Andy C, love the bingo idea.  Although most competitors would be in danger of breaking a hip. 

How about...
Stratego
Frisbee
Paddle Ball
Beat Boxing/Free Style Rapping
Paper Scissors Rock
One Potato, Two Potato, Three Potato Four
Odds Or Evens

DarkSider's Realm

AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2008, 07:59:18 AM »

Olympic Idol!

Or maybe Olympic sport fishing. That would be another one that would open the Olympics up to less conventionally athletic athletes.

Other potential Olympic sports are:

Tobacco Spitting
Tractor Pulling
Cow Tipping
Graffiti
Freestyle Cursing
Masturbation
Standup Comedy
and Telemarketing
« Last Edit: July 05, 2008, 09:32:17 AM by AndyC » Logged

---------------------
Mr. DS
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2008, 08:07:05 AM »

Or maybe Olympic sport fishing.

Yes, Olympic bass fishing...I can see it clearly now.  Perhaps you could parlay that into Olympic hunting.  Which would parlay into fish fillet and wild game prepping competitions. 

DarkSider's Realm

ulthar
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2008, 08:25:03 AM »

I have a few gripes with the Olympics in the modern era.

First, the biggest, is that they changed the 'rule' and started letting professional athletes enter.  I remember a time when you had to be an amateur, just some shmo who ran, or high jumped or swam or whatever.  Nowadays, it is people who 'what they do' is their sport to the point of the NBA sending a team a few years ago.

In my opinion, that single rule change completely destroyed the spirit of the "Games."

Second, when they changed it to every two years - summer/winter cycle.  When I was a young, I remember the Olympics being "special" because it only came every four years, and it was on/talked about pretty much from January through the summer.

Third, all the yacking.  JUST SHUT UP and let me watch some (the few that are left) otherwise ordinary people achieve greatness in what they love to do.  Man, I just don't really care about ALL this backstory...some, a comment or two, is cool.

Fourth, and I'll stop here, I get aggravated that the programmers decide NOT to show certain sports that I like and DO show, ad nauseum, the same stuff over and over.  We'll see EVERY conceivable swimming event and gymnastics and fair amount of track and field.  Sculling, sailing, archery, shooting, etc won't get any air time.  Too "slow," not "MTV" enough.

So, to sum up: I really got into the Olympics when I was younger; now, I really could not care less (about the coverage, at least).

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
Pages: [1] 2 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  The Olympics..... « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.