Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 11:16:12 PM
714424 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Newest Addition To My Family « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Newest Addition To My Family  (Read 5171 times)
Mr_Vindictive
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« on: July 08, 2008, 09:25:43 AM »

No, not a child.  Been there, not doing it again!

It's my new TV!  60" Mitsubishi DLP HDTV - Full 1080p.  TV was delivered yesterday and I honestly could not be happier.  I've been dealing with a CRT for much too long now.

Watched an HD-DVD copy of Full Metal Jacket last night and it was like I was viewing the film for the first time.  HD really is an amazing technology.  It's hard to convey just how superb the clarity of it is.

Anyway, here are some pictures:

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
Patient7

Mwa Ha Ha Ha Ha

« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2008, 10:45:47 AM »

It's beutiful. (sniff.)

Barbeque sauce tastes good on EVERYTHING, even salad.

Yes, salad.
Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2008, 11:03:04 AM »

My holy grail of movie watching is one of the Pioneer 1080p plasma televisions (around 50" as well), with a Pioneer Elite DVD player.  Congratulations on the new TV!

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
BTM

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2008, 12:04:55 PM »

Strange you should mention this, I was just checking out all the new tvs the other day at a store, comparing features and stuff.   Actually, there's NO way I can afford anything new right now, but it's fun to Window shop I guess. 

I couldn't help but think though, on some of the ones where the picture didn't look quite as good as the others, if they could be improved if I just fiddled with the Contrast controls and whatnot, you know? 

I mean, you look at two screens side by side, and you say, "Okay, this one on the left looks a bit more washed out, but maybe if they turned down the contrast..."  And I then I started to wonder, what if they intentionally jack around if they controls so the most expensive models look better than the cheaper ones?

But, maybe that's just me being paranoid.

Anyway, looks like you got a kickass tv, I envy you!  :)
« Last Edit: July 08, 2008, 10:15:08 PM by BTM » Logged

"Some people mature, some just get older." -Andrew Vachss
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2008, 12:06:07 PM »

Skaboi, we're all coming over to celebrate.  Have the cigars ready.  Cheers

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
Mofo Rising
Global Moderator

My cat can eat a whole watermelon!

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2008, 02:09:27 PM »

You're about to have another addition because I'm moving to your house.

I've been strongly considering upgrading to HDTV with the large screen. There is no way I need one, but I know I would forever be congratulating myself on my purchase.

So, congratulations!

Every dead body that is not exterminated becomes one of them. It gets up and kills. The people it kills, get up and kill.
dean

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2008, 06:27:00 PM »

60 inch is an absolute monster.  ABSOLUTE MONSTER of a tv.  How far back are you sitting?

Oh and as a seller of TVs and sound systems, I can tell you the 1080p Pioneer is the most beautiful thing ever.

And BTM?  We don't mess with our screens: leave them all at standard.  If anything we try and make them look as good as they can be by changing settings if necessary [though that's rare] but we never go the other way, and make one look worse.  Can't speak for others though...

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2008, 07:24:13 PM »

Thumbup Nice

I have a Samsung DLP 72" and a 58" HDTV and love them both. Once you go HD you never go back. Now you need (if you don't have) some THX, DTS 7.1 surround sound.

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2008, 07:59:51 PM »

Thumbup Nice

I have a Samsung...

I thought you only bought American?   Wink

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2008, 08:14:35 PM »

Thumbup Nice

I have a Samsung...

I thought you only bought American?   Wink

None are made here anymore ... the last Zenith plant in TN closed a few years ago.

BTM

« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2008, 10:18:14 PM »

And BTM?  We don't mess with our screens: leave them all at standard.  If anything we try and make them look as good as they can be by changing settings if necessary [though that's rare] but we never go the other way, and make one look worse.  Can't speak for others though...

I'm sorry, you mean "we" as in your family, or "we" as in whatever store you work at?

Course, come to think of it, do modern tvs even have those manual settings anymore?  I know, for instance, my DVD players has just four "styles" you can set to view the DVD on (like Cinema and... well, I forget the rest) thinking modern tvs might do the same.

My TV is so old I had to buy an ADAPTER so it would play DVDs.  And whenever the scene is completely black, I see little lines waving on it that bug the hell out of me.  Grrrrrrr....

dean

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2008, 12:07:20 AM »

Apologies BTM, suppose I wasn't clear enough: The store I work at.

Though I do like the idea of my family being a group of TV settings change Ninjas running from house to house changing contrast and aspect ratios and whatnot.  Mwhwhahahaa  TeddyR  [mental health where did you go??]

Oh and to answer your second question, most TVs will have a few settings presets, such as "Game", "Cinema" or the old "Dynamic" which makes everyone look like they have fake tan [it turns all the colours up]

They usually should have basic colour/brightness/contrast settings too, and depending on brand you can even dial back certain colours such as the usual Red Green or Blue.

I usually don't bother too much with the presets and leave it at standard.  If required I'll mess with contrast ratios but that really depends on your tastes and the room you have it in.  Obviously everyone's situation requires different things such as alot of light in the room/video games etc.

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
Mr_Vindictive

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2008, 06:48:36 PM »

60 inch is an absolute monster.  ABSOLUTE MONSTER of a tv.  How far back are you sitting?

Oh and as a seller of TVs and sound systems, I can tell you the 1080p Pioneer is the most beautiful thing ever.

I'm sitting about 8 - 10 ft away from the TV.  It's a bit close, but the apartment's living room isn't the biggest in the world.  I've not noticed any issues with sitting that close though. 

As for the settings, I did play around with those shortly after setting up the TV.  One thing I have noticed with HDTVs is that the standard def channels on cable look absolutely awful.  They are blurry, have a lot of video noise, washed out color, etc.  I fine tuned the TV's settings until I got it just right.  The channels still don't look great but they look much better.

I just hooked up my PC via DVI-HDMI cable and played some World Of Warcraft in 60" HD.  I must say it's unreal just how much fun that is.  Going to have to pick up a wireless keyboard and mouse now...

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
BTM

« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2008, 09:53:51 AM »

Speaking of such, I remember Drew Carrey once said something along the lines of, if you have a badass TV, NO ONE will notice how s**tty the rest of your apartment/house looks.  It's like the TV just blocks all the rest of the memories out! 

sprite75
The Cat Herder of Badmovies

I'm a Mac...

« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2008, 12:28:19 PM »

I've asked my brother about the possibility of going in and getting Mom and Dad a new TV for Christmas this year.  I noticed how crappy the picture on their 27 inch Sony that's about nine years old looks when compared to HD TVs.

God of making the characteristic which becomes dirty sends the hurricane.
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Newest Addition To My Family « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.