Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 06:37:05 AM
714463 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7743 Members
Latest Member: medikam
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Press Releases and Film News  |  Bush claims executive privilege on CIA leak « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Bush claims executive privilege on CIA leak  (Read 41158 times)
AnubisVonMojo
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Jesus H. Chelios!

« Reply #15 on: July 19, 2008, 08:16:34 AM »

Actually, the phrase is "not less" than 5 years.

I know Indy, I said "5+ years", i.e. "more than 5 years" = "no less than 5 years". I just find it funny that it lists treason as punishable by death or 5+ years in prison instead of something maybe equally as punishing like 30+ years or life imprisonment.

The funny thing about the Clinton "firings" and the Bush "firings" though is I don't remember waves of controversy and people resigning when Bubba was pulling the trigger. Sure, I was still a teen with better things to worry about at the time, but I think I'd remember hearing about something like that in my Participation In Government class or something.

I am surprised though that during this entire topic no one mentioned that Clinton was the first guy since Nixon to actually pull the "Executive Privilege" crap... though that might be because Starr, a Republican, denied him that privilege, citing that no one is above the law and that information relevant to an investigation has to be turned over to prosecutors. And Bubba was just trying to keep everybody from finding out about how he was getting his knob slobbed by some porker at his desk!

Oh the tax payer money that was wasted on publicly exposing Clinton as a pervert, and how nobody cared afterwards. Hell, maybe unemployment, the national deficit, the mortgage crisis, and failing banks would all go away if Ann Coulter would get on her knees and do her patriotic duty for Bush once a week. TeddyR
« Last Edit: July 19, 2008, 08:56:51 AM by AnubisVonMojo » Logged

"Don't make me stain my last clean shirt with the back of your head." - Shatter Dead
"A grizzly bear with a chainsaw. Now THERE's a killing machine!" - The Simpsons
"I've always wanted to make love to an angry welder." - Jaws: the Revenge
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #16 on: July 19, 2008, 08:37:48 AM »

Bush fired seven U.S. attorneys, not seven Supreme Court Justices . . .  thought I made that clear.

Actually, Executive Privilege has been used on occasion between Clinton, Nixon, and Bush - Reagan had to apply it a time or two in the Iran/Contra mess, I think.  The whole point is that checks and balances cannot overturn the separation of powers.  Those are the twin pillars our founders built the system on, designed to make sure that America could never become a dictatorship or monarchy.

You have to realize that there had never been a successful Republic the size of the U.S. in all of history, and the Founders had no guarantee it would work.  By and large, their experiment has been successful.  I mean, love him or hate him, Bush is gone on January 20.  Congress had defied him and the Supreme Court has contradicted him, yet all the members of those two chambes can go home at night without fearing a midnight knock on the door as the Secret Police come to haul them away.  The system still works today, and I think that Washington, Franklin, Madison, Hamilton and their cronies who gathered at Philadelphia in 1787 to create it would be happy to know that.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2008, 08:53:12 AM by indianasmith » Logged

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
AnubisVonMojo
B-Movie Site Webmaster

Jesus H. Chelios!

« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2008, 08:56:34 AM »

Bush fired seven U.S. attorneys, not seven Supreme Court Justices . . .  thought I made that clear.

My mistake, thoughts melting together. Fixed.

"Don't make me stain my last clean shirt with the back of your head." - Shatter Dead
"A grizzly bear with a chainsaw. Now THERE's a killing machine!" - The Simpsons
"I've always wanted to make love to an angry welder." - Jaws: the Revenge
CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2008, 09:14:01 AM »

...yet all the members of those two chambes can go home at night without fearing a midnight knock on the door as the Secret Police come to haul them away.

That's really to bad isn't it, there are a lot in Congress that need to be hauled away and never heard from again. I'd start with Pelosi, Reed, Schumer, Boxer, Waxman and oh so many more.

indianasmith
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2008, 10:15:28 AM »

That choice can only be made by the voters in their districts . . . who unfortunately seem to be as looney as they are!

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2008, 11:40:56 AM »

That choice can only be made by the voters in their districts . . . who unfortunately seem to be as looney as they are!

Yes I know, but wouldn't be great to see Nancy Palooney and Harry Greed rounded up and hauled off, never to be seen or heard from again.

indianasmith
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #21 on: July 19, 2008, 12:01:42 PM »

Reminds me of a quote from a 10 year old about our government:

"Democracy is the greatest form of government in the world - except that part about letting any old yokel vote!"

RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #22 on: July 19, 2008, 04:20:27 PM »

I don't need a reason to not like Bush. I live in a suppposdley free country...if I want to think he is a jerk off with his head lodged in his a$$...I can. Golf playing while he sends others out to die. He's a puke....a total puppet. The worst example of how corporations control the goverment. It just seems to get more blatant . Nobody even hides it very well any more. Makes the Nixon adminastrtion look like pikers. Do I even care if I make sense/ NO. My guts tell me he is an a$$hole. Meh.

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
indianasmith
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #23 on: July 19, 2008, 06:32:54 PM »

You are absolutely, 100% entitled to that opinion.  I have met the man, and he came across as a very friendly, down-to-earth, nice guy.  I know a lot of people who have met him in person, and nearly every report I have heard about his personality and attitude is similar to my impression.  The Secret Service loves him because he actually treats them with respect and knows their names, sends cards on their birthdays, etc.

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #24 on: July 19, 2008, 06:59:16 PM »

You are absolutely, 100% entitled to that opinion.  I have met the man, and he came across as a very friendly, down-to-earth, nice guy.  I know a lot of people who have met him in person, and nearly every report I have heard about his personality and attitude is similar to my impression.  The Secret Service loves him because he actually treats them with respect and knows their names, sends cards on their birthdays, etc.

I personally can't believe Bush got elected to run the largest democracy in the world when he couldn't even run the Texas Rangers.  First thing I thought when he got elected was, "Great.  Now the USA will never have any pitching."

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
indianasmith
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2008, 09:30:13 PM »

Dude, nobody can run the Texas Rangers.  The BallPark in Arlington is the place where good pitching goes to die.  Not even Nolan Ryan could rescue that franchise!

Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2008, 10:45:03 PM »

Good discussion, guys.  Okay, I'm wading in. 
Indiana, you know you have my respect and trust.  You are perhaps the only contributor on this board who understood my position regarding the karma attacks (my frustration was NOT over stupid karma points, but simply the categorical assassination of my points for the purpose of revenge.)  However, I am appalled by your continued support for this President.  How would you expect him to act when you meet him?  Pull his hand away just as you put yours out and run it through his hair?  Check this out:  http://politicalhumor.about.com/library/blbushresume.htm 

More than any other reason, BUSH is why I turn to the left. 

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
indianasmith
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2008, 11:19:43 PM »

I've seen that so-called "resume" before . . . it is full of lies, half-truths, distortions, and incomplete information.

I don't support everything Bush has done.  His continued insistence on granting the Palestinians a state of their own when they have done nothing to deserve one and have shown no evidence of being capable of governing it drives me up a wall.

But I do believe the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan were just, noble, and right.  The economy actually did remarkably well overall during the Bush years . . . it only began to tank after 2006 when the Democrats won control of Congress.  Despite the strongest possible attempts by the Press and Congress to turn public opinion against the war in Iraq, Bush has stuck to his guns and now the war is almost won.  The tax cuts he put in place stimulated the economy and helped America recover from the enormous financial consequences of 9/11.

I will say this - I am fully willing to admit that my support of Bush could be misplaced.  The thing is, it takes about 25 years to even begin to get perspective on the administration of ANY  U.S. President.  Harry Truman left office with a 27% approval rating, universally derided as a man too small for the office, a simpleton who was too weak domestically and too soft on communism.  Today, history ranks him as the second greatest President of the 20th century, second only to FDR.  And nearly everyone admits, in terms of personal character, he was a MUCH nicer guy than FDR.

On the other hand, Warren Harding was popular with the public, looked Presidential, and enjoyed high approval ratings.  Most historians now rate him as one of the worst Presidents of all time, possibly THE worst.

I am willing to let history judge this President, but I am pretty confident that, 50 years down the road, he will be remembered more kindly than he is being treated now.

Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2008, 11:26:10 PM »

I've seen that so-called "resume" before . . . it is full of lies, half-truths, distortions, and incomplete information.

I don't support everything Bush has done.  His continued insistence on granting the Palestinians a state of their own when they have done nothing to deserve one and have shown no evidence of being capable of governing it drives me up a wall.

But I do believe the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan were just, noble, and right.  The economy actually did remarkably well overall during the Bush years . . . it only began to tank after 2006 when the Democrats won control of Congress.  Despite the strongest possible attempts by the Press and Congress to turn public opinion against the war in Iraq, Bush has stuck to his guns and now the war is almost won.  The tax cuts he put in place stimulated the economy and helped America recover from the enormous financial consequences of 9/11.

I will say this - I am fully willing to admit that my support of Bush could be misplaced.  The thing is, it takes about 25 years to even begin to get perspective on the administration of ANY  U.S. President.  Harry Truman left office with a 27% approval rating, universally derided as a man too small for the office, a simpleton who was too weak domestically and too soft on communism.  Today, history ranks him as the second greatest President of the 20th century, second only to FDR.  And nearly everyone admits, in terms of personal character, he was a MUCH nicer guy than FDR.

On the other hand, Warren Harding was popular with the public, looked Presidential, and enjoyed high approval ratings.  Most historians now rate him as one of the worst Presidents of all time, possibly THE worst.

I am willing to let history judge this President, but I am pretty confident that, 50 years down the road, he will be remembered more kindly than he is being treated now.
How ironic that my biggest supporter should be a "Bushie" or "Rightie!"   TeddyR  Uhm, that website is "political humor" afterall...  Thumbup

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #29 on: July 20, 2008, 12:00:27 AM »

Quote from: Allhallowsday
However, I am appalled by your continued support for this President.

I find that statement appalling, I guess those of use that have served have a greater respect for the office.
So while you're busy hating Bush, your Democratic led Congress has a 7% approval rating, their continue to block our energy independents, they waste time and money investigating baseball, they're letting tax cuts the save you $2500 dollars a year expire, they're pushing to reinstate the death tax, raise the capital gains tax and heres the kicker they want to increase the gas tax by 10 cents per gallon while we're paying record prices ... and that my friend I find appalling!

Bush hasn't been perfect, but he hasn't been nearly as bad as you'd like us to believe, put down the Daily Kos, New York Times, NBC Kool-aid. I don't expect to change your mind, and there is no point in trying to. What I will do is to continue to support the Commander and Chief as long as I think they are acting in the bast interest of the country. Call me a Bushie, call me a Rightie ... it's better than being a wrongie.

Quote from: Indy

Ditto.

Pages: 1 [2] 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Press Releases and Film News  |  Bush claims executive privilege on CIA leak « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.