Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 04:55:25 PM
714488 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7744 Members
Latest Member: MichelFran
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  The Entity (1981 ) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Entity (1981 )  (Read 2975 times)
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« on: August 02, 2008, 09:04:25 AM »

I'd been looking for the perfect companion to Morgan Fairchilds ...I can't remember what it's called.  the stalker movie she did.  and here it is.  compellingly trashy  woman vs ghost / house turkey that could be played on the Lifetime network  or TNT at like 3 am.   non sequitar: When I was in college I read a story by franz kafka abuot a guy who turns into a bug.  that's what the whole story was about at least as much of it as i read.  the guy turns into a huge bug and he has to manuver back to his room and try and figure out how to be a bug.  Babrabara Hershey is being manhandled or ghost handled as it were, no one believes her and this is her existential conflict.  It's probably more like the twilight zone with the monster on the wing, but I like comparing it to the bug book.   As if this wasn't enough hell for one lifetime,  she goes out and engages the services of dweeb Ron Silver as a pyschiatrist.  the lesson being don't go to campus walk in clinics, pay for a real MD.  Hershey does  some pretty embarassing overacting or method acting at points but it just adds to the already high camp value.    One element a great turkey often has is that it is actually kind of good, which  makes it embarassing and thus all the more  unpleasurable to you.  "Ice Ice baby" by vanilla Ice is a good example of this ( "cool as ice" is not).  "the entity" moves well and is even interesting in places.  Another notable thing about this movie is the insane incidental music in the first half which is minimalist ultra aggro industrial metal a la Helmet or Big Black, pretty forward looking for 1981.  Finally,   I won't say where, but at one point the ghost utters something obscene to Barabara Hershey and you need to turn your volume up so you can hear it.   Don't sit around the whle two hours ( they had alot to say)  waiting for it but it is choice.

Small | Large
« Last Edit: August 02, 2008, 09:20:21 AM by lester1/2jr » Logged
Cult Movie Mania
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2008, 02:44:16 PM »

I saw The Entity not terribly long ago.  I wouldn't call the film a complete turkey - it had some redeeming features.  I thought Ron Silver was good in his role.  The one thing I recall I liked about it was the Sound Design - view the movie again just for the startling sound effects and I think you'll agree they did especially well in that area.

Note that the late Stan Winston did the SPFX make-up, which included the full-body "ghostly gropings" of Barbara Hershey.

Your weird wide web HQ for the BEST Cult and Horror Movie coverage!
www.cultmoviemania.com
www.filthythemovie.com
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2008, 02:54:39 PM »

The Morgan Fairchild movie was (er...still is...actually...) the SEDUCTION (1982).

I saw the ENIITY a looooooooooooong time ago...but  was too drunk to remembeer what the hell it was all about!  Bluesad

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2008, 04:26:54 PM »

All I remember about THE ENTITIY is the multiple nude scenes Hershey did . . . of course, I was watching it on the mess deck of  a ship full of sailors at the time.  It got an enthusiastic reception.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Cult Movie Mania
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2008, 07:10:33 PM »

All I remember about THE ENTITIY is the multiple nude scenes Hershey did . . . of course, I was watching it on the mess deck of  a ship full of sailors at the time.  It got an enthusiastic reception.

I'm pretty sure Hershey's nude scenes were body doubles.  Except for Stan Winston's full body effect (with Hershey's head) of her being attacked by the entity.

www.cultmoviemania.com
www.filthythemovie.com
Dave M
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2008, 08:00:18 PM »

I could have sworn that was a real boob being blown on with a compressor (like how they used to simulate G forces in old space movies), until I saw some kind of 'making of' thing, I think it was on TMC. Maybe that just goes to show how little close up boob identification I've done.
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2008, 08:39:53 AM »

youtube appears to have the entire movie posted in ten minute bits.

if someone wanted to humor me,  look at the very last segment right before the closing credits.  wait till the door slams athen turn the volume way way up so you can make out what the ghost says to barbara hershey of "beaches" and "hannah and her sisters" fame.  Thumbup
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2008, 01:00:40 PM »

I'm pretty sure Hershey's nude scenes were body doubles.  Except for Stan Winston's full body effect (with Hershey's head) of her being attacked by the entity.

Do you think a shipload of sailors cared WHOSE boob it was?

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
ghouck
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Afro-Mullets RULE!

« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2008, 11:07:01 PM »

Is this the one where they try and FREEZE the ghost?

Raw bacon is GREAT! It's like regular bacon, only faster, and it doesn't burn the roof of your mouth!

Happiness is green text in the "Stuff To Watch For" section.

James James: The man so nice, they named him twice.

"Aw man, this thong is chafing my balls" -Lloyd Kaufman in Poultrygeist.

"There's always time for lubricant" -Orlando Jones in Evolution
LilCerberus
A Very Bad Person, overweight bald guy with a missing tooth, and

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2008, 11:49:43 PM »

One of my favs, albeit, if there were ever a (Ahem) good movie, IMHO, to justify the <<RW-FF>> button on your VCR, this would be it.  Wink

It made me re-watch Tscherkassky's Outer Space this afternoon, although I still can't make any sense of it.
All I ever get out of it is a headache, but I'd still like to see the other films he made out of cut up Entity footage.

"Science Fiction & Nostalgia have become the same thing!" - T Bone Burnett
The world runs off money, even for those with a warped sense of what the world is.
CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2008, 12:07:39 AM »

Do you think a shipload of sailors cared WHOSE boob it was?

No because they were watching Ron Silver .... ba-ba-bomp

Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2008, 07:42:45 AM »

One of my favs, albeit, if there were ever a (Ahem) good movie, IMHO, to justify the <<RW-FF>> button on your VCR, this would be it.  Wink

It's those kind of remarks that cause me to put stuff on my wishlist  TeddyR

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Cult Movie Mania
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2008, 08:23:51 AM »

Is this the one where they try and FREEZE the ghost?

Yes; they re-create Hershey's house in a lab built in a gym(?) with giant gas tanks above it.  It's actually a nice, sci-fi touch.

www.cultmoviemania.com
www.filthythemovie.com
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2008, 09:03:06 AM »

It's at 6:07

Small | Large
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  The Entity (1981 ) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.