Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 08:03:06 AM
714434 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  NPR radio segment on Nuke movies! « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: NPR radio segment on Nuke movies!  (Read 891 times)
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« on: August 15, 2008, 01:07:26 PM »

I happen to catch this yesterday.  It was pretty awesome and I would recommend listening to it.  it's about 15 minutes long.

When they introduced it and soliceted calls to phone in their favorites I was embarassed that I couldn't really think of any, but now I've got some good ones to check out, though I can't seem to find "threads" .

Testament and Fail-Safe look promising
« Last Edit: August 15, 2008, 01:10:03 PM by lester1/2jr » Logged
soylentgreen
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2008, 02:43:43 PM »

Lester, TESTAMENT is a real emotional punch in the gut.  Carefully drawn out in slow heart-wrenchingly believable steps, it does with dialogue driven simplicity what many nuke films can't do with two hours of explosions and vaporizations.

Russell Mulcahy's 2000 Aussie remake of ON THE BEACH for Showtime is also quite effective.  Having the main Australian characters played by, well, Australians goes a long way towards making the whole enterprise work.  Even with the numerous times I've watched it, the final ten minutes still evoke a strong reaction from me.  Bluesad

I also strongly recommend BY BY DAWN'S EARLY LIGHT.  I'm sure I may have pushed this one here before, but it is a superb thriller concerning the first 12 hours of an escalating nuclear war between Russia and the United States.  Told from the point of view of a B-52 crew on their way to Russia, the command planes roaming the American skies, the President and his mistakenly installed hawkish successor, this HBO film from 1990 ratchets up the tension relentlessly as the command and control structure of the American forces falls apart under the strain.

You may be able to spot THREADS on youtube.  Every so often someone posts it there in multiple segments.  If you can though, don't watch it that way.  If you need, let me know and I'm sure I could get it to you somehow.  Along with that one, you should check out Peter Watkins THE WAR GAME from 1965.  It's cut from the same cloth as THREADS.  Very well made and downright chilling, the BBC refused to even air the thing, despite having produced it.

That's my driver's license picture....I hate that picture!"
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  NPR radio segment on Nuke movies! « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.