Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 06:53:36 AM
714510 Posts in 53098 Topics by 7744 Members
Latest Member: MichelFran
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  The let's track the remakes thread. « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: The let's track the remakes thread.  (Read 9370 times)
Cthulhu
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2008, 08:01:05 AM »

Here's an idea:

JUST RUN THESE MOVIES IN THE THEATRES AGAIN!

Most of rights are still in the hands of the same companies, yes?

I was thinking just the same thing!
Why remake the film? Why do you ruin every aspect of it? Just run them again in theaters! I'd go see them.
Cthulhu

« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2008, 08:07:52 AM »

Here's an idea:

Film-hipsters (and try to tell me the internet hasn't made fertile ground for more of them) will pack theatres at midnight to see a classic on a big screen. Tap into that already! Promote it right and you can even build additional interest for a remake rather than resentment.

As much as we might be against remakes on some loose aesthetic principal, some remakes ARE BETTER (compare ‘the hills have eyes’ and try to tell me the original was better), some are just taken in such a different direction that they can't be compared, and really, filmmaking today is so different from filmmaking a few decades ago that it's almost akin to the argument against turning books into movies.

I think more books should be turned into movies. There's lots of good material out there to work with and seeing as producers and writers are out of ideas, it makes sense. I don't like it all because I hate CGI with a passion for a start. They always use really dumb people from souless, vapid tv shows and the original films should be able to stand alone. The reason I hate remakes the most tho', is because people (kids in general) think that these are geniunely "new" concepts and characters. Like my nephew thinks transformers were only created the year that CGI fest came out.
That's a good idea. But they should stay close to the original material. I mean think of Running man. It was good, cheesy fun, but it had nothing to do with the book.
Niolani
Dedicated Viewer

Space warrior

« Reply #17 on: August 30, 2008, 12:42:22 AM »

I think more books should be turned into movies. There's lots of good material out there to work with and seeing as producers and writers are out of ideas, it makes sense. I don't like it all because I hate CGI with a passion for a start. They always use really dumb people from souless, vapid tv shows and the original films should be able to stand alone. The reason I hate remakes the most tho', is because people (kids in general) think that these are geniunely "new" concepts and characters. Like my nephew thinks transformers were only created the year that CGI fest came out.

I agree. Some books would make great movies, like Christopher Moore's work, for example.  Smile
« Last Edit: September 02, 2008, 01:04:19 PM by Niolani » Logged
the master
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2008, 03:54:06 PM »

Here's an idea:

I was thinking just the same thing!
Why remake the film? Why do you ruin every aspect of it? Just run them again in theaters! I'd go see them.
yes i agree if a theather near me started showing classic horror films id be there every day Twirling
Joe the Destroyer
« Reply #19 on: September 02, 2008, 08:47:41 PM »

Rocky Horror remake?

No no no no NOOO!

That's almost as depressing as the idea of a Suspiria remake.  Grr!
Yaddo 42

Where's that brick.......

« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2008, 09:01:30 PM »

For the most part the recent spate of remakes have sucked, but I just have to remember that Hollywood has always been remaking old films and doing new adaptations of books.

The version of Brewster's Millions with Richard Pryor and John candy some of us remember from the 80s was IIRC the seventh version of that story. I've only seen one other of them.

The Four Feathers has been adapted from the source novel about as many times. Footage from the acclaimed version from 1939 was even used in a remake in the 50s by the Korda Bros. who made it.

John Barrymore starred in two films based on Moby Dick in the silent era. I don't either one was supposed to be faithful to the original, in one Ahab was a noble dashing hero even.

John Wayne starred in and Howard Hawks directed two films, El Dorado & Rio Lobo that were remakes of their beloved film Rio Bravo. Hawks spent most of his later film directing career recycling ideas, plot elements, and often dialogue. They got blander with each succeeding version, but I find the original overrated, YMMV.

So it's not anything new, I wish they would adapt more books also, but remakes are just a fact of life with the movies.

Personally, I wish they would remake films that just missed the mark of being great rather than tinkering with classic. Death Race was so cookie cutter they could have dropped the Frankenstein and Machine Gun Joe connections and called the movie somehting else. They certain defanged the dark satire of the original; and they were even squimish about showing violence to the female "navigators".

My vote for a remake is the Michael Caine/Mike Hodges diamond in the rough Pulp, the plot sounds like perfect material for a Charlie Kaufman-esque makeover.

blah blah stuff blah blah obscure pop culture reference blah blah clever turn of phrase blah blah bad pun blah blah bad link blah blah zzzz.....
Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #21 on: October 23, 2023, 03:54:23 PM »

15 years later, I am not sure it would be possible to track all the remakes.

But do you understand That none of this will matter Nothing can take your pain away
Pages: 1 [2]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  The let's track the remakes thread. « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.