Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 09:23:40 PM
714419 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  An Unusual Case In My State « previous next »
Poll
Question: Would you feel comfortable with an HIV positive person handling your food at a fast food restaurant?
Yes - 6 (54.5%)
No - 5 (45.5%)
Total Voters: 11

Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: An Unusual Case In My State  (Read 7417 times)
Ash
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« on: September 09, 2008, 11:34:21 AM »

There's a case here in Iowa that's been getting some media attention lately.
Apparently, a gay man was fired from a McDonald's because he is HIV positive.
Check out the article here first...it explains everything:

http://www.kcrg.com/news/local/27969054.html

I have no problem with him being gay.  That doesn't factor in for me.
But I do admit that I would be a little uncomfortable having an HIV positive person handling my food when I go to a restaurant.
They say that you cannot get HIV that way.  That this guy could not pass it on to others by preparing our food.
But what if he sustained a cut that bled?  Even if it wasn't near the food, it's still a major biohazard.

There's just something unsettling to me about having an HIV positive person prepare my food even though the experts say it's "safe".

I'm curious to know your opinion on this issue.
What do you think?
« Last Edit: September 09, 2008, 11:38:26 AM by Ash » Logged
ulthar

I AM serious, and stop calling me Shirley

« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2008, 11:47:19 AM »

They say that you cannot get HIV that way.  That this guy could not pass it on to others by preparing our food.
But what if he sustained a cut that bled?  Even if it wasn't near the food, it's still a major biohazard.

There's just something unsettling to me about having an HIV positive person prepare my food even though the experts say it's "safe".

I'm curious to know your opinion on this issue.
What do you think?

If ANYONE, HIV positive or not, bleeds into your food, it's probably not too good.  What if they have HIV and don't know it yet, or Hep-C or anything else?

The danger is proper hygiene of the food handler, not whether he has already tested positive for HIV or not.

My opinion, since you asked.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Professor Hathaway:  I noticed you stopped stuttering.
Bodie:      I've been giving myself shock treatments.
Professor Hathaway: Up the voltage.

--Real Genius
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2008, 11:56:41 AM »

Once the first case of HIV being transmitted though casual food preparation arises I might take note, but until then, I don't care.  Some possibilities are so remote that they're not worth worrying about.  I'm not concerned in the least about the chances of contracting e. coli at a fast food joint, and that's actually happened before.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
akiratubo

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2008, 12:06:24 PM »

If someone got cut and bled into food, I would hope that food would be thrown away and not served.  Buggedout

Kneel before Dr. Hell, the ruler of this world!
ghouck

Afro-Mullets RULE!

« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2008, 02:16:31 PM »

If someone got cut and bled into food, I would hope that food would be thrown away and not served.  Buggedout

If it was noticed in the first place. I know during years of being a machinist, I would often see blood and not know where it came from until I was at home in the shower.

Raw bacon is GREAT! It's like regular bacon, only faster, and it doesn't burn the roof of your mouth!

Happiness is green text in the "Stuff To Watch For" section.

James James: The man so nice, they named him twice.

"Aw man, this thong is chafing my balls" -Lloyd Kaufman in Poultrygeist.

"There's always time for lubricant" -Orlando Jones in Evolution
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2008, 05:56:17 PM »

In the realm of food prep, so many chances are out there for people to cut themselves.  Blood exposure can be deadly and quite frankly, to me its not worth the fluke chance something bad can happen.  Sure scientists can say now "theres no risk" but we all know how those minds change eventually.   After all, people already are killing themselves enough by slamming in a cholesterol loaded burger into their gullet, why add one more health risk factor?

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
ghouck

Afro-Mullets RULE!

« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2008, 06:20:45 PM »

One problem with it is when someone inexplicably (to them) is found to be HIV positive, others always find the reason.

A. "You had unprotected sex"
B. "No I didn't, I used a condom"
A. "Then you used it wrong"
B. "I'm married"
A. "You must have cheated then"
B. "No, Never have"
A. "Then your spouse did"
B. "No, Never"
A. "Well, there's something you did wrong you're not admitting"
B. "No, Nothing"
A. "Then your spouse is hiding something."

Remember when AIDS first came to public light, EVERY guy that was HIV positive was 100% with no argument a homosexual.

Raw bacon is GREAT! It's like regular bacon, only faster, and it doesn't burn the roof of your mouth!

Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2008, 07:40:04 AM »

Remember when AIDS first came to public light, EVERY guy that was HIV positive was 100% with no argument a homosexual.

That's not true at all. Plenty of heterosexual men contracted AIDS back then and were HIV+.

-Coming back to the food thing, there's probably been times when this has actually been the case with all of us. We buy fast-food or eat a meal at a restaurant and someone has prepared the food who possibly had AIDS, we were totally unaware.

I've worked in hotels and been part of the catering industry and alot of crazy stuff goes on, sometimes other risky events occur and are swept under the carpet. I've got cut millions of times in kitchens and one time I sliced my finger in half and the hotel didn't even have a first-aid kit!!  Buggedout

Also at one hotel, I was accused of being a heroin addict (which was untrue, as I've never done any drugs ever). I was nearly fired by the manager due to his view on it, never mind the fact I was a great employee. Even after he found out it was a false accusation, he still treated me like some junkie-leper.

I don't have AIDS myself, but it's a touchy subject with me and I've been through some harsh stuff in relation to the disease.

ghouck

Afro-Mullets RULE!

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2008, 09:59:49 AM »

That's not true at all. Plenty of heterosexual men contracted AIDS back then and were HIV+.

I know that, , but the point I was making was that it was darn near impossible for any straight man to convince people he was straight, , , it was in the beginning accepted as a homosexual only disease. You couldn't convincepeople otherwise. Fast forward 5 years and it's common knowledge.

Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2008, 10:02:00 AM »

Gotcha!  Thumbup

JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2008, 01:53:09 PM »

I really wonder if fast food and other restaurant employees shouldn't be wearing gloves when handling any food as I do believe they already do at Subway.

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
Patient7

Mwa Ha Ha Ha Ha

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2008, 05:41:02 PM »

I really wonder if fast food and other restaurant employees shouldn't be wearing gloves when handling any food as I do believe they already do at Subway.

And Taco Bell.  I don't know why but I just don't want to touch this issue with a ten foot pole.

Barbeque sauce tastes good on EVERYTHING, even salad.

Yes, salad.
Dennis
Yes, it's true, absolutely true. I am a

I'm sorry, did I break your concentration?

« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2008, 08:53:19 PM »

I wouldn't be surprised to find out that my fast food (McDonald's, Taco Bell, etc.) or restruant food (Denny's, I HOP, etc.) has been prepared by an HIV positive guy or gal, when it comes to this sort of thing you just have to trust that the people involved are exercising the same care you would preparing food for your family, that they're not dropping food on the floor or spitting in it or doing all the other stuff you can see in a comedy movie. My answer is that it is only a minor concern, not something I worry about to any great extent.

Reach for the heavens in hope for the future for all that we can be, not what we are. Henry John Deutschendorf Jr.
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2008, 04:14:11 PM »

There are a lot of terrible illnesses you could catch from unsanitary food prep, HIV being the least likely.  Worrying about it should mean you stay out of those junk food havens.

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2008, 08:37:11 PM »

The restaurant I work in, it's a mandated rule you have to wear gloves at all times.  Everyone I work with does wear them, too.  But I believe that rule just applies to the prep people, the cooks, and the dish and shake guys.  I don't believe waitresses are required to wear them, as they're handling money, etc. 

As far as the HIV thing goes, it never concerned me come to think of it.  Now it's in the back of my mind, so thanks Ash. Wink

Kidding.

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  An Unusual Case In My State « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.