Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 04:41:30 AM
712925 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  Allan Quatermain and the Lost City of Gold « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Allan Quatermain and the Lost City of Gold  (Read 36789 times)
Andrew
Administrator
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I know where my towel is.

« on: September 27, 2008, 09:45:20 AM »

Where else can you see James Earl Jones wearing a leopard skin smock and pretending to be a tribal chieftain, Sharon Stone (showing no fur), and Elvira as a jungle queen?

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2008, 10:33:34 AM »

I gotta check this one out, sounds fun  TeddyR

That theme music in the video clip sounds vaguely familiar;   I wish I could place it...

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Menard
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2008, 11:38:24 AM »

I think Andrew hit one of those moments where he forgot what the name of his website is and looked for the flaws rather than the entertainment in the flaws.

Of course this isn't a good or great movie, but it is fun; perhaps because of its over the top silliness.

I liked this much more than the first one. In the first one, I was waiting for something to happen; I'm still waiting. TongueOut

Bullet proof gold lame tank tops?

How does one discover if they can break rocks with their head? (certainly an interesting question)

Does one really have to be surprised if a large man wielding a huge ax can break a table with it?

Yes, dynamite is magical; especially if as incompetently used as this.

I had a lot more fun watching this movie than the first one. It may not be that good of a movie, but it is fun.

Oh, BTW, the site is called BadMovies.org; just in case anybody was confused.
Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2008, 11:54:15 AM »

I think Andrew hit one of those moments where he forgot what the name of his website is and looked for the flaws rather than the entertainment in the flaws.

Well, I had a hard time deciding on one or two slimes for this one, and actually made a change about 5 minutes after posting the update to downgrade it from two to a single drop (and I'm still not sure that's what I want).  For me, the quirkiness did not quite work.  It was always just barely off in some way.  Things seemed to happen because the story needed them to happen to continue to the next scene.  The best part about James Earl Jones was his putting down Swarma, which was also the best character interaction in the script.  Sharon Stones character was pretty much wasted.  Swarma did little more than annoy me.  Above all, the end was the weakest part (much like the first).

I did my best to make the film entertain me; it is supposed to be a bit different than that. 

The movie was entertaining for you, but not for me.  Get over it.  Neither of us are wrong.  As other readers add comments we will find out whether the movie worked or failed for other viewers.

Note for anyone not a regular:  Menard tries to be abrasive, and I'm just calling him on it.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Menard
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2008, 12:04:22 PM »

Menard tries to be abrasive...

People everywhere are stunned to discover that.
akiratubo

« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2008, 02:45:19 PM »

Very fun movie.  I love it!

Kneel before Dr. Hell, the ruler of this world!
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2008, 03:02:55 PM »

What can I say? Read the books instead. All by H. Rider Haggard. Of course, there is "King Solomon's Mine," then there is the lesser known, which actually I like better, "Allan Quaterman," which is the sequel to "King Solomon's Mine," and the one upon which this film is based.

As for the films, the two far superior films to the 1985 version of "King Solomon's Mines" are the 1937 and the 1950 versions.

As for this one, there is a slightly better version (IMHO) called "King Solomon's Treasure," which came out in 1977, but is based on "Alan Quatermain."

Then there is the author's "She," which I have always found unreadable, but which was made into a film in 1965, and which stars Peter Cushing, Bernard Cribbins, John Richardson, Christopher Lee, and Ursula Andress. Did I mention Ursual Andress?

Of course, there have been other film versions of this novel as well.
peter johnson

« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2008, 12:29:13 PM »

For an unusual take on Alan Quatermain, read the League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, by Alan Moore.  Don't bother with the film, as it bears very little resemblance to the graphic novel.
peter j/denny c

I have no idea what this means.
Cindylover1969
« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2009, 08:42:37 AM »

R
I gotta check this one out, sounds fun  TeddyR

That theme music in the video clip sounds vaguely familiar;   I wish I could place it...

The Cannon Group, being the Cannon Group, tracked Jerry Goldsmith's music from King Solomon's Mines into the sequel without his knowledge (and without crediting him).
Annoymous
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2009, 12:52:48 AM »

Why is Henry Silva trying to sport a afro as Agon?
JPickettIII
A BAD MOVIE IS A TERRIBLE THING TO WASTE!
Bad Movie Lover

HELP! WE ARE STUCK IN A GOOD MOVIE!!!

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2010, 12:18:55 PM »

I got this movie on VHS from ARC.  .99 cents.  Great movie.  James Earl Jones was a stud in this movie.  His battle axe was cool.

Great movie and cool affects.  I wish I could find the city of Gold.

Hey did Gene Simmons do a cameo?

You be the judge.

Later,

John

\\\\\\\"Freedom is not free\"\\\\\\ or ///\"Where ever you go, there you are!\"///
Doggett
Bustin' makes me feel good !

I've seen things you people couldn't imagine...

« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2010, 04:20:23 PM »

YES!

I saw this s few weeks ago and couldn't remember the title !

Cheers

It doesn't even try to be its own product. Why bother when you can just copy Indy. TeddyR

If God exists, why did he make me an atheist? Thats His first mistake.
MaryInBoise
New Visitor

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2011, 07:11:31 PM »

Is that Will Ferrell in the photo at bottom right?
stephen38
New Visitor

« Reply #13 on: February 09, 2013, 05:02:54 AM »

There are bad films...and there are really bad films...and then there are films produced by the kings of crap Golan/Globus.

I have only seen this film once and i thought it was absolutely awful...in fact i would say that this was one of the worst films i have ever seen.

Beefcurtanz
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2023, 10:31:50 AM »

I love this piece of trash. It's one of those movies I saw as a kid in 80's and never saw again until much older. I was fired up to find a still sealed copy on tape at Goodwill. The main bad guy looks a lot like Jimmy "SuperFly" Snuka. A lady at work was reading the book to this movie, which I never knew existed. She didnt know a movie was made about it, I talked it up like it was a hidden gem of a film. It's 100% fun to watch, kind of over the top and just weird. 
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  Allan Quatermain and the Lost City of Gold « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.