Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 01:08:31 PM
714404 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Robert Rodriguez's Remakes « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Robert Rodriguez's Remakes  (Read 2512 times)
Terf
Bad Movie Lover

I wish I could be as popular as you think you are.

« on: December 12, 2008, 12:36:28 AM »

So it seems, even after Grindhouse didn't do so hot at the box office [personally, I really really liked Planet Terror], Mr. Rodriguez has shifted over into making remakes or more '70s-style movies, most notably Machete, Red Sonja, and Barbarella [which is actually on hold right now]. Personally, I think it's awesome, but then again, I probably wouldn't have the patience for the originals.

Oh, and as for the other Grindhouse trailers, I think trying to transforming Werewolf Women, Don't!, and Thanksgiving into at least 1hr20min films would be pretty cool, albiet certainly hard if you're going for box office results. :) [Although, don't actually looked bizarre enough to be true horror.

Here they are:
Small | Large
= Upper female [with one pretending to be underage] nudity!

But anyways, what do people a bit older than 20 think about Robert Rodriguez's remakes?
« Last Edit: December 12, 2008, 12:42:50 AM by Terf » Logged

Things could be worse; you could be twins.
Derf
Crazy Rabbity Thingy
Proofreader
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Lagomorphs: menace or underutilized resource?

« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2008, 09:04:40 AM »

I had only seen the Machete trailer, and I would definitely see that one if it were actually made. That trailer was the highlight of the Grindhouse movies for me. I didn't much care for Death Proof at all, and Planet Terror was entertaining, but the Machete trailer was pure gold! As for the others, I'm not sure; the trailers were entertaining, but I doubt that an entire movie made from them would be. I could be wrong, though.

As for Rodriguez remaking Red Sonja and Barbarella, I'm a bit saddened. Red Sonja is pretty much pure drivel, and a remake could possibly work, but the style most movies are made in today would probably kill it. As for Barbarella, it is so steeped in hippie-dom that I can't see how it could be redone with today's sensibilities. I actually really enjoyed Barbarella (I even own the DVD), but it is such a product of its time that I can't see an audience for it today; for one thing, no one would buy a character as innocent as Barbarella, especially one that looks like Jane Fonda did at the time.

"They tap dance not, neither do they fart." --Greensleeves, on the Fig Men of the Imagination, in "Twice Upon a Time."
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2008, 09:35:35 AM »

But anyways, what do people a bit older than 20 think about Robert Rodriguez's remakes?

Same as anybody else's remakes:  90% apathy, 10% disgust.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
WilliamWeird1313
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

Bad taste is just an acquired taste!!!

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2008, 11:31:14 AM »

I would love to see Machete (as well as the rest of the fake trailers, especially Don't) turned into a real movie. Barbarella should NOT be remade. And, as much as I like the idea of Rose McGowan running around in skimpy barbarian wear, lopping people's heads off with a big-ass sword, and writhing around in a pool of blood, I don't think it needs the remake treatment.

Now, if you'll please excuse me, I gotta return to that woody-inducing mental image of Rose McGowan in red-dyed Karo syrup ecstasy.

::drool::

"On a mountain of skulls in a castle of pain, I sat on a throne of blood. What was will be, what is will be no more. Now is the season of evil." - Vigo (former Carpathian warlord and one-time Slayer lyric-writer)
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2008, 06:09:48 PM »

I'm not aware of any Rodriguez remakes other than the two proposed projects you mentioned.  I haven't seen GRINDHOUSE so I can't comment on MACHETE, but that wouldn't be a remake, would it?  I mean, there was never any previous movie called MACHETE, right?  Or am I misunderstanding?

As far as remakes, I'm mostly in Jack's camp.  I mean, remaking SPIDER BABY?  That's sacrilege!  The problem with remakes is they almost always choose to remake the best, most successful movies, so the odds of the remake equaling or bettering the original are pretty slim.  Usually, they just colorize classics and add more profanity and violence.  If they would remake promising but flawed crap, it would be easier to do a good job and improve on the original, but it wouldn't be any more marketable than an original idea.

But I will keep an open mind towards remakes--it's always theoretically possible they could improve on the original.  I just go into them with higher than my usual stratospheric level of cynicism.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Torgo
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2008, 06:34:58 PM »

Hey, as long as it enables him to keep making movies in which Rose McGowan runs around wearing little to no clothing than I'm all for it.

"There is no way out of here. It'll be dark soon. There is no way out of here."
WilliamWeird1313
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

Bad taste is just an acquired taste!!!

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2008, 08:39:34 AM »

Hey, as long as it enables him to keep making movies in which Rose McGowan runs around wearing little to no clothing than I'm all for it.

Here, here! lol

"On a mountain of skulls in a castle of pain, I sat on a throne of blood. What was will be, what is will be no more. Now is the season of evil." - Vigo (former Carpathian warlord and one-time Slayer lyric-writer)
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Robert Rodriguez's Remakes « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.