Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 01:17:34 AM
714463 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Cool! The Kingdom (Riget) is on DVD! « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Cool! The Kingdom (Riget) is on DVD!  (Read 1540 times)
BTM
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: October 08, 2008, 10:52:45 PM »

I was surfing Netflix the other day to find that they've FINALLY released both seasons of The Kingdom on DVD.  Granted, that may have happened awhile back and I just didn't know about it, but anywayy...

Not sure how many of you have seen it, but, basically, The Kingdom is a Danish TV series about a large haunted hospital, and the various quirky staff and patients.  Yes, it is the series that Stephen King remade into Kingdom Hospital, but this is way more atmospheric and has several genuinely creepy moments.

Sadly, season two ends on a cliff hanger, and given that (last I heard) three of the cast members have passed away, it's doubtful the story will be finished (at least not in that medium.)  Still, the show itself I think is worth watching, so if you haven't seen it already, check it out!

« Last Edit: October 09, 2008, 01:12:36 PM by BTM » Logged

"Some people mature, some just get older." -Andrew Vachss
Doc Daneeka
The Game is Finished?

It's neVer over!

« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2008, 06:48:00 AM »

Sadly, season two ends on a cliff hanger, and given that (last I heard) three of the cast members have passed away, it's doubtful the story will be finished (at least not in that medium.)  Still, the show itself I think is worth watching, so if you haven't seen it already, check it out!
And that is the reason I can't find myself buying it Bluesad, I don't think I'd be able to take watching a cliffhanger knowing I'd be stuck there forever. Man, I heard it was gonna get made once, I would love to get my hands on a translated script of season 3! (Then I'd get the other 2!)

https://www.youtube.com/user/silverspherechannel
For the latest on the fifth installment in Don Coscarelli's Phantasm saga.
Torgo

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2008, 10:37:12 PM »

I've got The Kingdom on VHS where I believe that they edited all the episodes together into one gigantic movie.  Talk about creepy stuff.

"There is no way out of here. It'll be dark soon. There is no way out of here."
JJ80
Nutter Magnet

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2008, 12:51:30 PM »

I remember this being genuinely bizarre and macabre. The fully grown new born baby was particularly memorable, as was the blindfolded ambulance driving 'Chicken' game. Didn't Lars Von Trier actually appear on screen to provide a prologue and epilogue for each episode.

There are few things more beautiful than a sporting montage with a soft-rock soundtrack
Scottie
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2008, 07:00:09 PM »

Didn't Lars Von Trier actually appear on screen to provide a prologue and epilogue for each episode.

I watched three of the episodes from The Kingdom and Von Trier gave epilogues for each episode. The show never really struck me as either scary or interesting. There was too much implied tension in the first three episodes and that turned me away from it. The two autistic adults washing the endless supply of dishes interpreting the building's intentions never engaged me and the constant wheeling around of an old woman by an overweight male hospital worker seeking ghosts was tedious. I'm a bigger believer in The Celebration and Dogville as good examples of Dogme95, though I was jarred very hard during the transition from the series' opening slow motion shots at the ancient washing place to the hard video of the hospital's opening, however the body of the show distanced me as it focused more on the relationship between the doctors and never quite got around to what it seemed to be hinting at from the very beginning, i.e. ghosts. Then again I did not finish the series.

___<br />Spongebob: What could be better than serving up smiles? <br />Squidward: Being Dead.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Cool! The Kingdom (Riget) is on DVD! « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.