Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 08:15:21 PM
714388 Posts in 53096 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  been riped off « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: been riped off  (Read 4503 times)
the master
« on: November 14, 2008, 04:47:48 PM »

so there was a metropolis dvd on ebay that has the same cover as the kino on only from asia but is region 0 i got it off ebay and it said on the back of the box the restrored version with original score and when i started up the dvd it was the public domain version like the one on the mill creek dvd i was disapointed im sad now i had a sucky week and this was going 2 be the only good thing about it
WilliamWeird1313
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

Bad taste is just an acquired taste!!!

« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2008, 04:52:39 PM »

I been there. I once bought the La Blue Girl box set off of e-bay way back when I was still kinda new to e-bay and I got gypped. I refuse to even buy DVDs off e-bay anymore, after wising up.

My condolences, man.

"On a mountain of skulls in a castle of pain, I sat on a throne of blood. What was will be, what is will be no more. Now is the season of evil." - Vigo (former Carpathian warlord and one-time Slayer lyric-writer)
ToyMan
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2008, 05:01:24 PM »

yep. think of this as a costly learning experience, and remember it going forward.

Pilgermann
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2008, 06:50:53 PM »

On the bright side the Kino DVD isn't very good anyway.

The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2008, 09:23:54 AM »

This reminds me of the BRADY BUNCH episode where Mike explains to the kids the concept of caveat emptor, or "let the buyer beware."  It was a heartwarming episode that taught us all the kind of family values that . . . never mind.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2008, 09:32:32 AM »

I bought a DVD of "The Call of Cthulhu" at a pawn shop the other day, only to get home and find that it was just the empty case.  I took it back and they let me get another DVD, but of course the didn't have another copy of "Cthulhu" so I had to settle for "Captain Kronos, Vampire Hunter."

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
The Burgomaster

« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2008, 05:06:17 PM »

I bought a DVD of "The Call of Cthulhu" at a pawn shop the other day, only to get home and find that it was just the empty case.  I took it back and they let me get another DVD, but of course the didn't have another copy of "Cthulhu" so I had to settle for "Captain Kronos, Vampire Hunter."

Hey . . . CAPTAIN KRONOS is a pretty entertaining movie.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Doc Daneeka
The Game is Finished?

It's neVer over!

« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2008, 11:20:50 PM »

I've been ripped off a few times before, though I don't think to the extent you guys have. You can read the tales here:
http://www.badmovies.org/forum/index.php/topic,119706.msg200119.html#msg200119
http://www.badmovies.org/forum/index.php/topic,119773.msg200915.html#msg200915
« Last Edit: November 16, 2008, 11:23:22 PM by Mr. Briggs Inc. » Logged

https://www.youtube.com/user/silverspherechannel
For the latest on the fifth installment in Don Coscarelli's Phantasm saga.
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2008, 04:02:32 AM »

I bought what looked like mint VHS copies of Star Trek Nemesis and Star Trek VI at a pawnshop in Bloemfontein last year. I only managed to check them when I got back to Pretoria a week later as I had no VHS and the boxes were sealed anyway.

Nemesis: indeed a mint edition although not letterboxed.  Thumbup
VI: The tape had all the right stickers on it but some idiot had taped the copy over with a TV version of the 1998 GodzillaHatred I liked Roland Emmerich's film but I wanted Star Trek VI.

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Torgo

« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2008, 11:26:40 PM »

I've been pretty lucky on Ebay in terms of buying import/bootleg DVD's.  I usually grill the seller about the particular release to make (hopefully) absolutely sure of what I'm getting and also check their feedback.

I don't think that I've gotten what would be deemed as "ripped off" yet though I'm sure my time will come.  Hopefully my virtual karma is in good order.   TongueOut

"There is no way out of here. It'll be dark soon. There is no way out of here."
The Burgomaster

« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2008, 08:58:59 AM »

A good source of import DVDs is a website called HK Flix.  They have a lot of stuff you can get in the U.S., but they also have a lot of stuff that is only available in other countries.  In addition, they often have multiple versions of movies if they were released with shorter or longer running times in various countries.  I have made only a few purchases from this company, but the DVDs I bought were first quality, new, and factory-sealed.  You might pay a few bucks more than you would on Ebay, but it's worth it for the peace of mind.

WilliamWeird1313
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

Bad taste is just an acquired taste!!!

« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2008, 11:06:11 AM »

If you're not already familiar with Diabolik D.V.D. or XploitedCinema.com, those are great too.

"On a mountain of skulls in a castle of pain, I sat on a throne of blood. What was will be, what is will be no more. Now is the season of evil." - Vigo (former Carpathian warlord and one-time Slayer lyric-writer)
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  been riped off « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.