Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 09:40:03 AM
714466 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7743 Members
Latest Member: medikam
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Reading anything? « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77 78 ... 151
Author Topic: Reading anything?  (Read 749006 times)
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1125 on: June 11, 2012, 06:02:01 PM »

Got back into Dome City Blues, and it's turned out to be quite an engaging detective story. It takes some dystopian paranoia and cyberpunk in the style of William Gibson and Philip K. D!ck, and blends it with old-fashioned hard-boiled private eye fiction. Retired P.I. David Stalin is pulled back into the business by a beautiful blonde who insists her brother was framed for murder. Thing is, her brother confessed on video to a string of brutal killings, describing them in detail, then blew his brains out.

It takes a while for the story to get going, but it actually does pay off.

It's interesting how the story sometimes seems predictable, but always has more questions to be answered. It's pretty easy for the reader to figure out how the killer did it, but then you still don't know who did it or why. Then when the who seems very clear, the why remains unclear. Add to that the growing sense that there is more than just murder going on, and bits of subplot that start to seem more important as the story progresses.

I'm about 85% of the way through the book, and it appears things are just about to come to a head.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #1126 on: June 12, 2012, 03:51:17 AM »

it appears things are just about to come to a head.

Not to a boob?

AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1127 on: June 12, 2012, 03:27:38 PM »

I'm not even sure what that cover has to do with anything. There are a couple of sex scenes in the book, and that's about it. Nothing nearly as salacious as that cover would suggest.

---------------------
BoyScoutKevin
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #1128 on: June 15, 2012, 03:25:54 PM »

Ye-es!

A couple of mysteries.

Joanne Fluke's "Devil's Food Cake Murder" 14th in the (Hannah Swanson mystery series)

From "You Betcha!" Land. One of the characters in the book even says: "You Betcha!"

One can understand why Swedes settled in that part of America, when they first came to America. The land and weather must have reminded them of their old home in Sweden.

The highlight of the book is not the mystery, but the more than a score of recipes in the book. Mostly cookie recipes, but there are other recipes as well.

With an average of 23 recipes per book, I thought the authoress ought to publish a cookbook, and she has.

Margaret Coel's "The Spider's Web" 15th in the (Wind River mystery series)

Almost every character in the book has been damaged in some way or the other. From the Irish-American priest who once had problems with the bottle to the Native American lawyer who once had problems with her ex-husband. Some of the damage being self-inflicted, and some of the damage being inflicted by others.

While there could be a great number of villains in the story, the authoress has such empathy for her "walking wounded," there are only one or two "true" villains in the story.

Next time: why the Brits are the funniest people on this earth.
Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #1129 on: June 15, 2012, 06:04:11 PM »

Finished Relentless by Dean Koontz. I did enjoy it even though it was one of his most far fetched plots, but the ending was terrible. Completely absurd, rushed and a total let down. Has by no means put me off the guy though, at least his worst stuff is better than a certain Mr. King's passable output these days.

Just started reading American Gods by Neil Gaiman. It's very well written, although I'm nearly 150 pages in and I still have no idea what it's about...

AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1130 on: June 15, 2012, 10:13:49 PM »

Reading The Hellbound Heart, by Clive Barker. Very good book. I have the added benefit of not having seen the original Hellraiser since the 80s. I get the greater depth of the novel without remembering enough of the movie plot to really spoil anything.

Interesting that Pinhead was not originally written as the leader of the Cenobites, and had a female voice.

---------------------
Jim H

« Reply #1131 on: June 17, 2012, 01:24:20 PM »

I just read Zombies VS Robots, a comic.  It's friggin' weird, but it was fairly entertaining.  Pretty good art too.
retrorussell
In the town of Valentine Bluffs, there are many ways to die. Take your pick.

Hanniger! I'll be waiting in HELL for you!

« Reply #1132 on: June 18, 2012, 01:57:35 AM »

The Hagakure.  A collection of feudal-era stories, sayings, wisdom, etc.

"O the legend they say, on a Valentine's Day, is a curse that'll live on and on.."
ER
B-Movie Kraken

The sleep of reasoner breeds monsters. (sic)

« Reply #1133 on: June 23, 2012, 12:50:12 AM »

Shopgirl, by Steve Martin. This would have been a better read either compressed as a short story or fleshed out to a novel, but as a novella it lacked something. I do think Steve Martin is a genius though.

What does not kill me makes me stranger.
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #1134 on: June 23, 2012, 01:02:04 AM »

I just finished Karl Rove's memoir of his years working for George W. Bush, COURAGE AND CONSEQUENCE.  It is a well written and fascinating inside look at some pretty consequential years for our country by a man who helped shape public policy during that time.  Love Bush or hate him, this book is a good read.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Vik
« Reply #1135 on: June 23, 2012, 08:21:34 AM »

Read "Batman The Killing Joke" yesterday, which was awesome. Also read this short "Sigmund Freud in 90 minutes" book today, and now halfway through a collection of short stories by a Flemish writer.
ER
B-Movie Kraken

The sleep of reasoner breeds monsters. (sic)

« Reply #1136 on: June 25, 2012, 12:05:59 AM »

Today a friend gave me the manuscript for the writing portion of a graphic novel he's collaborating on, and it was darn good. They haven't ironed out the title but the plot is about a war on earth between Heaven and Hell, set in the 1960s with some flash-forwards into the 1980s, and the main character is this badass archangel whose violence toward demons on earth isn't particularly angelic. Not a religious work in the slightest, filled with twists and tips of the hat to some influential figures in the GN field, like Gaiman and Moore and McFarlane. I hope they find a publisher, as they did on a less ambitious work of theirs from a couple years ago. I was pleasantly surprised by how good this thing was!

What does not kill me makes me stranger.
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #1137 on: June 27, 2012, 03:44:30 PM »

Ye-es!

"The Mammoth Book of Great British Humor." Michael Powell, editor

Or the best of British humor from the past 500 years from the 16th century to today.

Did you hear the one about the father who used his teenage son's bum-hole as the family doorbell, because it had a nice ring to it?

When the Brits say something risque it sounds funny. When we Americans say something risque it just sounds embarrassingly unfunny.

When the Brits say something absurd it sounds funny. When we Americans say something absurd it just sounds stupid.

British humor is relatively subtle. It comes at you sideways. American humor is relatively unsubtle. It comes at you straight-on.

Most Brits know that "Brevity is the soul of wit." Most Americans don't.

Alot of Brits like jokes that contain hyperbole, non-sequiteurs, and wordplay. Alot of Americans don't.

Alot of British jokes contain irony, put-downs, satire, and sacrcasm. Alot of American jokes don't.

And that is why Brits are the funniest people on earth, or, at least funnier than most Americans.

One thing did surprise me. The lack of ethnic humor. Except for the people who live in the U.K., the only people who got their own section of jokes were we Americans. Which probably says something good about us. We can take it, but can we dish it out? Probably not, for when it comes to ethnic humor Americans tend to be politer, more sensitive, and less courageous.

When asked why he had asked for a raise, the actor replied: "It is because I can't eat my notices." Who ever knew Claude Rains had a sense of humor.

Next time: a book from a man who goes where most men fear to tread.
Vik
« Reply #1138 on: June 28, 2012, 12:30:15 PM »

Read the 6 issues of "Infinity Gauntlet" yesterday, which were great. Now reading "Writing Short Films" by Linda J. Cowgill, which has some interesting things to say, but it generalizes a lot and gives advice that's not necessarily true, in my opinion.
El Misfit
[Insert witty here]
B-Movie Kraken

Hi there!

« Reply #1139 on: June 28, 2012, 12:36:50 PM »

Some Grendel graphic novels, I believe I got 6 graphic novels plus 5 comics.
The novels are:
Behold the Devil
Devil's Quest
God and the Devil
Devil's Reign
Devil Child
Devil Deed

and for the comic book versions, they are the ones set in New Orleans. I'm missing the last issue of that series. (I actually didn't now that at the time, I just picked them up because I like Grendel TeddyR)

I also picked up some Stephen King novels, the big ones:
Dream Catcher
Insomnia
and another one that slipped my mind.

yeah no.
Pages: 1 ... 74 75 [76] 77 78 ... 151
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Reading anything? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.