Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 01:26:23 AM
712922 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Reading anything? « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 83 84 [85] 86 87 ... 151
Author Topic: Reading anything?  (Read 739957 times)
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1260 on: April 07, 2013, 08:53:43 PM »

inevitably history gets turned into a one dimensional tale with heroes and villains out of central casting. Liberals do that with FDR who had many bad ideas as chronicaled by unpopular revisionists like Garet Garrett in Peoples Pottage. Everyone's starving: lets kill thousands of pigs!
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #1261 on: April 07, 2013, 09:36:42 PM »

FDR's actions with the AAA saved American agriculture, according to many.  He was a very complex and Machiavellian character; I think many of his New Deal actions were absolutely necessary at the time, but led to unintended negative consequences.  I do think he usually meant well, and had the sense to abandon initiatives that did not work.  Conrad Black wrote an excellent biography of him a few years ago.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1262 on: April 08, 2013, 08:06:30 AM »

I don't think they saved anything. If they had it would have been called the not that bad Depression, instead it was Great. He ended prohibition though so that helps his legacy in libertarian terms.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #1263 on: April 08, 2013, 11:15:56 AM »

"One Human Minute" by Stanislaw Lem. A collection of three fake book reviews from the Polish science fiction author.

Also, I picked up Roger Ebert's "I Hated, Hated, HATED This Movie" again for my bathroom reading.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1264 on: April 08, 2013, 03:34:28 PM »

I used to read this book "Hollywood talks turkey" at the library in college. It was epic, amazing
Newt
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I want to be Ripley when I grow up.

« Reply #1265 on: April 11, 2013, 08:49:33 AM »

Mallowan's Memoirs (1977) by Sir Max Mallowan.  (Subtitled on the cover "Agatha and the Archaeologist": he was married to Agatha Christie.)   A very dense book - it's astounding how 'small' the world was once upon a time; everyone you have heard of interacted with everyone else who has become 'known'.    Between the (now famous) archaeological adventures and the personal notes on Ms Christie's doings they make a fascinating couple.  Hearing it in Sir Max's own words brings it all closer.

Tolkien: a Look Behind "The Lord of the Rings" by Lin Carter (1969).  A compilation of essays on many aspects of the trilogy.  This one is fun because being from 1969 it acts as a 'time capsule' of a sort.  I remember 1969...and 'discovered' LOTR in the mid/late-70's, so Carter's views are both nostalgic and revealing to me. 

"May I offer you a Peek Frean?" - Walter Bishop
"Thank you for appreciating my descent into deviant behavior, Mr. Reese." - Harold Finch
JaseSF
Super Space Age Freaky Geek
B-Movie Kraken

Soon, your brain will turn to jelly.

« Reply #1266 on: April 11, 2013, 05:10:39 PM »

Started reading The Box by Richard Matheson. Actually it's a collection of short stories that are so far proving somewhat interesting and different in that the lead protagonist is often a detestable and unlikable character.

"This above all: To thine own self be true!"
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #1267 on: April 12, 2013, 04:23:40 PM »

Ye-es!

Moushey and Dvorchak's
Game Over :
Jerry Sandusky, Penn State, and the Culture of Silence.

A couple of reporters take on the story. Fair and balanced. Concise, but complete, up till the date it was published. Of course, events have now overtaken it.

Steve Coll's
Private Empire
Exxon/Mobil and American Power
His 7th work of non-fiction

Everything you wanted to know about Exxon/Mobil and more. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!

Ben Taylor's
Apocalypse on the Set
Nine Disatrous Film Productions

Perhaps, not so much disatrous as difficult productions of films that were financial successes. Financial failures. Critical successes. Critical failures. Not much similiarity between the films, except that bad news is better than good news. And if the film press can't find bad news in a production, they'll make it up. One more knock on the book is that most of the stories are already well known.

Tracie McMillan's
The American Way of Eating
Undercover at Walmart, Applebees, Farm Fields, and the Dinner Table.
Authoress' 1st book

She begins in the farm fields of California, working as a migrant picker, then goes to her home state of Michigan, where she covers the middle in the food process working at a Walmart, and then she goes to New York City, where she covers the end of the food process working at an Applebee's. And then returns to Michigan to work in a different Walmart. And  the last chapter provides hints on how people can eat healthier and better, if cheaper.

I'll give her credit as having more courage than I do, because I wouldn't have the courage to do what she does. She also has a personality that allows her to succeed.

Next time continuing with fiction and a graphic novel read.
ER
B-Movie Kraken

The sleep of reasoner breeds monsters. (sic)

« Reply #1268 on: April 17, 2013, 11:22:25 AM »

Recently finished Rowling's The Casual Vacancy, and enjoyed it. I used to say she was a better storyteller than a writer (not a put-down, it's a trait many authors share) but this novel was well-written and impressively literary. I look forward to her next work!

What does not kill me makes me stranger.
Bushma

« Reply #1269 on: April 17, 2013, 12:17:57 PM »

I just finished Day by Day Armageddon: Shattered Hourglass third/last book in the series.  I didn't like the way this one was written compared to the first two, and I didn't like the ending either.  Oh well.

This is my awesome signature.  Jealous?
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1270 on: April 17, 2013, 03:59:56 PM »

David Stockman "the Great Deformation" Amazing so far
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #1271 on: April 20, 2013, 01:08:16 PM »

Ye-es!

Three mystery novels and a graphic novel.

Qiu Xiaolong's
"Don't Cry Tai Lake"
8th in the Inspector Chen series. Also a poet and translator of Chinese poetry into English.

Who killed the Chinese industrialist? Was it his wife? His son? His mistress? An underling? A business rival? The enviromentalist?

A reminder that politics is more deeply embedded into a criminal investigation over there, then it is even here.

Robin Blake's
"A Dark Anatomy"
1st in the Cragg and Fidelis' series

A lawyer (middle age, married, a Christian) joins forces with a doctor (younger, single, an atheist) to discover who murdered the squire's wife, who has some real dark secrets, especially for 18th century England, when and where the mystery takes place.

Donna Leon's
"Beastly Things"
the 21st in the Commissario's Guido Brunetti series. Since most, if not all, of the books in the series take place in Venice, she has also written a guidebook to Venice and a Venetian cookbook.

Who killed the slaughterhouse vet? And what does his death, if anything, have to do with what is going on at the slaughterhouse?

And the graphic novel.

Gail Corrigan's
"Soulless"

1st we have the werewolves, who travel in a pack and are always headed by an alpha male, who is seconded by an alpha female and a beta male.

Then we have the vampires, who travel in a hive, and are headed by a male or a female, with the rest of the vampires being known as drones.Actually, the head vampire determines the sexual orientation of the other vampires. If the head is a male, then the other vampires are homosexual, but if the head is female, then the other vampires are heterosexual.

The werewolves and the vampires don't like each other or trust each other, but they will work with each other.

There are werewolves and vampires that are solo operators. The werewolves being called loners, and the vampires being called bleeders, but they are more vulnerable.

Then there are the humans who neither like nor trust the werewolves nor vampires, but who use then anyway. The werewolves for their brawn, and the vampires for their brains.

And then there is the last group, the soulless, who are the most dangerous, as they can kill with a touch, at least werewolfves and vampires, and who are used to keep everyone else in line.

Pluses: the illustrations which are done by the Japanese, and the secondary characters in the story.

Negatives: the human villain, who is not effective as a villain, and the unnecessary violence.

Next time: more recommendations.
ER
B-Movie Kraken

The sleep of reasoner breeds monsters. (sic)

« Reply #1272 on: April 21, 2013, 02:00:42 PM »

A Life magazine from April 1945 I found in a thrift store. The best fifteen cents I've spent on something that wasn't edible.

In fact, this is it right here:

http://books.google.com/books?id=B1AEAAAAMBAJ&printsec=frontcover&source=gbs_ge_summary_r&cad=0#v=onepage&q&f=false

(Doesn't the future queen look purdy?)

What does not kill me makes me stranger.
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #1273 on: April 25, 2013, 10:33:05 AM »

Stephan King's 11/22/63. It concerns a man who goes back in time to try and prevent the assasination of JFK. Very long book! But excellent! One of his best!

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #1274 on: April 25, 2013, 01:48:24 PM »

Ye-es!

Charles Todd's
The Confession
14th in the Ian Rutledge Mystery series

After WWI, people are dieing and disappearing from a family estate in a village near London. Who is responsible?

Elizabeth George's
Believing the Lie
18th in the Inspector Lynley novels. Also writer of one non-fiction book and two books of short stories.

A man dies while out boating on a lake near the family estate. Was it accident, or was it murder? As Lynley investigates, at the behest of the family, other family secrets come out.

This starts out as one thing. Then morphs into something else. Then morphs into something else again. And then morps into several something elses. Besides all the morphs, it is long for a mystery. Most mysteries run between 200 and 400 pages, but this runs somewhere between 500 and 700 pages. Long, but readable.

Ian Rankin's
The Impossible Dead
2nd in the Matthew Fox series

Fox investigates an accident that may not have been an accident.

I actually like this series better than the author's better known Rebus series. Fox actually shows up in the next Rebus novel after this one.

Eleanor Kuhns'
A simple murder
1st novel

When an ex-soldier, ex-farmer, now a traveling weaver, becomes the main suspect in the murder of several members of a Shaker village in New England at the end of the 18th century, he stays on to try and solve the mystery. While working to solve the murders, he finds romance with an ex-Shaker gal and re-establishes a relationship with his teenage son, who he has not seen for several years.

Enter a contest for best first novel and win. A bit rough, like most first novels, but you can see why the authoress won. She certainly has a talent for writing. Of course, the question is: "Where does her character go from here?"

And just a name, a title, and a recommendation.

Hilary Davidson's
The Next One to Fall
2nd novel

Next time: a half dozen graphic novels
Pages: 1 ... 83 84 [85] 86 87 ... 151
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Reading anything? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.