Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 11:48:43 PM
714392 Posts in 53096 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Reading anything? « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 107 108 [109] 110 111 ... 151
Author Topic: Reading anything?  (Read 748185 times)
pennywise37
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #1620 on: June 10, 2015, 02:30:17 PM »

that's how it is sometimes my friend, you no doubt are proud you wrote your 1st book but your writing is no doubt getting better. hell Stephen King's 1st published novel Carrie is i think his 5th book? he ever wrote. though that book is terrible Salam's lot is a great book. i can name other authors that i didn't care for the 1st book but i don't think i need to. i've written a lot of poetry but there's really only a few of them that i like or think are any good. and i've prolly written over #130 poems. some of them i can't post on here mainly for Language and plus i dunno where those are anyways. he he
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #1621 on: June 10, 2015, 04:47:12 PM »

Ye-es!

My Lunches with Orson :
Conversations between Henry Jaglom and Orson Welles
[1983-1985]
Peter Biskind, editor

Very, very distinctive -
voice

Very, very honest -
by his own lights

Very, very Knowledgeable -
knew everyone worth knowing

Very, very smart -
knew a lot, as did Jaglom

Very, very talented -
at what he did

Very, very funny -

Very, very tragic -

he deserved better
and in the end

Very, very human

Finally . . .

a b.s. artist of the 1st water
a representative of a life gone bye
and one of the greats, when there are no more greats.

Legrand and Rochette's
Snow Piercer
v.2. The explorers

v.1. 1984
v.2. pt.1. 1999
v.2. pt.2. 2000

More children
being used for the adults' ulterior reasons. Though, here not sexual.

More confusion
Not as clear as v.1.

More people of color.

More politics.
Though, while religion and the military come off worst here, the politicians come off better.

More sex
Including more homosexuality. Though, it does fall back to that old trope: "Who is the villain? The one that is gay."

More violence

Less originality

And more questions
For example: why did the filmmakers not use v.2. instead of v.1. to make their film, as v.2. is more visual, and thus would make the better film, and it is not like you need v.1. to know what is happening.

There are 3 great things, that have come out of Denmark : ham, Victor Borge, which is like saying ham twice, and Tivoli Gardens, which was one of Walt's inspirations for Disneyland. Actually, there are 4. Thus . . .

Next time : the 4th
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #1622 on: June 11, 2015, 06:16:14 PM »

There is a new volume to "Snow piercer." It is v.3. and called "The Crossing." I have not seen it, as they apparently only publish a new volume every 14 to 15 years, so, it was only published last year or 2014. I am looking forward to see it, as from the title, it appears to continue the story began in v.2.
pennywise37

« Reply #1623 on: June 13, 2015, 03:16:43 AM »

i've never even heard of that series before. but to be fair there's also a LOT of authors i've never heard of let  alone read before. anyways i finished my current novel i was just reading. (1991)'s "Body Of Evidence' by Patrica Cornwell and i gotta say it's a great book. i have no idea what i'm going to read next. i'm going to sleep on it i think. cause that seems to be helping me as of late to help me make up my mind on what i want to read next.
pennywise37

« Reply #1624 on: June 14, 2015, 09:23:41 PM »

well i decided to read the next book in the Kay Scarpetta Series that i'm really enjoying. it's (1992)'s All That Remains and it's starting out good so far. but i'm only on page 41 in it so i'm not that far into it yet.
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #1625 on: June 20, 2015, 02:38:53 PM »

well i decided to read the next book in the Kay Scarpetta Series that i'm really enjoying. it's (1992)'s All That Remains and it's starting out good so far. but i'm only on page 41 in it so i'm not that far into it yet.

If you like that, then you might like this. Kathy Reich's series featuring Temperance Brennan. They are easy to recognize, as they have the word "bones" in the title, and I believe the 18th or 19th in the series should be released some time later this year, or, if you prefer to watch rather than read, the TV series "Bones" on Fox is based on the books.
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #1626 on: June 20, 2015, 02:50:45 PM »

Ye-es!

This is the 4th as I posted in a previous post.

Warren Elsmore's
Brick Wonders :
Ancient, Modern, and Natural Wonders made from Legos.
Sequel to Brick City

7 ancient + 7 historical + 7 modern + 7 natural = 28 wonders

and . . .

Sarah Herman's
Extreme Bricks :
Spectacular, Record-breaking, and astounding Lego Projects from Around the World

31 builders in 11 countries building 33 Lego projects between 1986 and 2012.

Size: from 9475 sq. ft. to 6 sq. ft.
Bricks: from 3.5 million to 8000
Time to build: from 2 years to 3 days

There is Disney, there is Universal, and then there are your Lego lands in . . .

California -- Denmark -- Florida -- Germany -- Malaysia -- and the U.K.

As for myself and Legos . . .

No time -- No talent -- No skill -- No money -- and no interest.

Next time: if I can find my notes, a compare and a contrast.
pennywise37

« Reply #1627 on: June 20, 2015, 02:55:27 PM »

oh i love the show Bones and i've watched it since Episode #1 in fact. i do have the 1st book in the series and a few other as well. but i haven't gotten around to actually read it oddly. the way i am with books and reading is going to sound strange to you so bear with me. and if you think it's strange that's ok i do too.

the way i am is i have to be in the mood for a good mystery or a good author. i normally pick up about 5 or 6 books sometimes more and if the 1st few chapters don't strike me that i am in the mood to read it i don't read it. yes at some point i do read it for example i tried reading From a Buick 8 for years off and on and it wasn't cause it was a bad book at all. it was cause each time i started to read the 1st paragraph i could tell right away i'm not in the mood to read it.

i've never been able to figure out why i'm like this, i'm the same way with movies and music as well. is it strange yeah i think it is, but i guess it's just the way i'm wired. Post Mortem is one book that i bought in the early 2000's. and it wasn't until this past March that i was in the right mind and the right mood to want to read it. i'm like that with any author i love or any author that i've never read before. in fact so far out of the if you count "IT" by Stephen King that i finished after starting it 2 years ago for the dozenth or so time. i've read 12 books so far this year. and out of 12, 8 of them are ones that i had for years that i never got around to reading. and half of the rest are ones that i bought within the past oh 2 or 3 years, and the rest outside that bunch are ones i bought just a couple months ago.

i have no idea if anyone else is like this when it comes to music, i have to be in the mood for a certain band, genre, decade you get the message i'm sure.
movies genre, decade etc.. like i said it's weird i admit that but i'd love it if i was able to find someone who's weird like that and it's not just me. he he
Newt
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

I want to be Ripley when I grow up.

« Reply #1628 on: June 21, 2015, 07:58:32 AM »

Not so weird pennywise37.  Have to say I'm the same way: got to be in the right mood or on to another that 'fits'.

"May I offer you a Peek Frean?" - Walter Bishop
"Thank you for appreciating my descent into deviant behavior, Mr. Reese." - Harold Finch
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #1629 on: June 21, 2015, 09:30:11 AM »

I always read two books at the same time (one "heavy" and one "light") and right now I just started both these:

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
pennywise37

« Reply #1630 on: June 21, 2015, 10:57:53 AM »

i haven't read those, but i do have to say THANK GOD i found someone who is weird like me that way. i've never had anyone in my 36 years say to me oh that's not weird i'm the same way. because most people can pick up a book if they are in the mood for reading and just read it. i'm nearly done with my book now i have only 73 pages left in it and i will prolly be done with it today. only 3 chapters left in it as well.

i have no idea what i'm going to read next at this moment.  somewhere around here i have it written down all the books i have started and on that paper i think i have 22 books? or 20 to make a guess.  if only i knew where that was?
Newt
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

I want to be Ripley when I grow up.

« Reply #1631 on: June 21, 2015, 12:35:35 PM »

pennywise, I have stacks of books all over the house and some days I just cannot find the right one to start reading.  I'll spend a good bit of time picking them up, taking a look and rejecting them.  I know I am interested in each one of them, just not right at this moment.

Most often I finish a book and will think, "That was good - I'd like more of the same" or "That was good, now what to follow it with to balance things out?"  It is a bit like dining on food: you might want seonds, or you might want a contrast  - some sweet to go with the salt, or salad to go with the steak.  TongueOut

"May I offer you a Peek Frean?" - Walter Bishop
"Thank you for appreciating my descent into deviant behavior, Mr. Reese." - Harold Finch
pennywise37

« Reply #1632 on: June 21, 2015, 01:56:55 PM »

oh i believe you i'm just thrilled i'm not the only one out there that is like that. i also have a LOT of books i haven't read yet either. there's paperbacks i bought at a libary sale and sorry for my spelling i never can get that word spelled right for some weird reason. anyways, i bought some books at a Libary Sale way back in (1992) in the Summer of that year when i was 13 that i still have yet to read! one of the books i haven't finished is i think the 1st Sword of Shananra books? i forget how to spell that one so bear with me. i liked what i was reading but for some reason i lost interest in it.

i buy King's New book every time he does one. plus i collect Ed McBain's books, Piers Anthony, Dean Koontz. John Saul, Anne Rice, i love her Mayfair witch series.
John Grisham. among others etc.. i'm sure i left out and i have oh it has to be about 60 or 70 of Piers Anthony's books some on hardback most on paperback that i have yet to read. because of the way i read books. what i have been doing as of late is sleeping on it and that seems to be working for me for some strange reason. i try to clear my head 1st and sometimes that's quite difficult. i have ADD as well so i went years without really reading that much. i read Stephen King's Wizard & Glass a couple years back. and was able to read the whole damn thing! man was i thrilled that was one book that for some reason i had tried to read at least a dozen times before i finally actually finished it. and i did end up enjoying it. cause i love the dark tower series. now i just need to finish the wolves of Calla.

i also Collect James Patterson on Hardback and there's a ton of his books i have yet to read. i prefer holding the books in my hands i don't believe in kindle's or e-books or anything like that. i'm old fashioned i love the smell of a new book and it's just my preference.
pennywise37

« Reply #1633 on: June 22, 2015, 04:01:14 AM »

well i finally finished my book and it was a good book but not as good as i thought it was going to be. it was just the ending that did it. it felt rushed actually

and they killed off a character they really didn't need to kill off to be honest. though i will say this the ending so far to these books have been a little different. in the 1st book we had Scarpetta get saved by Marino a Cop from the killer, in the 2nd one it's her that killed the killer. and this one she wasn't even in the room.

so at least she's not repeating herself i will give her credit for that. as for what i'm reading next i have no idea just yet. i may read the 4th novel or i may read the 1st Temperance Brennan book i dunno just yet.
FatFreddysCat
Movies, Metal, Beer!

« Reply #1634 on: June 22, 2015, 11:26:42 AM »

Just started:

Super Boys: The Amazing Adventures of Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster, The Creators of Superman by Brad Ricca

Hey, HEY, kids! Check out my way-cool Music and Movie Review blog on HubPages!
http://hubpages.com/@fatfreddyscat
Pages: 1 ... 107 108 [109] 110 111 ... 151
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Reading anything? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.