Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 04:08:17 AM
714431 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Reading anything? « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 151
Author Topic: Reading anything?  (Read 748754 times)
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #690 on: December 28, 2010, 11:51:59 AM »

re released/ translated book from my favorite author. about the foibles of governments and so forth. this one is set in the dark ages.  His book "The Pyramid" is insane.

flick james- when you are done with that check out my 7 part play based on Nock's "Our Enemy the State". done with xtranormal cartoons which no one likes and bad jokes.
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #691 on: December 29, 2010, 12:34:14 AM »

In the last week I finished GOD DOWN TOGETHER: THE STORY OF BONNIE AND CLYDE (which is first-rate; I have a vested interest since they operated in my neck of the woods and my Dad can remember his father reading all their exploits to him from the newspaper when he was a boy).  Then I got Stephen King's FULL DARK, NO STARS for Christmas and gobbled it up in two days . . . it is like DIFFERENT SEASONS in that it features four different novellas, all first-rate.  King on his worst day is more entertaining than many more critically acclaimed authors are in their mose celebrated works . . .  I love the way the man writes!

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #692 on: December 29, 2010, 11:24:28 AM »

Finished Helpless, which I highly recommend. Now reading Darkly Dreaming Dexter. I'm still not sure if I'll like it, having seen five seasons of the TV series. I'm aware that the series deviates rather quickly from the books, and there are already some interesting differences in the characters and the plot. The first-person style is also great, since the reader is inside Dexter's head for the entire story, instead of just bites of narration. The only problem is that for the first novel at least, all the major surprises are blown.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Hammock Rider
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #693 on: December 29, 2010, 11:30:31 AM »

I'm halfway through it and it's pretty good. I picked it up after re-watching the Billy Zane Phantom and I'm glad I did.

Jumping Kings and Making Haste Ain't my Cup of Meat
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #694 on: December 30, 2010, 05:37:14 PM »

Ye-es.

Sinclair McKay's "The Man with the Golden Touch."

The first Bond film (Dr. No) for the cinema came out in 1962, and Ian Fleming was writing and publishing the Bond books a decade for that. So, that's almost fifty to sixty years of Bond, and McKay covers that as he writes how the real world influenced Bond, and the Bond world influenced . . .

the real world and world of fiction
the U.K. and the U.S.
films and literature
the cinema and TV
and attitudes toward women, minorities, homosexual and homosexual women.

But despite all the serious topics covered, the author  keeps a light touch on his subject and makes the book an easy read. Highly recommended for any Bond fans out there.

Next time: Stan Lee's "The Silver Surfer"
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #695 on: December 30, 2010, 10:43:19 PM »

Just finished Father Does Know Best the shocking memoirs of LAUREN CHAPIN.  I have already started Life by KEITH RICHARDS which spurred my recent interest in middle period ROLLING STONES

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #696 on: December 30, 2010, 10:57:06 PM »

Marvel Masterworks: the Fantastic Four Vols. 1 and 2!!!!

Vol 1 has issues 1-10 and vol.2 has 11-20 plus the first annual.
And all the art is vintage Jack Kirby! Some guest stars-Sub Mariener! the HULK! Dr.Doom (of course)! Ant Man!Spiderman! And MORE! MORE! EXCELCIOR!

( I plan on getting the Marvel Masterworks SGT FURY AND HIS HOWLING COMMANDOS when I get the pennies...kinda in a hole now....)

side note-ever notice that in the old FF's the Thing looked like John Agar in HAND OF DEATH? That film came out shortly before FF #1. Coincidence? Hmmmm...I wonder...

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
ImaginaryFoot
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #697 on: January 01, 2011, 03:04:22 AM »

Yes

Lima beans are the Devil
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #698 on: January 03, 2011, 04:59:37 PM »

I'm almost finished with the entire James Bond series.  I have about 70 pages remaining in YOU ONLY LIVE TWICE.  Then it's on to MAN WITH THE GOLDEN GUN (which I read several times many, many years ago).  One more book after that and I will have finished the entire series.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #699 on: January 08, 2011, 06:46:22 PM »

THE MAN WITH THE GOLDEN GUN.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #700 on: January 08, 2011, 06:58:38 PM »

shock cinema magazine
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #701 on: January 08, 2011, 08:43:21 PM »

I just finished Laura Ingraham's THE OBAMA DIARIES.
A pretty funny piece of right-wing political propaganda; I wouldn't have paid money for it, but since it was a gift, I did enjoy it.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #702 on: January 09, 2011, 03:09:50 PM »

Ye-es.

Stan Lee's "The Silver Surfer"

If you want to see the sheer genius of the incredible mind of Stan Lee, then look no farther than his "The Silver Surfer."

If "The Fantastic Four" is represntative of the early '60's, then "The Silver Surfer" is representative of the late '60's, which shows what a momentous decade it was. For one thing, Afro-Americans start to appear in major roles in the stories of Stan Lee.

The Silver Surfer also almost becomes a Christ like figure. For if the New Testament tells us that Christ was tempted while in the Wilderness, then The Silver Surfer is also tempted by one of Satan's minions in one of the stories.

But darn, Lee sure lays the philosophy on with a trowel in the stories. Which does lead to a great parody called "The Simple Surfer," which starts with the origins of the Simple Surfer and ends with a surf off between the Simple Surfer, Archie and Jughead, Little Orpahn Annie and Sandy, and Frankie Avalon and Annette Funicello.

Next time: "The Men Who Would Be King" by Nicole LaPorte.
Couchtr26

« Reply #703 on: January 12, 2011, 07:26:42 PM »

Various collections by Clark Ashton Smith, HP Lovecraft and Robert E. Howard.  I enjoy Smith's writing more then the other two.  However, his subject matter seems less varied except for poems. 

Ah, the good old days.
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #704 on: January 12, 2011, 08:21:12 PM »

Next week I'm ordering The Works of SHIRLY JACKSON-which includes all her short stories,and the two novels THE HAUNTING OF HILL HOUSE and WE HAVE ALWAYS LIVED IN THE CASTLE. If you have never read any of Miss Jacksons writing-change your life.  Thumbup

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Pages: 1 ... 45 46 [47] 48 49 ... 151
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Reading anything? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.