Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 02:58:05 AM
712923 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Reading anything? « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 151
Author Topic: Reading anything?  (Read 739978 times)
Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #75 on: February 21, 2009, 05:42:22 AM »

Reading my favourite fictional novel again for the 6th time...

Found a copy in a used book store. On your recommendation, I bought it, and I'm enjoying it so far. At this point, everybody is still puzzling over what a weird car it is, but it has yet to do something.

That's great Andy!  Thumbup

indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #76 on: February 21, 2009, 08:35:18 AM »

Just finished a biography of Andrew Jackson called AMERICAN LION by John Meacham.  It was a very well-written and sympathetic portrait of our seventh President,  who was not the brute he was sometimes portrayed as.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #77 on: February 21, 2009, 08:59:21 AM »

Just finished...for the first time since high school...John Hershey's Hiroshima.

Got from ebay...

Famous Monsters of Filmland mags! Issue #34-which has a fun articale on the HORRORS of SPIDER ISLAND,FM 1965 Fearbook-with a cool Basil Gogos Glenn Strange/Frankenstein cover, and...this one...!

FM # 20!!! Yowsa!

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #78 on: February 21, 2009, 09:24:53 AM »

One thing that struck me about that particular cover, though. Looks like they're trying to evoke thoughts of Christine, since they didn't use an actual Buick Roadmaster in the design.

The Roadmaster described in the story is a far more sinister looking car.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #79 on: February 21, 2009, 09:28:45 AM »

One thing that struck me about that particular cover, though. Looks like they're trying to evoke thoughts of Christine, since they didn't use an actual Buick Roadmaster in the design.

There's a couple of different covers for the book, the others do depict a Buick Roadmaster tho'.  Smile

Doggett
Bustin' makes me feel good !
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I've seen things you people couldn't imagine...

« Reply #80 on: February 21, 2009, 09:36:36 AM »

There's a couple of different covers for the book, the others do depict a Buick Roadmaster tho'.  Smile

I've tried to read four King books and I haven't finished any of them. I think he's over-rated, I prefer Clive Barker.

The four I tried to read:

The Shining
Christine
Dreamcatcher
Tommyknockers

If God exists, why did he make me an atheist? Thats His first mistake.
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #81 on: February 21, 2009, 10:03:38 AM »

For me, King is one of those authors who rewards patience. His stories can start out pretty slow, there's a lot of setup, and it's tempting to put the book down a couple of chapters in. Read far enough, though, and it gets pretty engrossing. When I read The Shining last year, the only thing that kept me reading was that I'd seen the movie many times and knew what was coming, but also that the book was sufficiently different that there would be surprises. It paid off as the book got going, but I might have moved on to something else had the story been entirely new to me.

---------------------
CaptnTripps
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #82 on: February 21, 2009, 10:05:53 AM »

currently reading, Wolves of the Calla (S.K.)... almost done with the series.

"Look at this! It bit me, i've been savaged"
Doggett
Bustin' makes me feel good !

I've seen things you people couldn't imagine...

« Reply #83 on: March 03, 2009, 01:14:57 AM »

If God exists, why did he make me an atheist? Thats His first mistake.
Wag
Bad Movie Lover

It's a real cat and carrot situation

« Reply #84 on: March 03, 2009, 05:42:35 PM »

For me, King is one of those authors who rewards patience.

I have only read From a Buick 8 of Stephen King (at the insistance of Circus) but from what I have read, I have to say I agree with that. I am impressed with him so far because Buick is a potentially stupid concept but it is pulled off so effectively.

I'm currently trying to read a Heroes novel (Saving Charlie) but as big a fan as I am of Heroes, it is proving less than engrossing, so am open to suggestions for my next read.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2009, 07:03:00 PM by Wag » Logged

Where the hell is that soothing music coming from?
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #85 on: March 03, 2009, 10:11:11 PM »

Coraline, by Neil Gaiman

I was interested in the changes in the story between the novel and the movie version.  Actually, the story so far is a bit darker and more surreal, but there's a lot more detail in the movie.  And, Coraline herself was sort of a cypher in the story, whereas in the movie she has a definite character as an ingrate kid.  I think that change was really effective in bringing out the "there's no place like home" theme.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
schmendrik
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #86 on: March 04, 2009, 06:41:46 AM »

I mentioned elsewhere that I'm working my way through this collection of pulp stories:

I just made the pleasant discovery that The Saint is a character from this era, in a story called "The Invisible Millionaire" by Leslie Charteris. I thought when Roger Moore played The Saint on TV, that was an original character. Now I've got a new mission: tracking down other Saint stories.
InformationGeek
Leader of the Friends' for Info
B-Movie Site Webmaster

Let's all be Friends.

« Reply #87 on: March 05, 2009, 07:37:21 PM »

I'm reading The Red Badge of Courage and Fahrenheit 451 for school.

I just finished reading MW by Omeza Tezkua, here's the guy behind Astro Boy.  I must say, as a Christian, that was certianly a bit of a... different story that was a bit weird to read.  It was overall good, but I hate the ending.  I mean I could see this coming a mile away after that guy got shot to death.

We live in quite an interesting age. You can tell someone's sexual orientation and level of education from just their interests.
Hammock Rider

« Reply #88 on: March 10, 2009, 11:04:51 AM »

Hey doggett Carl Hiaasen is tops. So is this guy, who writes in a similar vein:

When I'm finished with this one I plan to check out his newest, Nuclear Jellyfish.

Jumping Kings and Making Haste Ain't my Cup of Meat
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #89 on: March 10, 2009, 03:48:13 PM »

Finished From a Buick 8. Very entertaining story. Having a family full of cops, and having worked with the police as a reporter, the story struck a chord with me. I also love a good "object of unknown origin" story. King was really at his most Lovecraftian.

I've now moved on to Michael Slade's Headhunter. I got into his Special X thrillers a couple of years ago, and read all the ones that were readily available. Now I'm tracking down the earlier ones that keep getting referenced. Headhunter is the first. Slade is an amazing author. He comes up with stuff that is sick beyond belief, yet very compelling. And the stories always have a lot of real history behind them. They're sort of a mix of police procedural, horror and history lesson.

---------------------
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 151
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Reading anything? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.