Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 05:42:59 PM
714415 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Reading anything? « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 151
Author Topic: Reading anything?  (Read 748562 times)
Vik
« Reply #450 on: April 04, 2010, 09:19:49 PM »

InformationGeek
Leader of the Friends' for Info
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Let's all be Friends.

« Reply #451 on: April 04, 2010, 09:25:50 PM »

I've been reading Oishinbo: Japanese Cuisine again.  It was good book for a collection of stories from the series.

I'm going to be rereading When They Cry: Cotten Drifting Arc soon for a review on my blog.  I had already read it before hand and it was really good.  Hopefully, it is still good after I do a hard examination of it.

We live in quite an interesting age. You can tell someone's sexual orientation and level of education from just their interests.
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #452 on: April 04, 2010, 10:37:44 PM »

Just finished the latest in the Special Agent Pendergast series by Doug Preston and Lincoln Child - it's called CEMETERY DANCE and is a rollicking good read.  The novel begins with the brutal murder of one of the series' recurring characters, NYT journalist William Smithback.  He is brutally stabbed in his apartment by a man who apparently committed suicide two weeks before.  Then the story rolls on to an exciting adventure involving voodoo, zombies, a mysterious, ancient cult operating out of a park on Manhattan Island, and angry animal rights protesters.

I finished it in a single day!!

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Jim H

« Reply #453 on: April 04, 2010, 11:20:52 PM »

Reading Promise to a Dead Man.  Fast moving and short western story.  Pretty enjoyable.

I also just read a big chunk of the Enemy Papers.  This has the novella, Enemy Mine, which the film of the same title is based on.  It also has a lot of the Talman, the alien bible, in it, as well as two followup stories.  Worth checking out for anyone who likes hard sci-fi.
InformationGeek
Leader of the Friends' for Info
B-Movie Site Webmaster

Let's all be Friends.

« Reply #454 on: April 07, 2010, 10:26:06 AM »

I checked this book out from the school libray: Social Reform Movements: The Civil Rights Movement.  We are getting close to that in our history and since it is one of the most interesting parts of U.S.'s history, I wanted to know more about it.

We live in quite an interesting age. You can tell someone's sexual orientation and level of education from just their interests.
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #455 on: April 08, 2010, 06:47:38 PM »

Ye-es.

Rick Geary's "A Treasury of Murder"

Some from the 19th century. Some from the 20th century. Some in the U.K. Some in the U.S. Some well known. Some lesser known, but all seemingly have the . . .

Who: people involved.
Where: maps provided to show location
What and When: the events, as can be best determined, in chronological order.

As of 2008, there were nine books in the series. I've only read two of them so far. The Borden murders and the Lindbergh kidnapping.

The others . . .

Jack the Ripper
"The Fatal Bullet." From the cover, it looks like the murder of President Garfield.
Mary Rogers., which gave rise to Edgar Allan Poe's 'The Mystery of Marie Roget," one of the first detective short stories in American literature.
"The Beast of Chicago" aka Herman Webster Mudgett aka H. H. Holmes. Regarded as being one of the first serial killers in American crime.
The murder of President Lincoln.
Madeleine Smith, who was tried for the poisoning of her blackmailing lover.
The Bloody Benders, who ran a boarding house in the Midwest, during the 19th century. A boarding house where their boarders checked in but did not check out.

If you are interested in the subject of murder, there are a good introduction, as the author and illustrator is apparently totally neutral about the guilt or innocence of the murderers. In the case of the Borden murders, he provides reasonable evidence, as to why she was guildty. And in the case of the Lindbergh kidnapping, he provides reasonable evidence as to why the kidnapper might have been innocent.

Next time: "Graphic classics"
Jim H

« Reply #456 on: April 09, 2010, 04:27:48 AM »

I just started reading Showdown in the Show-me State: The Fight Over Conceal-and-Carry Gun Laws in Missouri.

Yeah, what a title, huh?  For those not aware of the issue, and those outside the country, concealed carry had a long and arduous process of being passed in Missouri, and in fact Missouri was one of the last states to pass it.  Took about 14 years, with many failed efforts.  This sort of political book I often find interesting, as Missouri is often divided more regionally than by party.  That is, numerous democrats were very important in getting concealed carry past, and there were also republicans who fought against it.   It's more rural VS urban, than democrat VS republican. 

The book is also dated in several aspects (as it came out when passage was still new).  And considering how recent this history is, it seems a shame there's no new research conducted for the book (it's all newspapers, etc).  But, as a basic and mostly correct chronology, it's still interesting reading.  So are the amazon reviews, where a couple of the important politicians/people involved in the story comment very negatively.

http://www.amazon.com/SHOWDOWN-SHOW-ME-STATE-CONCEAL-CARRY/product-reviews/0826215874/ref=cm_cr_dp_all_helpful?ie=UTF8&coliid=&showViewpoints=1&colid=&sortBy=bySubmissionDateDescending

I'm not through with it yet, but in a lot of ways it's interesting reading.  Sometimes it's actually inspiring, as it's nice to read about political action and government workers fighting, debating, and working hard (on both sides) to do something they obviously believe in. 

It's refreshing after seeing so much cynical political posturing at a more national level.
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #457 on: April 09, 2010, 06:33:04 AM »

I'm currently re-reading John Wyndham's The Day of The Triffids ~ I haven't read it since high school and the BBC series in 1981 with John Duttine, Emma Relph and the late Maurice Colbourne was great.  Smile

Now the Beeb have gone and remade it: is nothing sacred?  Buggedout

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #458 on: April 09, 2010, 04:51:12 PM »

Now the Beeb have gone and remade it: is nothing sacred?  Buggedout

No Trevor. Please come over here and help me murder absolutely everyone.  Wink

3mnkids

« Reply #459 on: April 12, 2010, 01:53:59 PM »

How to make friends with demons by Graham Joyce.

There's no worse feeling than that millisecond you're sure you are going to die after leaning your chair back a little too far~ ruminations
Torgo

« Reply #460 on: April 13, 2010, 08:50:11 AM »

I'm currently working my way through "Peter Jackson: A Filmmaker's Journey".  Got it for my birthday this past March.

"There is no way out of here. It'll be dark soon. There is no way out of here."
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #461 on: April 13, 2010, 09:45:45 AM »

Figured with only two more left in the series, I'd keep going with Slade's Special X thrillers. The one I'm on right now, slightly out of order, is Bed of Nails, which happened to be at the local library. Funny, they have about three of the books from ten years ago, but nothing before or since. I might donate a set of paperbacks.

Anyway, The Ripper returns, having been locked up following his tribute to Agatha Christie's "And Then There Were None" a couple of books ago. He's completely broken with reality at this point, and he's directing a similarly delusional killer from within a high-security mental hospital. Pretty good so far. It digs further into the occult and the story of Jack the Ripper, which were explored in the earlier book, "Ripper."

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
BeyondTheGrave

Punks not Ded sez Rich

« Reply #462 on: April 14, 2010, 02:39:22 PM »

Most of all I hate dancing then work,exercise,people,stupidpeople

Joe the Destroyer
« Reply #463 on: April 15, 2010, 05:52:22 AM »

Still reading Lair of the White Worm, and it's failing to impress.  Bluesad
Jim H

« Reply #464 on: April 15, 2010, 11:57:56 AM »

I just started reading Alice in Wonderland + Alice Through the Looking Glass.  Never read them before.
Pages: 1 ... 29 30 [31] 32 33 ... 151
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Reading anything? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.