Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 07:16:30 AM
714393 Posts in 53096 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Reading anything? « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 151
Author Topic: Reading anything?  (Read 748366 times)
SkullBat308
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #630 on: October 06, 2010, 03:57:53 PM »

The Book Of Negroes- Lawrence Hill
Frankenstein Book 1- Dean Koontz
The Shock Doctrine- Naomi Klein
The Body and Social Theory- Chris Shilling
Where Race Does Not Matter: The New Spirit of Modernity- Cecil Foster
Sociology of the Body: A Reader

The Human Blood keeps them alive, FOREVER

"Life is a hideous thing, and from the background behind what we know of it peer daemoniacal hints of truth which make it sometimes a thousandfold more hideous." - Lovecraft
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #631 on: October 07, 2010, 02:27:41 PM »

The Vampire economy - it's about the latter not the former. an insiders view of the demented economic system of the nazis
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #632 on: October 09, 2010, 07:22:34 PM »

"The Complete Poetry of Cesar Vallejo."  No, I do not like modern poetry.  I'm only reading it because I'm about to review SONGS FROM THE SECOND FLOOR and the director says it inspired him to make the movie.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
BoyScoutKevin
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #633 on: October 10, 2010, 03:30:45 PM »

Ye-es.

Sherlock Holmes. v.1. The trial of Sherlock Holmes in 5 chapters. Published by Dynamite Entertainment and including one of the lesser known Holmes short stories by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.

If anything, this proves Doyle was a better writer than most of his imitators.

Plot
Doyle: unique
Imitators: old hat

Story
Doyle: clear
Imitators: confusing

Characters
Doyle: memorable
Imitators: unmemorable

Descriptions
Doyle: Colorful
Imitators: Colorless

Details
Doyle: that add to the story
Imitators: that add nothing to the story

Still, I have a certain amount of sympathy for anybody that tries to come up with something new in a graphic format, as because, almost as soon as the first Holmes story was off the presses, there were graphic adaptations, original stories in graphic format, and even graphic parodies.

Actually, my first introduction to Holmes, almost fifty years ago, were the stories in graphic format. Both adaptations of the stories and original stories.

And, while I'm not impressed by this, I did hear that the authors are working on a v. 2, which I would be interested in reading.

And finally, one thing about doing a graphic version of the story, one can draw the characters to reflect what you think they should look like. When one does a film version, one is stuck with whatever the actor looks like. And I doubt if many people think Holmes would look much like Robert Downey, jr.
ChaosTheory

« Reply #634 on: October 14, 2010, 06:48:06 PM »

Just finished A Journey: My Political Life by Tony Blair.  Boring title, interesting book.

This morning at the library I picked up The No. 1 Ladies' Detective Agency by Alexandar McCall Smith.  I'd seen the show but never read any of the books so I figured I should give it a try.  Also picked up Urban Gothic by Brain Keene, b/c it's time for some Halloween reading  TeddyR

Through the darkness of future past
The magician longs to see
One chance opts between two worlds
Fire walk with me
metalmonster
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #635 on: October 16, 2010, 04:30:36 PM »

LET ME IN - By John Lindqvist Ajvide

After Reading The Book I Went Out And Saw Both Movie Versions The Swedish And The American , Both Movies Were Pretty Good But Neither One Was As Good As The Book Wich Was Awesome!
InformationGeek
Leader of the Friends' for Info
B-Movie Site Webmaster

Let's all be Friends.

« Reply #636 on: October 23, 2010, 07:45:32 PM »

I'm currently reading through Stephen King's It.  This will certianly take quite a while being that the book is over 1,000 pages!  So far, it's pretty good, but not enough It.

We live in quite an interesting age. You can tell someone's sexual orientation and level of education from just their interests.
Newt
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.

I want to be Ripley when I grow up.

« Reply #637 on: October 23, 2010, 09:04:03 PM »

So far, it's pretty good, but not enough It.

Wait for It.  Twirling

"May I offer you a Peek Frean?" - Walter Bishop
"Thank you for appreciating my descent into deviant behavior, Mr. Reese." - Harold Finch
Sleepyskull

Well,well,well...

« Reply #638 on: October 23, 2010, 11:14:30 PM »

I'm currently reading through Stephen King's It.  This will certianly take quite a while being that the book is over 1,000 pages!  So far, it's pretty good, but not enough It.

I read that a few years ago and I really enjoyed it, but it was also very confusing to me. I think part of that is due to my ADHD... Still the parts that I totally understood I really liked! Now of course I don't remember them very well... I'll just have to re-read it someday!

Humanity takes itself too seriously. It is the world`s original sin. - Oscar Wilde
Hammock Rider

« Reply #639 on: October 28, 2010, 08:53:49 AM »

Jumping Kings and Making Haste Ain't my Cup of Meat
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #640 on: October 28, 2010, 09:46:49 AM »

I read that a few years ago and I really enjoyed it, but it was also very confusing to me. I think part of that is due to my ADHD... Still the parts that I totally understood I really liked! Now of course I don't remember them very well... I'll just have to re-read it someday!

I read it a little over a year ago myself. What I liked best was the way King conveyed the idea of growing up in a pre-1980s small town, and returning years later to find it changed, yet disturbingly familiar. I can relate to that.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #641 on: October 28, 2010, 05:30:53 PM »

Ye-es.

The sublime and the ridiculous.

The sublime. They're back and they're in hard cover.  Classics illustrated.  Deluxe edition. "Wind in the Willows." "Tales from the Brothers Grimm." and "Frankenstein." Regular edition. "Great Expectations" "The Invisible Man" "Through the Looking Glass' "The Raven and Other Poems." "Hamlet" and forthcoming "Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde."

I read "Hamlet," which is not only regarded as being Shakespeare's greatest play, but one of the greates plays ever written. It is not my favorite of his plays, but I did study it in college, and I've seen umpteeneth versiions of it, and this, while an abbreviated version, is a fairly decent version, as it gets at the gist of the story. Adapted by Steve Grant and Tom Mandrake.

The ridiculous. "Twilight: the Graphic Novel" Stephanie Meyer and Young Kim. It starts out well enough. While the plot has been done multitude times before, it is passable. And the early writing is decent, but as the writing continues it seemingly--unintentionally--becomes increasingly bizarre. They sparkle. She'll never live that down. And as the story becomes increasingly bizarre, it becomes increasingly laughatble and increasingly illogical. Here's a vampire family that doesn't want to draw attention to itself, so it lives for--apparently--generations in the same town without growing older or changing. Yeah, that makes sense.

Next time: "Pride and Prejudice and Zombies"

Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #642 on: October 29, 2010, 09:12:25 AM »

I just got David Alexander's Gene Roddenberry: Star Trek Creator from the library.

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #643 on: October 29, 2010, 12:27:15 PM »

Trevor- read it quickly enough so you can return it on time, otherwise you will receive a fine.
Doggett
Bustin' makes me feel good !

I've seen things you people couldn't imagine...

« Reply #644 on: October 30, 2010, 11:44:24 AM »

Its a victorian adventure !

Why am I reading it ?
Erm... No idea. I was in the libarary and felt guilty that I wasn't taking any books out so I took out the above book's sequal too:

And I took out this:

Which is part of a series of books, only it doesn't mention that on the cover. So I'm in the middle of a bunch of characters and situations I don't understand. I'm determined to finish it though.

If God exists, why did he make me an atheist? Thats His first mistake.
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 151
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Entertainment  |  Reading anything? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.