Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 06:53:02 AM
712928 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Need computer help « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Need computer help  (Read 4059 times)
akiratubo
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: November 27, 2008, 11:51:23 PM »

I have a virus or something.  When I go to any search engine and search for anything, a bogus search results page comes up.  All the links go to spam pages, i.e. if I search for "bad movies" I'll get a search result that says "bad movies" but when I click on it, I'll be taken to a popup ad for "Best Prices for 2008 BMWs" or other such nonsense.

Also, more disturbingly, this virus has blocked my access to any websites for antivirus or anti-spyware software.  I can't update my spyware removers or antivirus programs, nor can I access any websites to download any such programs.  For example, if I try to go to www.lavasoft.com, I'll either be instantly redirected to a spam page or I'll get "page cannot be displayed".

What can I do?  Am I just going to have to format and reinstall?

Kneel before Dr. Hell, the ruler of this world!
Doctor Menard
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2008, 12:53:22 AM »

Try this: http://siri.urz.free.fr/Fix/SmitfraudFix_En.php

It can remove a lot of these system hijacking type malwares.

Read and follow the instructions on the page.

Let me know if you have any difficulty accessing the page due to the malware and I'll put the download on my site, with the instructions.
akiratubo

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2008, 01:47:43 AM »

Thanks, Menard, but that didn't fix it.  I've been chasing this around all damn day. Hatred

Doctor Menard
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2008, 08:35:49 AM »

Try this: http://majorgeeks.com/downloads31.html

You can download definitions (updated) for ad-aware to manually update them. Check out some of the other programs as well.

See if you can get a name for the malware, or the main website with which it seems to be connected, and do a Google search to see if somebody may have a fix for it.
Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2008, 08:44:15 AM »

The redirects could be as simple as a changed windows hosts file.  On most windows systems there is a file called "hosts" that contains local DNS address information.  If the malware modified that file it could be what is preventing you from getting to those security sites.

For Windows 2000 and newer, the hosts file can be found at:

\%SystemRoot%\system32\drivers\etc\ (where the %SystemRoot% will often be C:\windows

You can open the hosts file with notepad.  More than likely, the only actual entry should be this one:

127.0.0.1       localhost

If you see other entries they will probably be for the blocked security sites.

The malware also could have changed the registry key for the hosts file, but I think its more likely it replaced the original than did that.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
akiratubo1
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2008, 04:08:24 PM »

Nothing seems to work.  I guess I'll just have to take it in to get fixed.  I suppose I could just format and reinstall everything.  I have anything important backed up to an external drive.
odinn7

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2008, 04:59:28 PM »

I'm not sure how bad off you are but you might want to try this. This seems to fix everything and if you can get lucky enough to get to it, it may help you.

http://www.download.com/Malwarebytes-Anti-Malware/3000-8022_4-10804572.html?tag=mncol&cdlPid=10896905

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

You're not the Devil...You're practice.
akiratubo

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2008, 09:14:20 PM »

Well, I'm back.  I ended up formatting and reinstalling.  It took all day to update Windows, IE, and all my anti-spyware and anti-virus programs to where they were before.

Can't quite get my ATI graphics card to work; I'm using the default graphics driver for now.

Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Need computer help « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.