Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 06:31:09 AM
714463 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7743 Members
Latest Member: medikam
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Wes Craven's New Nightmare « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Wes Craven's New Nightmare  (Read 4170 times)
HarlotBug3
Bad Movie Lover

« on: December 08, 2008, 05:17:16 PM »

My wife and I recently watched all ten, yes eye through ex, Friday the 13th movies, followed by all seven Nightmare on Elm Street movies.

80s cheese is one thing, and both did their best to bring it to new lows, but 'Wes Craven's New Nightmare' is one of the lamest attempts at metafiction I've ever seen. Hell, it is frankly one of the lamest movies I've ever seen. No matter how merely 'bad' the others were, this one was essentially unwatchable.

My OCD demands I start what I finish, but to anyone else looking to watch "all" the nightmare movies: I'll forgive you if you skip this one.  Thumbdown

"Do you have something against droppings?" "Well, no, I..." "Sure, everyone says that till they step in it."
Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2008, 05:30:24 PM »

Buggedout I actually think it's a masterpiece compared to 4,5 & 6. I thought it was a decent enough concept seeing as the series had run out of juice. Freddy looked quite scary for once too, before all the lame "rubber pizza" masks they got him wearing.

Torgo
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2008, 06:01:13 PM »

Buggedout I actually think it's a masterpiece compared to 4,5 & 6. I thought it was a decent enough concept seeing as the series had run out of juice. Freddy looked quite scary for once too, before all the lame "rubber pizza" masks they got him wearing.

Couldn't agree more. The thing that brings down New Nightmare a bit was Wes Craven's "acting" in the scenes that he was in.

"There is no way out of here. It'll be dark soon. There is no way out of here."
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2008, 09:45:21 PM »

As cheesy as the movies may have been, I've always been fond of the Nightmare flicks, especially when compared to other franchises.  4-6 may have been cheesy, but none more so than the Friday or Halloween flicks.

New Nightmare was definitely a step up, and a fitting 'end', I suppose for the series.  Granted, they made Freddy vs. Jason, but that seemed more a fanservice film than anything.

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
John Randal
Dedicated Viewer

The Movie Renegade

« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2008, 03:17:48 AM »

New Nightmare was not executed very well but I think that was the scariest Freddy out of all the movies.
Derf
Crazy Rabbity Thingy
Proofreader
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Lagomorphs: menace or underutilized resource?

« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2008, 08:14:31 AM »

I thought it was different enough to be enjoyable. Freddy hadn't been really scary since the first movie (which had some reasonably good creepy moments), so I didn't go into the movie expecting scares, just entertainment. Yeah, the storyline was cheesy but well-done overall, and I didn't notice until the opening credits came on at the end that they hadn't been shown at the start, which I thought was kinda neat. I can see how it might not have worked for everyone, but I remember enjoying it when I saw it in the theater (haven't watched it since).

"They tap dance not, neither do they fart." --Greensleeves, on the Fig Men of the Imagination, in "Twice Upon a Time."
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2008, 08:28:01 AM »

I couldn't even make it through more than about 15 minutes of that thing.  I thought the first NOES was great, but after that the franchise almost immediately went down the crapper.  The whole "go into the dream, have somebody wake you up - but they ALWAYS fall asleep - and pull Freddy out into the real world" got really old, really fast.  This past Halloween I thought that maybe I had been a little to hard on the franchise, so I made an effort to watch them again.  No, I hadn't been too hard on them, just forgotten how truly awful they were.  And I'm a gigantic slasher fan too - my DVD collection is a veritable smörgåsbord of cheesy slasher goodness.  But I just can't stand those movies at all.  And the last one is practically the worst of the lot.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2008, 09:19:26 AM »

By the time this film came out the world had kind of forgotten that Freddy was a bad @ss.  Thats thanks to the awful part 4 (which proved to be an MTV culture nightmare) and the forgettable following films. This film kind of reinstated that Freddy was in fact a powerful and downright frightening entity.  That and you felt bad for the victims unlike the last 3 films. 

I guess my twos complaints are Freddy simply got turned into a generic type of monster.  Englund at least gave Freddy character.  That and the kid who played the son was waaaaaay too over the top. Then again, the kid also played Gage in Pet Semetary but to a much more effective manner.  You figure with age he would have gotten a bit better.  And yes I know I'm picking on a kid... TeddyR

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2008, 05:49:38 PM »

I thought it was good--not great, but good.  Another retread wouldn't have done a thing for me, unless it was laughably incompetent. 

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Wes Craven's New Nightmare « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.