Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 05:01:13 AM
712927 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Bad Baby Names « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Author Topic: Bad Baby Names  (Read 29906 times)
Newt
Mostly Harmless. Mostly.
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I want to be Ripley when I grow up.

« Reply #45 on: January 31, 2009, 05:33:09 PM »

Not Red Dwarf...

Blake?

"May I offer you a Peek Frean?" - Walter Bishop
"Thank you for appreciating my descent into deviant behavior, Mr. Reese." - Harold Finch
ghouck

Afro-Mullets RULE!

« Reply #46 on: January 31, 2009, 05:42:31 PM »

I was named after a popular British SCI-FI show in the '80s
There was a TV show called "Dogett"?

Raw bacon is GREAT! It's like regular bacon, only faster, and it doesn't burn the roof of your mouth!

Happiness is green text in the "Stuff To Watch For" section.

James James: The man so nice, they named him twice.

"Aw man, this thong is chafing my balls" -Lloyd Kaufman in Poultrygeist.

"There's always time for lubricant" -Orlando Jones in Evolution
Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #47 on: January 31, 2009, 05:46:11 PM »

I was named after a popular British SCI-FI show in the '80s
There was a TV show called "Dogett"?

Blake's 7  TeddyR

AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #48 on: February 02, 2009, 09:05:57 AM »

I'd have to say there are five kinds of baby names that bug me.

1) Trendy, pretentious, overdone, overused names - Madison, Jayden, Cole, etc. I especially don't like the trend of giving girls a surname as a first name. These just seem to reflect the attitude that kids are fashion accessories. Give them a cool name, dress them in cool clothes and teach them to be as uptight as you are.

2) Sweet and pure names that have become trashy - Faith, Hope, Angel, etc. Looking at some of the moms who lean toward these types of names, the irony is astounding. Do the trashy moms pick these in order to compensate? Maybe try to start the kid off right before they start dressing her like a hooker at the age of 2.

3) Creative spellings - Hilleree, Kymberleigh, Karyn, Alyson, etc. People have some expectations of how a name is spelled, and they're going to get it wrong again and again and again. Best case is you've condemned the kid to a life of having to spell the name for everybody who needs to write it down. And if you decide to flout the conventions of English pronunciation, people will also be mispronouncing it in addition to misspelling it. If you want Gabby pronounced right, you need the double B. Otherwise, you get a long vowel, and it sounds like Gaybee. Why don't some people get this?

4) Using the diminutive as the actual name - Billy, Joey, Suzy, etc. as the official name. Not only are people going to assume these are not the full name (as was mentioned earlier), but this kid is not going to be a kid forever. Pick a name that suits a man or woman, and use a nickname if you want.

5) Names that are just plain made up - This seems to be especially popular in black communities, where a girl's name can be as simple as sticking "La" on the front and "a" on the end, and jamming something pretty in between. I just think a name has to mean something. It should have some history, some significance. It should not just sound pretty.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #49 on: February 11, 2009, 04:19:38 PM »

5) Names that are just plain made up - This seems to be especially popular in black communities, where a girl's name can be as simple as sticking "La" on the front and "a" on the end, and jamming something pretty in between. I just think a name has to mean something. It should have some history, some significance. It should not just sound pretty.

Try this ...
http://www.russetmoose.com/ghetto-nicknames.html

and here is where a lot of people get there names ...
http://www.rumandmonkey.com/widgets/toys/namegen/

meQal
Some Strange Guy They Let In By Mistake

Dude! Flush Next Time!!!

« Reply #50 on: February 11, 2009, 04:35:10 PM »

I known a few people with bad names in my life.
First there was a guy I went to high school with that had a really bad name. His name was Richard but his parents called him Dick. You may ask how is that bad, well his surname was Head. People figured it out quickly one afternoon when his mom came t check him out from school and the office paged over the PA, "Dick Head come to the office please."
You can guess it took some time for an entire high school to stop rolling with laughter.

I also knew a shrink who use to joke about his name all the time. His name was Ivan Seymore Butts but would shorten it to I. Seymore Butts. He use to tell people he should of been a proctologist instead of a psychiatrist.

Then there was the one my mom told me about when I was a kid. She sold insurance and wrote a life insurance policy out to a woman on her granddaughter. The child's name was Female and claimed that the hospital named the child on  the birth certificate.

Movie Trivia Fact : O.J. Simpson was considered for the title role in The Terminator, but producers feared he was \"too nice\" to be taken seriously as a cold-blooded killer.<br />Isn\'t hindsight great.<br />A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it. - Agent Kay - Men in Black
Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #51 on: March 13, 2009, 07:13:21 PM »

I was walking home from work today and came toward the corner of my street, with some woman standing there. She had one kid with her and was shouting to another to "hurry up" and said "c'mon Dre.... Then, this blonde haired toddler comes flumping round the corner! Dre!?? Dre, goddamit! By the time that kid gets to high school, he'll already be smoking skunk, have a pimped out "ride" and be obsessed with butts... Lookingup

Wag
Bad Movie Lover

It's a real cat and carrot situation

« Reply #52 on: March 14, 2009, 03:57:53 AM »

I have a somewhat higher tollerance for stupid names (maybe because my surname is an ingidient in Itallian cuisine, I dunno), but what annoys me is the stupid spellings of names, usink the letters Y and K where they shouldn't be. I blame text speak, as all these teenage parents do not know how to spell. I work in Advice and Guidance and one of my service users at work is about to be the father of Aden, which he asures me, in contrary to everything I have learned about the English Language) is pronounced Aiden.

It seems that every other 20-something Chav father at work has a daughter called Ruby as well. Not overly stupid compared to many names, but certainly overused where I work (unless they all think they are the father of this one Ruby...I digress).

Where the hell is that soothing music coming from?
Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #53 on: March 14, 2009, 06:46:52 AM »

It seems that every other 20-something Chav father at work has a daughter called Ruby as well. Not overly stupid compared to many names, but certainly overused where I work (unless they all think they are the father of this one Ruby...I digress).

They've all ruined the name Ruby. It was a cool 80's name, for chicks who rode on the back of motorcycles in fishnets.  Bluesad

Wag
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #54 on: March 14, 2009, 07:17:19 AM »

They've all ruined the name Ruby. It was a cool 80's name, for chicks who rode on the back of motorcycles in fishnets.  Bluesad

The Ruby(s) in question might rebel against their teenage parents and grow up to become chicks who ride on the back of motorcycles in fishnets - you never know.

AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #55 on: March 14, 2009, 07:44:33 AM »

one of my service users at work is about to be the father of Aden, which he asures me, in contrary to everything I have learned about the English Language) is pronounced Aiden.

That one's real. It's fairly common where I grew up. I remember my best friend's grandfather was called Aden.

But beware of Kaden, Braden or Jaden.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #56 on: March 14, 2009, 08:00:08 AM »

The Ruby(s) in question might rebel against their teenage parents and grow up to become chicks who ride on the back of motorcycles in fishnets - you never know.

I highly doubt that. They'll be exactly like their parents within the first 10 years of their lives. Wearing tracksuits, hanging around outside take-aways, giving people abuse and getting drunk at 8am.

Wag
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #57 on: March 14, 2009, 08:44:37 AM »

I highly doubt that. They'll be exactly like their parents within the first 10 years of their lives. Wearing tracksuits, hanging around outside take-aways, giving people abuse and getting drunk at 8am.

Yeah. I know. I was trying optimism, but it just came off as stupidity. You forgot big hoopy earrings though

Wortcov
Bad Movie Lover

the High Inquisitor of bath and wells

« Reply #58 on: March 14, 2009, 03:20:53 PM »

not really a baby name, but a 26 old woman here in Sweden tried to change her middlename to dark Knight, but the government said no.
dean

« Reply #59 on: March 14, 2009, 08:42:26 PM »

They had an interview on the radio with a guy who had one of those 'if I get such and such members of this group I'll change my name to Optimus Prime'.

Of course he did, and changed his name: the deal was for a year.  The beauty of it is that this genius forgot that he'll be graduating in under a year and will have to have his degree made out to a Transformer.

TeddyR

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Bad Baby Names « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.