Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 11:21:54 AM
714402 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  They evactuated my store today. « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: They evactuated my store today.  (Read 2575 times)
Joe the Destroyer
« on: January 02, 2009, 05:18:41 PM »

Spokane has been pretty pummeled by snow this year.  Many businesses have been shutting down early on days, mainly because of the roads.  Now, there is a new threat to business here: snow on the roof.

A grocery store nearby is shut down for a good while because their roof collapsed one evening.  Thankfully, no one was seriously hurt, though one shopper did sustain a slight ankle injury.  Not long after that a strip mall collapsed as well.  They actually had rescue crews up there still trying to dig people out.

All of the Wal-Marts in the area have been shutting down, too, except mine.  An inspector came in and said that two of the Wal-Marts must evacuate and shut down due to possible collapse.  The same inspectors told us we were fine to stay open, even though ours still had 5lbs more snow on the roof than what we were allowed.

They called a meeting telling us that we were staying put.  Meanwhile, everyone was becoming anxious.  Even if we were reinforced enough up above, most people were still freaking out about the possibility of being buried.  An hour later, a very urgent page came from an assistant manager, who told us to meet in the break room. 

The instant I heard her say, "Don't panic," I thought, "Yep, we're closing."

They had us clock out and evacuate. 

I was concerned about this junk weeks ago when they were putting my department's freight in external storage.  I had to go out there one day to pull some boxes in and fill some spaces, and noticed that the ceiling in it was bowing.  While getting some out a few days later, we even heard groans and pops coming from it. 

Crazy stuff...
Andrew
Administrator
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2009, 05:44:11 PM »

The natural predator of the big box store is...snow?

The question that jumps to mind is if it is unfeasible to remove the snow from the roofs, or do safety concerns prevent that?

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Raffine

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2009, 05:47:36 PM »

I recall back in '84 or so we had a really severe ice and snow storm in Northern Alabama. The main casualties of collapsed roofs due to the snow and ice were:

Car dealerships
Chicken farms

If you're an Andy Milligan fan there's no hope for you.
Joe the Destroyer
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2009, 07:20:05 PM »

The question that jumps to mind is if it is unfeasible to remove the snow from the roofs, or do safety concerns prevent that?

We actually had people shoveling snow off our roof for two weeks.  Makes me wonder: is the roof really that big, or were these guys really working that hard?  Then again, it did snow a hell of a lot over the last two weeks.
CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2009, 01:33:21 AM »

I was going to Spokane tomorrow night for business, but after all the snow reports I canceled. I'm not flying all the way across the country to fight snow. I'll stay here where it's 65. 

Doctor Menard
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2009, 02:22:47 AM »

We actually had people shoveling snow off our roof for two weeks.  Makes me wonder: is the roof really that big, or were these guys really working that hard?  Then again, it did snow a hell of a lot over the last two weeks.

A few things come to mind which prevent shoveling snow off of the roof, at least very effectively.

1) Walmart supercenters are large stores, as big as some store's parking lots. Whether hand shoveling it, or with a motorized thrower, you can only affect so many feet onto the roof before you are just moving it from one part of the roof to another; it's not like a parking lot where you can shove it up into a corner somewhere, it has to go off the roof and that would require moving snow banks over a few hundred feet, without the benefit of machinery.

2) Putting people and equipment on an already snow burdened roof increases the burden that much more, but it is more localized as you cannot spread out the weight of whomever is shoveling the snow.

3) Walmart roofs, as other retail stores, are not perfectly flat. Not only do you have exhaust vents on the roof, perhaps even equipment, but many Walmarts also have a skylight system to supplement daytime lighting. Many such roofs also have an edging; prevents snow and other stuff from blowing off the roof and onto customers trying to enter the store.
Joe the Destroyer
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2009, 05:07:32 AM »

A few things come to mind which prevent shoveling snow off of the roof, at least very effectively.

1) Walmart supercenters are large stores, as big as some store's parking lots. Whether hand shoveling it, or with a motorized thrower, you can only affect so many feet onto the roof before you are just moving it from one part of the roof to another; it's not like a parking lot where you can shove it up into a corner somewhere, it has to go off the roof and that would require moving snow banks over a few hundred feet, without the benefit of machinery.

2) Putting people and equipment on an already snow burdened roof increases the burden that much more, but it is more localized as you cannot spread out the weight of whomever is shoveling the snow.

3) Walmart roofs, as other retail stores, are not perfectly flat. Not only do you have exhaust vents on the roof, perhaps even equipment, but many Walmarts also have a skylight system to supplement daytime lighting. Many such roofs also have an edging; prevents snow and other stuff from blowing off the roof and onto customers trying to enter the store.

Indeed, though my store isn't a supercenter.  It's what they call a "division 1," which is Wal-Mart lingo for "obsolete design that gets treat like the bottom of the Wal-Mart food chain."
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  They evactuated my store today. « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.