Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 09:58:22 PM
712916 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Press Releases and Film News  |  2009 Oscar Nominations « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: 2009 Oscar Nominations  (Read 15690 times)
Torgo
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: January 22, 2009, 04:46:40 PM »

Best actor:

Richard Jenkins -  The Visitor

Frank Langella - Frost/Nixon

Sean Penn - Milk

Brad Pitt - The Curious Case of Benjamin Button

Mickey Rourke - The Wrestler
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Best Actress:

Anne Hathaway - Rachel Getting Married

Angelina Jolie - Changeling

Melissa Leo - Frozen River

Meryl Streep - Doubt

Kate Winslet - The Reader
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Best Supporting Actor

Josh Brolin - Milk

Robert Downey Jr. - Tropic Thunder

Phillip Seymour Hoffman - Doubt

Heath Ledger - The Dark Knight

Michael Shannon - Revolutionary Road

Best Supporting Actress

Amy Adams - Doubt

Penelope Cruz - Vicky Cristina Barcelona

Viola Davis - Doubt

Taraji P Henson - The Curious Case of Benjamin Button

Marisa Tomei - The Wrestler

Best Animated Feature Film

BOLT

KUNG FU PANDA

WALL-E

Best Art Direction

Changeling - James J. Murakami, Gary Fettis

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button - Donald Graham Burt, Victor J. Zolfo

The Dark Knight
- Nathan Crowley, Peter Lando

The Duchess
- Michael Carlin, Rebecca Alleway

Revolutionary Road - Kristi Zea, Debra Schutt

Best Cinematography

Changeling - Tom Stern

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button - Claudio Miranda

The Dark Knight - Wally Pfister

The Reader
- Chris Menges, Roger Deakins

Slumdog Millionaire - Anthony Dod Mantle

Best Costume Design

Australia - Catherine Martin

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button - Jacqueline West

The Duchess - Michael O'Connor

Milk - Danny Glicker

Revolutionary Road - Albert Wolsky

Best Director

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button - David Fincher

Frost/Nixon - Ron Howard

Milk - Gus Van Sant

The Reader - Stephen Daldry

Slumdog Millionaire - Danny Boyle

Best Feature Documentary

The Betrayal (Nerakhoon) - Ellen Kuras, Thavisouk Phrasavath

Encounters at the End of the World - Werner Herzog, Henry Kaiser

The Garden - Scott Hamilton Kennedy

Man on Wire - James Marsh, Simon Chinn

Trouble the Water - Tia Lessin, Carl Deal

Best Documentary Short Film
The Conscience of Nhem En - Steven Okazaki

The Final Inch - Irene Taylor Brodsky, Tom Grant

Smile Pinki - Megan Mylan

The Witness - From the Balcony of Room 306 - Adam Pertofsky, Margaret Hyde

Best Editing

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button - Kirk Baxter, Angus Wall

The Dark Knight - Lee Smith

Frost/Nixon - Mike Hill, Dan Hanley

Milk - Elliot Graham

Slumdog Millionaire - Chris Dickens

Best Foreign Language Film

The Baader Meinhof Complex - Germany

The Class - France

Departures - Japan

Austria - Revanche

Waltz with Bashir - Israel

Best Makeup

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button - Greg Cannom

The Dark Knight - John Caglione, Jr., Conor O'Sullivan

Hellboy II: The Golden Army - Mike Elizalde, Thom Floutz

Best Music (Score)

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button - Alexandre Desplat

Defiance - James Newton Howard

Milk - Danny Elfman

Slumdog Millionaire - A.R. Rahman

WALL-E - Thomas Newman
Best Original Song

WALL-E - "Down to Earth"

Slumdog Millionaire - "Jai Ho"

Slumdog Millionaire - "O Saya"

BEST PICTURE

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button

Frost/Nixon

Milk

The Reader

Slumdog Millionaire

Best Animated Short Film

La Maison de Petits Cubes - Kunio Kato

Lavatory - Lovestory - Konstantin Bronzit

Oktapodi - Emud Mokhberi, Thierry Marchand

Presto - Doug Sweetland

This Way Up - Alan Smith, Adam Foulkes

Best Live Action Short Film

Auf der Strecke (On the Line) - Reto Caffi

Manon on the Asphalt - Elizabeth Marre, Olivier Pont

New Boy - Steph Green, Tamara Anghie

The Pig - Tivi Magnusson, Dorte Høgh

Spielzeugland (Toyland) - Jochen Alexander Freydank

Best Sound Editing

The Dark Knight - Richard King

Iron Man - Frank Eulner, Christopher Boyes

Slumdog Millionaire - Tom Sayers

WALL-E - Ben Burtt, Matthew Wood

Wanted - Wylie Stateman

Best Sound Mixing

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button - David Parker, Michael Semanick, Ren Klyce, Mark Weingarten

The Dark Knight - Lora Hirschberg, Gary Rizzo, Ed Novick

Slumdog Millionaire - Ian Tapp, Richard Pryke, Resul Pookutty

WALL-E - Tom Myers, Michael Semanick, Ben Burtt

Wanted - Chris Jenkins, Frank A. Montaño, Petr Forejt

Best Visual Effects

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button - Eric Barba, Steve Preeg, Burt Dalton, Craig Barron

The Dark Knight - Nick Davis, Chris Corbould, Tim Webber, Paul Franklin

Iron Man - John Nelson, Ben Snow, Dan Sudick, Shane Mahan

Best Adapted Screenplay

The Curious Case of Benjamin Button - Eric Roth, Robin Swicord

Doubt - John Patrick Shanley

Frost/Nixon - Peter Morgan

The Reader - David Hare

Slumdog Millionaire - Simon Beaufoy

Best Original Screenplay

Frozen River - Courtney Hunt

Happy-Go-Lucky - Mike Leigh

In Bruges - Martin McDonagh

Milk - Dustin Lance Black

WALL-E - Andrew Stanton, Jim Reardon, Pete Docter
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm extremely happy that Heath Ledger and Robert Downey Jr. got nominated for The Dark Knight and Tropic Thunder respectively.  But how in the heck they didn't nominate The Dark Knight for either Best Picture or Best Director really makes my brain hurt.   
« Last Edit: January 22, 2009, 04:48:15 PM by Torgo » Logged

"There is no way out of here. It'll be dark soon. There is no way out of here."
WilliamWeird1313
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

Bad taste is just an acquired taste!!!

« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2009, 04:51:38 PM »

Wow. Slim pickins this year.

"On a mountain of skulls in a castle of pain, I sat on a throne of blood. What was will be, what is will be no more. Now is the season of evil." - Vigo (former Carpathian warlord and one-time Slayer lyric-writer)
Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2009, 04:53:32 PM »

I was quite surprised reading most of that  Buggedout

But anyway, c'mon Mickey!  Thumbup

InformationGeek
Leader of the Friends' for Info
B-Movie Site Webmaster

Let's all be Friends.

« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2009, 07:29:12 PM »

I look at the list and feel a little sad inside and then angry a bit.  Hatred  No nominatation for Best Picture for The Wrestler, Wall-E, and The Dark Knight?  No Best Director for Christopher Nolan?  Why aren't these being nominated?!  They were like the best pictures from last year, though Slumdog Millionare has this award in the bag now that Academy Awards Judges got rid of its biggest compedition.  Another thing, whoever heard of The Reader?  I've been checking reviews and I haven't seen enough good reviews or an overall positive score by all critics to even think it is worth a nomination, unlike... ahem... The Dark Knight.

This year was the year of amazing comic book films and animation movies that made us feel happy to be witnessing them.  So why hasn't the Academy Awards reconigize these movies and given the nominations that they deserve?  I've seen an uproar all over the Internet over these choices and films that were excluded.  Thankfully, Heath Ledger got nominateed for Best Supporting Actor.  Smile  I bet you anything there would have been uproar from everyone who loved the film and critics alike if he wasn't nominated.

We live in quite an interesting age. You can tell someone's sexual orientation and level of education from just their interests.
Torgo

« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2009, 07:48:15 PM »

The thing that I hated about them implementing a Best Animated Feature category a while back was that it pretty much has made it impossible for an animated feature to ever win Best Picture again.  Beauty and the Beast was the last animated film to my knowledge that got a Best Picture nomination  so that is proof that it can be done.

I also agree that The Wrestler should have been nominated for Best Picture.  I have seen The Reader and besides Kate Winslet being excellent in it (in addition to looking drop dead gorgeous) there's really not that much else to it.

Also, while I greatly appreciate the craft and acting of The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, the movie itself kind of left me cold and I don't think  it's quite as good as a whole as a lot of other people do.

InformationGeek
Leader of the Friends' for Info
B-Movie Site Webmaster

Let's all be Friends.

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2009, 08:08:17 PM »

The thing that I hated about them implementing a Best Animated Feature category a while back was that it pretty much has made it impossible for an animated feature to ever win Best Picture again.  Beauty and the Beast was the last animated film to my knowledge that got a Best Picture nomination  so that is proof that it can be done.

I have heard that rumor has well about The Best Animated Feature being a way so that animated films don't get nominated for Best Picture.  I never really believed that because I haven't seen a movie since Beauty and The Beast deserve the nomintation or deserved the award, outside of Spirited Away (That was an awesome movie).  However, with this decision not nominate Wall-E for best picture of the year, I now feel that same way you do about this Best Animated Feature.  I mean really!  Tons of critics have named Wall-E best film of the year in there list and it certainly had the most unique and original story all of the nominations and had the best storytelling of them all.

We live in quite an interesting age. You can tell someone's sexual orientation and level of education from just their interests.
Torgo

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2009, 08:31:31 PM »

I agreee about Wall-E. It was the best movie that I saw this year with The Dark Knight being almost equal to it IMO.

WilliamWeird1313
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2009, 09:03:56 AM »

I was quite surprised reading most of that  Buggedout

But anyway, c'mon Mickey!  Thumbup

I'm pullin' for him too.

"On a mountain of skulls in a castle of pain, I sat on a throne of blood. What was will be, what is will be no more. Now is the season of evil." - Vigo (former Carpathian warlord and one-time Slayer lyric-writer)
Pilgermann

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2009, 12:23:18 PM »

I'll echo the animation category sentiments.  It's just stupid, especially since nearly all animated films these days are so mediocre, which is Wall-E deserved a Best Picture nod over some that were picked.  But it'll win its category of course.

Of the Best Picture nominees I've only seen Frost/Nixon.  It's a good film and all, but it's not that good.  The performances are excellent, especially Frank Langella, but there's not much else to it that rises to any great level of inspiration in my opinion.

BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2009, 05:56:18 PM »

As always the supporting categories excel, while the actor categories flail. I agree about both "Wall-E" and "The Dark Knight," from anyway you look at it, they were the two best films of the year.

The Academy Awards for any number of years have been a joke, especially in the best film category. But, a joke that was--at least--partially funny. This year's choices are no longer funny. I suppose most of us could care less on how to fix the problem, but if we could fix it, what would we do?

Of the five films nominated for best film, it is interesting to see who might have the inside track on winning. It might be "Milk," for two reasons. First, of the five pictures nominated, it is probably the critical favorite. And two, it might win in lieu of "Brokeback Mountain" losing to "Crash" from a couple of years ago.
Torgo

« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2009, 06:04:45 PM »

Here's how this year's Best Pictures nominations should look like IMO:

The Wrestler

Frost/Nixon

The Dark Knight

Wall-E

Slumdog Millionaire
« Last Edit: January 23, 2009, 06:11:02 PM by Torgo » Logged

akiratubo

« Reply #11 on: January 24, 2009, 03:18:53 AM »

Wall-E not being nominated for best picture proves beyond any shadow of a doubt that the Academy Awards are completely irrelevant.

The Dark Knight, on the other hand, didn't deserve to get anywhere close to a best picture nomination.  It had a p**s-poor excuse of a script, it was full of gaping plot holes, it had poor (if any) character motivations, the action scenes were garbage, and there's always Batman's voice.  Yes, Batman's voice was that bad.  It would have brought down a much better film all by itself.  The very fact that Christopher Nolan would instruct Christian Bale to use it kicks him out of the running for best director.

Heath Ledger and Aaron Eckhart were the *only* things TDK had going for it.  IMHO, Ledger wasn't even that good.  Aaron Eckhart blew him out of the water, both as Harvey Dent and as Two-Face.

TDK was an explosion movie, period, and not even a very good one.

Kneel before Dr. Hell, the ruler of this world!
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #12 on: January 24, 2009, 05:40:24 PM »

Here's how this year's Best Pictures nominations should look like IMO:

The Wrestler

Frost/Nixon

The Dark Knight

Wall-E

Slumdog Millionaire

As I said, previously, each year I compile a list of the best films for the year, as chosen by the critics. From that standpoint, these are the five films, and which I agree, should have been chosen as the five best picture nominees.

"Wall-E"
"The Dark Knight"
"Milk"
"Slumdog Millionaire"
"Happy-go-lucky"

The Academy has shot itself in the foot in another way. Not only is "The Dark Knight," probably one of the best films of the year, it was also one of the most popular. And when you look at the TV ratings for the awards, the highest ratings have--almost always--been for a show in which a high grossing film has been a contender for best picture, such as "Titantic" or "The Return of the King." By choosing the films that they did, I can see the TV ratings for this year's show, being one of the lowest in several years.

Not choosing "The Dark Knight" does do one thing, though. It may increase Heath Ledger's chance of winning. If you look at the previous nominees, the Academy just hates to give an award to a dead person. But if the opinion is that "The Dark Knight" got "screwed" over, it may increase the sympathy vote for Ledger.
WilliamWeird1313
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2009, 08:30:46 AM »

Wall-E not being nominated for best picture proves beyond any shadow of a doubt that the Academy Awards are completely irrelevant.

The Dark Knight, on the other hand, didn't deserve to get anywhere close to a best picture nomination.  It had a p**s-poor excuse of a script, it was full of gaping plot holes, it had poor (if any) character motivations, the action scenes were garbage, and there's always Batman's voice.  Yes, Batman's voice was that bad.  It would have brought down a much better film all by itself.  The very fact that Christopher Nolan would instruct Christian Bale to use it kicks him out of the running for best director.

Heath Ledger and Aaron Eckhart were the *only* things TDK had going for it.  IMHO, Ledger wasn't even that good.  Aaron Eckhart blew him out of the water, both as Harvey Dent and as Two-Face.

TDK was an explosion movie, period, and not even a very good one.

I feel much the same way, though I'm admittedly less warm to the performances of Ledger and Eckhart.

I'm getting infinitely tired of all this talk about how much the film is getting cheated out of Best Picture when, really, it deserves that award about as much as Smokin' Aces would've deserved it.

Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2009, 12:17:00 PM »

Indeed TDK was a mediocre popcorn film but it being up for any Oscar is cool with me.  This is because 90% of the movies nominated for any type of award in the past 10 years seem to be mostly pale and lifeless dramas.  All of which I have no interest in seeing. 

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Press Releases and Film News  |  2009 Oscar Nominations « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.