Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 10:41:01 PM
712920 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  Atomic Age Classics Vol. 6: Love & Marriage « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Atomic Age Classics Vol. 6: Love & Marriage  (Read 34904 times)
Andrew
Administrator
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I know where my towel is.

« on: January 24, 2009, 11:05:21 AM »

1950s educational shorts to help your marriage.  Men always give their wives a little of their hard-earned money to go shopping, a woman's place is in the kitchen with an apron around her waist, and marrying someone of a different religion is just asking for trouble.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
InformationGeek
Leader of the Friends' for Info
B-Movie Site Webmaster

Let's all be Friends.

« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2009, 12:06:41 PM »

Hmm, I'm glad none of my classes ever shown any of these videoes so far in my school and past schools.  I swear that every guy and girl would be laughing at how weird this educational programs are.

On Social-Sex Attitudes in Adolescents film, it is pretty weird to use cats to teach a kid about sex.  At least she wasn't using rabbits, those are much worse.

About How Do You Know It's Love?, you didn't say much about it.  Was there not that much to talk about from the film?

Dicussing For Are You Ready for Marriage?, **BOOIIIINNNNGGGG** is pretty weird way to describe sex and using charts is out there as a way to dicuss how long your marriage could last.  The 50s sure was a different time.

Looking at Marriage is a Partnership, it sounds like an episode from Everyone Love Raymond to me, only so many years earlier.

On the topic of "Should I Marry Outside of My Faith?" film.  Father Manning is a bit of a jack... donkey.  As a Christian, I find that refusing to allow people to attend a service is going against everything Jesus taught.  I just hope that aren't that many people like that around today.

Anyhow, where did you find this DVD?  I got to see all these films to believe them!

We live in quite an interesting age. You can tell someone's sexual orientation and level of education from just their interests.
Andrew
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2009, 12:26:53 PM »

About How Do You Know It's Love?, you didn't say much about it.  Was there not that much to talk about from the film?

It's not much more to it than the older brother telling the boy that he doesn't understand love, then the two couples go to dinner.  What happens at dinner shows the younger brother and his girlfriend that they are not experiencing "mature" love.

Anyhow, where did you find this DVD?  I got to see all these films to believe them!

I found it via Amazon.  A few months ago I was looking for compilations of old educational shorts, and discovered the "Atomic Age Classics" series.  They're great because each DVD is only $8 new.  Anytime I review a film I try to include links, usually to Amazon.com, to buy the movie.  The links appear at the top right of the review and down at the bottom.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Tsukasamacleod
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2009, 02:03:34 PM »

I saw "Are you ready for marriage?" on MST3K. If you ask me, Mr Hall looks like the Kurgan from "Highlander".
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2009, 02:51:58 PM »

I think, if you take your religious faith seriously at all, it is a good idea to marry someone of similar beliefs.  Certainly, there should be some serious, long talks  about the issue before the relationship becomes permanent.

How sad would it be to spend your life with someone you might not get to spend eternity with?

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
ds21
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2009, 09:24:41 PM »

I think, if you take your religious faith seriously at all, it is a good idea to marry someone of similar beliefs.  Certainly, there should be some serious, long talks  about the issue before the relationship becomes permanent.

How sad would it be to spend your life with someone you might not get to spend eternity with?

Since very few people online are Christians, you'll probably get flamed for this, but I agree wholeheartedly.

As a Christian, I find that refusing to allow people to attend a service is going against everything Jesus taught.  I just hope that aren't that many people like that around today.

also right on the money.

Cheers

I'm looking forward to getting married, but I hope that the wedding night doesn't involve any shouts of 'BOOOIIINNGGG!!!!' Wink

I am David
David I am

Making the world a little more random since 1989.
bryan
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2009, 01:36:00 AM »

Funny- I'm Lutheran and my wife is Catholic.  I think the only difference is that some of prayers are different and Lutheran's only take communion once a month.  (Yes, I'm sure there are other things, but these are just off the top of my head.)  Yeah, I agreed that our children would be raised Catholic (why not, it's basically the same beliefs), and we went to a 2 hour marriage class, but none of the other weird stuff.

Sounds like a bunch of "Something Weird" stuff that Comcast has on demand. 

Of course you know what happens to the kids of an Amish and a Communist, right?  A Commish!

Zing! (ducks and runs)
Sitting Duck
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2009, 11:13:01 AM »

A marriage counsellor that looks like H.P. Lovecraft sounds most curious. Especially when you consider how disastrous Lovecraft's own marriage was.

Regarding Should I Marry Outside My Faith, we should probably keep in mind that the short was produced pre-Vatican II, when relations between the Catholic and Protostant faiths were considerably less civil.
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2009, 02:05:12 PM »

Excellent point, Sitting Duck.  I'd say denominational differences in the same faith are much more negotiable than coming from different faiths altogether . . . and of course, if religion is not important in either of your lives, then it doesn't reallly matter that much anyway.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2009, 05:36:23 PM »

How things have changed. Marrying outside of your religion is not only more acceptable, but so is marrying outside of your race.

Marry outside your race and religion, and your son may become President of the United States. Barack Obama is proof of that. His father may have been Kenyan, but his mother's people were Irish Catholics from Ireland.

Indeed, Ireland is now claiming Obama as one of their own and have even written a song about him called "There's No One as Irish as Barack Obama." And it goes something like this.

"He's Irish as bacon and cabbage and stew.
He's Hawaiian, he's Kenyan, and American, too.
He's in the White House, he took his chance.
Now let's see Barack do Riverdance."

ds21
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2009, 11:27:03 PM »

How things have changed. Marrying outside of your religion is not only more acceptable, but so is marrying outside of your race.

Marry outside your race and religion, and your son may become President of the United States. Barack Obama is proof of that. His father may have been Kenyan, but his mother's people were Irish Catholics from Ireland.

Indeed, Ireland is now claiming Obama as one of their own and have even written a song about him called "There's No One as Irish as Barack Obama." And it goes something like this.

"He's Irish as bacon and cabbage and stew.
He's Hawaiian, he's Kenyan, and American, too.
He's in the White House, he took his chance.
Now let's see Barack do Riverdance."

News flash... Obama is not Jesus.

I hope for our sake that he does a good job but the amount of fawning people are doing over him makes me sick.  He's a black guy.  Get over it.  There's good and there's bad about him.

I am David
David I am

Andrew
Administrator

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2009, 07:41:10 PM »

I saw "Are you ready for marriage?" on MST3K. If you ask me, Mr Hall looks like the Kurgan from "Highlander".

He might look a little like a gaunt Clancy Brown, but I really think Mr. Hall looks like Lovecraft:

I'm looking forward to getting married, but I hope that the wedding night doesn't involve any shouts of 'BOOOIIINNGGG!!!!' Wink

I've been using it ever since we watched the film and the results have been pretty good.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
BTM

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2009, 01:38:31 AM »

Andrew:

Whoa, you're dad was Amish?!?  For real?  Wow, what was your mom?  Did he like her meet during Rumspringa or something?

Such a short statement, but I'm sure there's tons of interesting stories behind it...
« Last Edit: February 03, 2009, 01:31:39 AM by BTM » Logged

"Some people mature, some just get older." -Andrew Vachss
ds21
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2009, 12:42:04 PM »

He might look a little like a gaunt Clancy Brown, but I really think Mr. Hall looks like Lovecraft:

I've been using it ever since we watched the film and the results have been pretty good.

lolololololololol

I am David
David I am

F-Zero
« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2009, 12:30:56 PM »

Mr. Hall is the creepiest man I have ever seen. He looks both like Lovecraft and Clancy Brown.

He acts like such a snide bastard when he's explaining marriage (or the First Federal Church's viewpoint of it) to the young couple with his charts and contraptions.

My God the 50's must have been such a terrible time when people had to be shown educational videos telling them how to live their lives.
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  Atomic Age Classics Vol. 6: Love & Marriage « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.