Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 09:40:18 PM
712916 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Recent theatrical viewings « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 78
Author Topic: Recent theatrical viewings  (Read 614022 times)
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« on: January 26, 2009, 09:48:33 PM »

It seems like there used to be a thread like this... I don't know what happened to it.  Maybe I imagined it.

Anyway, the idea is the same as the "Recent Viewings" thread, except for movies that are currently in theaters.

One of my New Year's resolutions was to try to see more movies in theaters this year.   Smile

THE CURIOUS CASE OF BENJAMIN BUTTON: A man is born as an arthritic infant and lives life backwards, ending up as a baby with Alzheimer's.  A fine story, good drama, emotion impact, superlative makeup and effects, but I've never seen a movie with so much narrative deadweight.  An entire hour of pointless vignettes (for example, the subplot involving the pygmy) could be cut out and it would be a far stronger film.  How could David Fincher adapt the novel-length FIGHT CLUB in a relatively trim 139 minutes, but it takes him 166 minutes to adapt an F. Scott Fitzgerald short story?

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
AnubisVonMojo
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Jesus H. Chelios!

« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2009, 09:57:46 PM »

My Bloody Valentine 3-D: pretty standard slasher stuff that has little to do with the original beyond character names, a mine, the killer's duds, hearts in candy boxes, and a couple of nods to scenes from the original. The real selling point? 3-D. It cost an extra $4 per ticket at the theater we went to, but sweet sassy molassey does it make all the difference! Every movie needs to be in 3-D from now on. It'd really help convince people not to wait for the DVD or download the movies online instead.  TeddyR

"Don't make me stain my last clean shirt with the back of your head." - Shatter Dead
"A grizzly bear with a chainsaw. Now THERE's a killing machine!" - The Simpsons
"I've always wanted to make love to an angry welder." - Jaws: the Revenge
Mr. DS
Master Of Cinematic Bowel Movements
B-Movie Kraken

Get this thread cleaned up or YOU'RE FIRED!!!

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2009, 10:00:11 PM »

My last viewing was The Dark Knight.  I was excited going in, excited going out and horribly let down when I watched it on DVD a few months back.   Bluesad

DarkSider's Realm
http://darksidersrealm.blogspot.com/

"You think the honey badger cares?  It doesn't give a sh*t."  Randall
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2009, 07:16:43 AM »

My most recent theatrical viewings were:

* BOLT (3-D)

* THE CURIOUS CASE OF BENJAMIN BUTTON

* GRAN TORINO

I enjoyed all of them (unusual to see 3 good ones in a row!)

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2009, 06:14:25 PM »

My last viewing was The Dark Knight.  I was excited going in, excited going out and horribly let down when I watched it on DVD a few months back.   Bluesad

That's interesting... my last viewing prior to my New Year's Resolution was THE DARK KNIGHT. 

I've had the experience several times of watching something in the theater and being entranced, then later watching it at home and realizing it wasn't that good.  I guess we're more willing to suspend disbelief in a darkened theater, and quickly forget the stuff that doesn't make sense instead of rewinding it and watching it again. 

That's one of the reasons I want to see more films at theaters.  It's easier to enjoy them, and I'm not as critical when I appraoch them.

jimmybob
Bad Movie Lover

Move over, let Jimi take over.

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2009, 06:18:35 PM »

Why not have one "What was the last movie you watched?" thread, instead of tons of smaller ones like this?

-Jimmybob

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2009, 07:40:41 PM »

Why not have one "What was the last movie you watched?" thread, instead of tons of smaller ones like this?

-Jimmybob

I'm not sure 2 threads is "tons".  Smile

My thought was that people might be interested in a discussion of what's currently playing in theaters. We can all rent stuff that's on DVD anytime we want, but if we want to go out to the movies we all have pretty much the same limited choices.

HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2009, 08:10:59 PM »

Yes Man- Jim Carrey stars as a guy who's wife breaks up with him because he doesn't 'live enough' by saying no to everything.  He's a lonely guy who doesn't date or take promotions, or even hang out with friends.  But attending a seminar changes that, as he begins to saying "Yes" to everything.  Pretty funny flick, with some funny scenes like a homeless man asking for a ride to his home in the bushes at the park, then wearing out a cell phone battery 'because for a homeless guy he's pretty popular.'

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
Doggett
Bustin' makes me feel good !

I've seen things you people couldn't imagine...

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2009, 11:33:46 AM »

That's interesting... my last viewing prior to my New Year's Resolution was THE DARK KNIGHT. 

I've had the experience several times of watching something in the theater and being entranced, then later watching it at home and realizing it wasn't that good.  I guess we're more willing to suspend disbelief in a darkened theater, and quickly forget the stuff that doesn't make sense instead of rewinding it and watching it again. 

That's one of the reasons I want to see more films at theaters.  It's easier to enjoy them, and I'm not as critical when I appraoch them.

Same here. On both counts.

If God exists, why did he make me an atheist? Thats His first mistake.
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2009, 09:26:29 AM »

Actually, I forgot to mention THE DAY THE EARTH STOOD STILL.  I guess it's so forgettable that I forgot it!

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2009, 09:31:19 AM »

I'm hoping to see The Wrestler finally at some point this week. So my last visit to the theatre was to see The Dark Knight, which I thought was awesome. I also thought it was awesome when I watched it again on DVD.

Before TDK, I had to sit through Sweeney Todd and Sex & The City, both of which nearly killed me... Bluesad

Doggett
Bustin' makes me feel good !

I've seen things you people couldn't imagine...

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2009, 12:57:32 PM »

Sex & The City

You deseve a medal, mate.

I really want to see the new Trek film. TeddyR

If God exists, why did he make me an atheist? Thats His first mistake.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2009, 04:48:52 PM »

AUSTRALIA:  Nicole Kidman plays an aristocratic English woman who travels to Australia to run her husband's cattle ranch on the eve of WWII, and encounters an abandoned half-aboriginal boy and a rough but honorable cattle drover (Hugh Jackman).  The plot's a little predictable, but the fact that this is an unapologetic throwback to classic Hollywood epic filmmaking in the style of THE AFRICAN QUEEN, with solid morals, adventure, romance, humor, and breathtaking cinematography, makes this a welcome change of pace in a cynical era.  I think it will play much better on the big screen than the small screen.  Not sure why it was snubbed by the Oscars; maybe it was just too shameless in positioning itself as an Oscar-style movie, or maybe someone forgot to blow someone.  4/5.

Jim H

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2009, 07:41:27 PM »

I ended up seeing Taken last Friday, and then again on Saturday, with two different groups of people.  I must say I quite enjoyed it both times.  I will note that it's pretty obvious at times that it was cut to get PG-13 though. 

While I enjoyed Pierre Morrel's first film, Banlieue 13 (AKA District 13), Taken is a much more mature film, with significantly better character development, a much better plot, and better acting.  Liam Neeson is excellent in the film, and carries it.  The film would have worked with a lesser actor, but it would not have worked nearly as well. 

I also must say, after the opening 20 minutes, this is one of the most consistently fast paced and very entertaining films I've ever seen.  It's a cliche to say, but this is one of the rare cases of a film that truly doesn't stop once it really gets going. 

Overall, an 8/10.  One comment I wanted to make as well: while it doesn't bother me, I have to agree with what someone pointed out to me about Liam Neeson.  His American accent is never really believable.  But he's so good, it doesn't actually matter much.
Hammock Rider

« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2009, 12:45:48 PM »

I agree about Taken. I thought it was a lot of fun and there were some unexpected moments that the audience reacted to strongly. When you get a good action movie with good actors, Wow, it really makes a difference.

Doing a 180, I also saw Hotel for Dogs. It's a pretty good kid's movie. The kids I took liked it and laughed, especially at the dogs' antics. I'm not usually a fan of animals that act unless they're terrorizing the human population of a small isolated town or island, but the animals in this movie didn't wear out their welcome. The cuteness wasn't overdone. The writers also wrote Sky High and created Kim Possible, which I think are above average kid fare.

Jumping Kings and Making Haste Ain't my Cup of Meat
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 78
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Recent theatrical viewings « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.