Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 03:00:36 AM
714431 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Recent theatrical viewings « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 76 77 [78] 79
Author Topic: Recent theatrical viewings  (Read 619537 times)
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #1155 on: February 23, 2024, 10:18:40 AM »

THE TASTE OF THINGS (2023): Two 19th century French chefs, a man and a woman, prepare (and eat) decadent meals (vol-au-vent, baked Alaska) in loving detail, with romance as the palate cleanser. I wish I could have eaten this movie instead of watching it; it made me ashamed of my popcorn. Way too long, but highly artistic, so a reluctant 3/5.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1156 on: March 04, 2024, 09:55:38 AM »

DUNE, PART 2 (2024): Hiding out in the desert, Paul Atreides bides his time seeking revenge against the Emperor and his Harkonnen lackeys, learning Fremen ways as he fulfills an ancient prophecy. The sequel turns up the epicness a notch and provides everything you could want in a blockbuster spectacle: battles, revenge, romance, dastardly villains, mysticism, marauding sandworms, Chrisopher Walken looking confused. Even at 2.75 hours it's obvious Villeneuve had to cut a lot--scenes sometimes end and pick up much later--and I think the inevitable director's cut will be taxing, but secure its masterpiece status. I suspect most will still want to give it 5/5, but I'm super picky. See it on the big screen if you can.  4.5/5.

Alex
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1157 on: March 04, 2024, 11:48:09 AM »

DUNE, PART 2 (2024): Hiding out in the desert, Paul Atreides bides his time seeking revenge against the Emperor and his Harkonnen lackeys, learning Fremen ways as he fulfills an ancient prophecy. The sequel turns up the epicness a notch and provides everything you could want in a blockbuster spectacle: battles, revenge, romance, dastardly villains, mysticism, marauding sandworms, Chrisopher Walken looking confused. Even at 2.75 hours it's obvious Villeneuve had to cut a lot--scenes sometimes end and pick up much later--and I think the inevitable director's cut will be taxing, but secure its masterpiece status. I suspect most will still want to give it 5/5, but I'm super picky. See it on the big screen if you can.  4.5/5.

If Kevin Bacon & Fred Ward don't turn up to deal with the giant worms I'm not watching it.  BounceGiggle BounceGiggle

But do you understand That none of this will matter Nothing can take your pain away
Dr. Whom
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

Cthulhu for president! Why choose the lesser evil?

« Reply #1158 on: March 06, 2024, 01:31:40 AM »

If Kevin Bacon & Fred Ward don't turn up to deal with the giant worms I'm not watching it.  BounceGiggle BounceGiggle

You really need Burt Gummer

"Once you get past a certain threshold, everyone's problems are the same: fortifying your island and hiding the heat signature from your fusion reactor."

Wenn ist das Nunstück git und Slotermeyer? Ja! ... Beiherhund das Oder die Flipperwaldt gersput.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1159 on: March 19, 2024, 08:50:26 AM »

LOVE LIES BLEEDING: Lou (Kristen Stewart) hooks up with Jackie (newcomer Katy O'Brian), who's hitchhiked to Lou's small town on her way to a bodybuilding competition in Vegas, but neglects to tell her about her violent family. A snappy neo-noir full of 'roid rage and psychosis and lesbian superwomen getting over on the Man. I was the only non-lesbian in the theater. 3/5.

M.10rda
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #1160 on: March 24, 2024, 10:02:45 PM »

Visited Ithaca, NY (my undergraduate college town, and Madame's) for our 10th anniversary, so took the opportunity to see our first big screen movie in months at Ithaca's Cinemapolis. Options were DUNE 2, LOVE LIES BLEEDING, Anthony Hopkins in ONE LIFE (which didn't look like an anniversary movie), something endorsed by Guy Maddin called HUNDREDS OF BEAVERS which looked awesome to me but I couldn't sell my partner on it, and finally the one we watched:

PROBLEMISTA (2024):
Writer/director Julio Torres also stars as a peculiar manchild from El Salvador living in NYC while pursuing his dream of inventing odd, depressive children's toys. When his ability to remain in the US legally is jeopardized, Torres finds himself at the mercy of an unstable art critic, played (almost inevitably) by Tilda Swinton. The RZA aka Bobby Digital of the Wu-Tang Clan appears in a tragicomic role as Swinton's husband, also of course called "Bobby", and does a pretty decent job; and Isabella Rossellini (again, natch) provides the narration.

I went into this one almost completely blind and I'd recommend that approach. I'll just say that, in a filmography such as Swinton's, there's little logic in nominating a standout performance... but her performance here must be at least as good as any other she's given, and she's definitely having a lot of fun giving it. Her character (who looks in her most sane moments a lot like my wife but who behaves most of the time like my sister-in-law) could've sucked all the energy out of the film and its audience by the half-hour mark, but Swinton and Torres admirably manage to locate additional dimensions to her and allow for sympathy in even this most monstrously off-putting figure. As a filmmaker, Torres earns comparisons to Gondry and Kaufman. He puts a lot of balls in the air, though is perhaps less willing than Kaufman to let those balls drop or disappear into the ether. Still, I won't complain about a resolution that is commendably rich in generosity and compassion for its warped lead characters.

4/5

I look forward to any forthcoming reviews of HUNDREDS OF BEAVERS on this site and all the potential comments that the title necessarily invites.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1161 on: March 25, 2024, 07:58:14 AM »

Visited Ithaca, NY (my undergraduate college town, and Madame's) for our 10th anniversary, so took the opportunity to see our first big screen movie in months at Ithaca's Cinemapolis. Options were DUNE 2, LOVE LIES BLEEDING, Anthony Hopkins in ONE LIFE (which didn't look like an anniversary movie), something endorsed by Guy Maddin called HUNDREDS OF BEAVERS which looked awesome to me but I couldn't sell my partner on it, and finally the one we watched:

PROBLEMISTA (2024):
Writer/director Julio Torres also stars as a peculiar manchild from El Salvador living in NYC while pursuing his dream of inventing odd, depressive children's toys. When his ability to remain in the US legally is jeopardized, Torres finds himself at the mercy of an unstable art critic, played (almost inevitably) by Tilda Swinton. The RZA aka Bobby Digital of the Wu-Tang Clan appears in a tragicomic role as Swinton's husband, also of course called "Bobby", and does a pretty decent job; and Isabella Rossellini (again, natch) provides the narration.

I went into this one almost completely blind and I'd recommend that approach. I'll just say that, in a filmography such as Swinton's, there's little logic in nominating a standout performance... but her performance here must be at least as good as any other she's given, and she's definitely having a lot of fun giving it. Her character (who looks in her most sane moments a lot like my wife but who behaves most of the time like my sister-in-law) could've sucked all the energy out of the film and its audience by the half-hour mark, but Swinton and Torres admirably manage to locate additional dimensions to her and allow for sympathy in even this most monstrously off-putting figure. As a filmmaker, Torres earns comparisons to Gondry and Kaufman. He puts a lot of balls in the air, though is perhaps less willing than Kaufman to let those balls drop or disappear into the ether. Still, I won't complain about a resolution that is commendably rich in generosity and compassion for its warped lead characters.

4/5

I look forward to any forthcoming reviews of HUNDREDS OF BEAVERS on this site and all the potential comments that the title necessarily invites.

You probably should have pulled the trigger on BEAVERS (although I can't speak for Madame, maybe she doesn't like comedies). I've heard nothing but raves (although I confess I haven't seen it all the way through myself). I did host an interview with the director and star: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RW0_OpbbSEE

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1162 on: March 27, 2024, 08:42:16 AM »

LATE NIGHT WITH THE DEVIL: A gimmicky sweeps-week Halloween broadcast of "Night Owls" program goes to Hell when the host invites a girl possessed by a demon onto the show. It's "The Exorcist" meets "The Merv Griffin Show"; slow to get started--although if you like 70s talk shows you'll love the vibe--building to a freaky conclusion. 4/5 for horror fans.

Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1163 on: March 27, 2024, 10:49:01 AM »

LATE NIGHT WITH THE DEVIL: A gimmicky sweeps-week Halloween broadcast of "Night Owls" program goes to Hell when the host invites a girl possessed by a demon onto the show. It's "The Exorcist" meets "The Merv Griffin Show"; slow to get started--although if you like 70s talk shows you'll love the vibe--building to a freaky conclusion. 4/5 for horror fans.

I get the feeling it is a kind of a knockoff of GHOSTWATCH?

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1164 on: March 27, 2024, 11:55:35 AM »

I get the feeling it is a kind of a knockoff of GHOSTWATCH?

Dunno, I never saw GHOSTWATCH.

M.10rda
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #1165 on: March 28, 2024, 05:52:02 AM »

PROBLEMISTA (2024):

You probably should have pulled the trigger on BEAVERS (although I can't speak for Madame, maybe she doesn't like comedies). I've heard nothing but raves (although I confess I haven't seen it all the way through myself). I did host an interview with the director and star: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RW0_OpbbSEE

LOL, thanks! I will watch the interview. Madame 10rda likes modern absurdist sitcoms, she likes smart character-driven comedy, she likes terrible rom-coms, and she likes British humor. What she doesn't go in for is anything sophomoric and puerile that was made after say 1990. I couldn't possibly sell her on a Jerky Boys album, for instance. She saw that poster and even her freckles went white. Then we watched the trailer and she remained unconvinced. I'm all in for it, though!  Thumbup
M.10rda
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #1166 on: March 29, 2024, 07:36:50 AM »

Thanks again for the link, Rev. If your co-host was able to watch it three times, maybe Madame will be able to get through it once.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1167 on: April 04, 2024, 09:32:19 AM »

PROBLEMISTA: Aspiring toy-designer and El Salvadoran immigrant Ale has a month to find someone to sponsor his work visa or face deportation; he volunteers to work as a personal assistant for an eccentric and demanding middle-aged art critic (Tilda Swinton) who's planning a retrospective of her cryogenically frozen husband's egg paintings. Energetically directed and frequently amusing light satire; Swinton is perfect as the ultimate self-absorbed Manhattan art world Karen. 3.5/5.

WingedSerpent
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I AM THE BAD PHOTOSHOP EFFECT!

« Reply #1168 on: April 08, 2024, 08:15:37 PM »

Godzilla x Kong: The New Empire.  

Far more in the vain of the goofy Showa Era films, then the more serious Godzilla:Minus One, but that didn't stop me from enjoying it.

At least, that's what Gary Busey told me...
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #1169 on: April 10, 2024, 08:53:47 AM »

MONKEY MAN: An underground fighter who wears a monkey mask and takes dives nightly plans an elaborate revenge against the powerful men who destroyed his village and family. Basically a big-budget B-movie with over-the-top violence silly plot twists that desperately wants to be John Wick when it grows up; wiry Dev Patel and takes a good beating, and the Mumbai setting gives it some flavor, but it makes a big deal about its Hanuman parallels, then only explores them in a shallow way. I wasn't crazy about it, but I think most audiences would eat it up.

Pages: 1 ... 76 77 [78] 79
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Recent theatrical viewings « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.