Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 05:44:43 AM
712927 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Recent theatrical viewings « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 78
Author Topic: Recent theatrical viewings  (Read 614124 times)
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #900 on: April 04, 2019, 10:25:10 AM »

CLIMAX (2018): A modern dance troupe goes crazy when someone spikes their sangria with a heavy dose of LSD. I'm convinced Gaspar Noe has no idea what he wants to say, but knows exactly how he wants to say it; this bad trip is equally pointless and nightmarish. 3.5/5.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
BoyScoutKevin
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #901 on: April 09, 2019, 07:28:43 PM »

Here are 3 dates to remember.

animated Dumbo
made: 1941
occurs: 1941

live action Dumbo
made: 2018
occurs: 1919

Which, for me, makes the live action Dumbo the most interesting to date, as both the animated Dumbo and the live action Dumbo are perfect examples of films made for their time and place. Thus . . .

physically challenged characters
1941: no
2018: yes

liberated females
1941: no
2018: yes

circus acts
1941: mostly whites
2018: racially diverse

blacks
1941: relegated to the roustabouts and the crows.
2018: wider selection of roles

sex
1941: babies are brought by the stork
2018: implied. It is implied that the French aerialist is the Dreamland owner's mistress

violence
1941: 0 deaths
2018: 1 death

Thus, whether one is better than the other is subjective, but, the live action film is far more realistic at depicting life as it was at that time, including segregated audiences, then the animated version.

And more
actors
1941: Sterling Holloway
2018: Alan Arkin, Danny DeVito, and Michael Keaton

influences
1941: film influences theme parks
2018: theme parks influence film

no small roles, only small actors
1941: the mouse is a co-star
2018: the mouse is reduced to a cameo part

villains
1941: similar and simple
2018: dissimilar and not simple

And still more

what are you trying to tell me?
1941: the animators were on strike when the film was made, so it has always been said, though whether it is true or not, the silhouettes of the drunken clowns in that one scene, are actually the silhouettes of some of the striking animators.
2018: why do the lower class villains have the stronger accents
Dreamland = Disneyland

ahead of its time
1919: no animal acts. Fewer and fewer circuses today use animals in their acts. The Barnaum and Bailey Circus actually did away with its elephant act.
1919: the plush stuffed Dumbos for sale at Dreamland are actually the same ones for sale at Disneyland.

where would you rather work
1919: Dreamland where the pay is better
1919: Medici's Family Circus where the boss is better

He liked the way they used the songs from the animated film in the live action version.

And one more thing. Both films, the animated and live action, both started in the same place, Florida.

Next time: DisneyNature's Penguins. If unable to see that, then Avengers : Endgame

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #902 on: April 11, 2019, 08:50:18 AM »

THE MAN WHO KILLED DON QUIXOTE (2017): This was a one-night-only event; I think it will show up on home video/streaming in the early Summer. Toby, once an idealist and now a commercial director, revisits Spain, where he once filmed a "Don Quioxote" student film, to find the old actor he cast now believes he is Quixote and Toby is Sancho Panza. If you know the story of the film---a Terry Gilliam passion project that had been in production hell for almost 30 years---then you realize it would be a relief if the result was just acceptable. Fortunately, it's actually good, reminiscent of Gilliam's 80s and 90s classics, with good chemistry between Jonathan Price's "Quixote" and Adam Driver's "Sancho" and an almost overwhelming serving of medieval spectacle. 4/5.

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #903 on: April 17, 2019, 08:47:12 AM »

US: Finally got around to seeing this! A family finds their beach vacation ruined by shadowy doubles who claim to be "tethered" to the family. Not as surprising, satirical or sociological as Jordan Peele's debut, GET OUT; for his sophomore effort he goes for the gut(s) with a relatively straightforward survival horror-suspense flick with an unsettling Twilight Zone twist. Lupita Nyong'o could get Oscar talk except that everyone will have forgotten about this by the time awards season rolls around. 4/5.

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #904 on: April 24, 2019, 10:27:55 AM »

THE MUSTANG (2019): An antisocial prisoner joins a program where convicts train wild mustangs for auction. The horses + redemption formula could have easily led to sentimental twaddle, but the script happily avoids prison cliches, aided by Matthias Schoenaerts' believable performance as a man whose thin wall of stoicism can barely contains his surging anger. 3.5/5.

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #905 on: May 02, 2019, 09:09:23 AM »

AVENGERS: ENDGAME: The Avengers travel through time to reverse the events of the previous movie in the series. Exactly what fans expected, no more. 3/5.

Ticonderoga 64
Disillusionist

« Reply #906 on: May 11, 2019, 06:37:26 PM »

Avengers: Endgame(2019)
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #907 on: May 17, 2019, 08:45:32 AM »

HOW TO TRAIN YOUR DRAGON: THE HIDDEN WORLD (2019): A master dragon hunter seeks to rid the world of all dragons, so Hiccup seeks to find the "hidden world," the home of all dragons across the sea, to permanently hide his friends. Full of chaotic battles, aerial courting rituals, and other prototypes for Universal Studios Orlando attractions; it's entertaining but this is the perfect place to wrap up the series, as the accumulating dragon lore is starting to get a little too complicated for the target audience. Lots of characters I didn't recognize so I figure I must have missed the first sequel. 3/5.

Gabriel Knight
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #908 on: May 21, 2019, 08:09:28 AM »

TOLKIEN (2019)

The formative years of the orphaned author J.R.R. Tolkien as he finds friendship, love and artistic inspiration among a group of fellow outcasts at school.

A generic story about an orphan who falls in love, goes to college, makes friends, and then goes to war. In the last 10 minutes they make a reference to The Hobbit. They ignore every single literary work from Tolkien, and makes zero reference to his faith. At some points it almost makes him look schizophrenic.
A complete insult to the legacy of that great writer, and another proof that the media wants to impose a "new fantasy", which consist only in reality with some dragons and zombies thrown in. No imagination required.

Avoid at all costs. 1/5

Check my crappy and unpopular reviews and ratings:

https://www.imdb.com/user/ur85652268/?ref_=nv_usr_prof_2
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #909 on: May 30, 2019, 12:19:11 PM »

BOOKSMART (2019): On the eve of their graduation, a high school president and her shy best friend regret focusing on academics and neglecting having fun, and determine to crash the cool kids' party. Fairly raunchy, like a frat boy movie for chicks, with sex jokes, crushes both lesbian and hetero, weird kids, an accidental psychedelic trip, drinking, vomiting, car chases, and life-lessons about friendship and not judging books by their covers; the high school girls in the audience went mad for it. 3.5/5.

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #910 on: June 06, 2019, 08:49:58 AM »

ROCKETMAN: Elton John's early career recounted in a mix of dramatic reenactments and Hollywood musical/music video numbers. By embracing the mythology and sidelining realism, it spiffs up the routine rock music biopic genre, slightly; a must see for John fans, obviously, and entertaining enough for everyone else. 3/5.

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #911 on: June 12, 2019, 07:55:19 AM »

RIFFTRAX: STAR RAIDERS: Kudos to RIfftrax for finding a modern bad movie. From the special effects, you'd swear this thing was made in the 90s, and from the plot you'd swear it was made in the early 80s. It was actually made in 2017. Casper van Dien stars as a renegade starfleet officer turned mercenary who helps hunt down a prince and princess kidnapped by aliens. Also with a short about telling the truth. These are funnier live, when you're in an audience with other people laughing, but I don't think it's a classic riff. As I said it's cool to see a contemporary bad movie for a change. 3/5.

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #912 on: June 21, 2019, 08:58:43 AM »

THE DEAD DON'T DIE (2019): Residents of a small town endure a plague of zombies caused when polar fracking knocks the earth off its axis in this self-aware zombie parody. Incredible cast: Bill Murray, Adam Driver, Tilda Swinton, Chloe Sevigny, Tom Waits, Danny Glover, Steve Buscemi, Selena Gomez, zombie Iggy Pop, and more. Clunky satire and inconsistently deployed self-referential humor, but it is fun to see the amazing cast get picked off by the undead. I hope Jim Jarmusch hasn't just entered the late Woody Allen phase of his career, where amazing actors line up for a chance to star in spotty material. 2.5/5.

Svengoolie 3

« Reply #913 on: June 23, 2019, 01:26:35 PM »

THE DEAD DON'T DIE (2019): Residents of a small town endure a plague of zombies caused when polar fracking knocks the earth off its axis in this self-aware zombie parody. Incredible cast: Bill Murray, Adam Driver, Tilda Swinton, Chloe Sevigny, Tom Waits, Danny Glover, Steve Buscemi, Selena Gomez, zombie Iggy Pop, and more. Clunky satire and inconsistently deployed self-referential humor, but it is fun to see the amazing cast get picked off by the undead. I hope Jim Jarmusch hasn't just entered the late Woody Allen phase of his career, where amazing actors line up for a chance to star in spotty material. 2.5/5.

How could anyone tell iggy pop was playing a zombie?

The doctor that circumcised Trump threw away the wrong piece.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #914 on: June 23, 2019, 02:17:25 PM »

How could anyone tell iggy pop was playing a zombie?

It was perfect casting, to be honest.

Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 78
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Recent theatrical viewings « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.