Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 04:41:02 AM
712925 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Recent theatrical viewings « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 78
Author Topic: Recent theatrical viewings  (Read 614111 times)
dean
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #420 on: April 25, 2012, 08:32:47 AM »

The Avengers:

A team of 'unique' heroes are assembled to defend us all from war.

This one pretty much nailed it.  The characters worked great together, bringing together multiple franchises and Mark Ruffalo in particular did a fantastic job as the third Hulk in three movies.  They even handled the differences in the 'Heroes' well.  There is one shot in the battle scene which flits from each main character doing kicking butt in their own unique ways which just flowed really well.

Loki's character wasn't as well defined as in the first one, but is always a stand out, Robert Downey Jnr spouts one liners and generally acts like a jerk [which is always good value] and even the secondary characters have some heartfelt moments. 

Overall I couldn't really complain about anything other than the whole 'we're going to war' premise, with the plot jumping from 'we're at peace' to 'we're at war' with little evidence to suggest it's actually going to happen, even though it does.

If you enjoyed the latest batch of Marvel films, you'll love this one, if you didn't, you probably wouldn't see this one anyways.

4/5 stars.

------------The password will be: Llanfairpwllgwyngyllgogerychwyrndrobwllllantysiliogogogoch
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #421 on: May 02, 2012, 11:34:28 AM »

THE KID WITH A BIKE (2011): A French boy tries to reunite with the father who abandoned him; a single hairdresser takes an interest in him.  Young Thomas Doret is excellent as the understandably troubled boy who craves love but instinctively sabotages his chances in this thoughtful heartstring-tugger. 4/5.

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #422 on: May 18, 2012, 02:17:57 PM »

THE DICTATOR (2012): A Saddam Hussein-like dictator (Sacha Baron Cohen) escapes an assassination attempt and tries to regain his position before his double can sign a new democratic constitution at a U.N. session. Nothing revolutionary, but solid laughs and you do have to admire the politically incorrect relish with which Cohen seeks to offend Arabs, Jews, Republicans, feminist organic co-op grocers, and anyone with a sense of good taste and propriety. 3/5.

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #423 on: May 23, 2012, 10:34:06 AM »

FOOTNOTE (2011): The story of two Professor Shkolniks: father Eliezer is a bitter Talmudic scholar whose life work can be reduced to one footnote in a major reference work, while son Uriel is a rising academic star who has outshone his father but remains loyal to the old man. It sounds dry, but there's surprisingly juicy drama (and comedy) about lifelong grudges, office politics, and the complex father/son dynamic inside the professorial premise. 4/5.

HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #424 on: May 23, 2012, 02:20:01 PM »

Dean~
I pretty much agree about Avengers. Loved it. Ruffalo was perfect as Banner/Hulk.

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
ChaosTheory

« Reply #425 on: June 09, 2012, 10:46:59 AM »

PROMETHEUS - A team of scientists travel to a distant planet looking for the origins of humanity, all hell breaks loose.  That's basically it. 
I loved this, I thought it was gorgeous-looking, well-cast and fun but the story is pretty muddled; a lot of people are going to hate it.

Through the darkness of future past
The magician longs to see
One chance opts between two worlds
Fire walk with me
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #426 on: June 11, 2012, 10:56:08 AM »

Tchoupitoulas (2012): Documentary following three boys who miss the ferry home and are stranded in New Orleans overnight. An abstract tribute to childhood wonder; nine year old William, a curious dreamer and budding poet, becomes more interesting than the carnival city and its street performers. 3/5.

Doggett
Bustin' makes me feel good !

I've seen things you people couldn't imagine...

« Reply #427 on: June 12, 2012, 02:21:35 PM »

The Avengers.

Theres a space cube that an alien wants. He takes it then gets caught, which is part of his plan, breaks free, unleashes as army from another dimension and a bunch of superhero types try to stop him.

The green angry one was funny.

3.5/5

If God exists, why did he make me an atheist? Thats His first mistake.
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #428 on: June 17, 2012, 09:04:51 PM »

For Father's Day, my 18 year old daughter and I went to see SNOW WHITE AND THE HUNTSMAN, which she has been desperate to watch for some time.  I was pleasantly surprised by how good this is!  The photography is gorgeous, the plot intriguing, the villains do some serious carpet chewing, and Kristen Steward is much less wooden than she is in the TWILIGHT films (which my OTHER daughter made me watch!).  This one is really worth the price of admission. the opening battle sequence, and the fairy forest scene, are visually amazing. Some of the best CGI I have ever seen.

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #429 on: July 04, 2012, 09:54:42 AM »

MOONRISE KINGDOM: A misfit scout runs away from camp to rendezvous with his emotionally troubled pen pal on a remote New England island; adults and the scout troop team up to hunt the couple down. Touching comedy about misfits in love, but you have to meet Wes Anderson halfway on his highly artificial deadpan style, where no one acts or talks quite like a real person. The ecclectic cast includes Edward Norton, Bill Murray, Frances Dormand, Bruce Willis, Tilda Swinton and Harvey Keitel. 4/5.

Pilgermann

« Reply #430 on: July 08, 2012, 01:08:42 AM »

They Live (1988) - Just got back from a midnight show.  I enjoy this movie more and more each time I see it.  It's pretty hilarious in spots, and downright tense in others, but it's just a ton of fun to watch, especially with an appreciative crowd.  There were moments where folks were laughing for apparently no reason but overall people were having a good time.  The famous fight scene got almost as many gasps as it did laughs.   Smile  I'd rank this a 9/10.

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #431 on: July 13, 2012, 12:00:26 PM »

SAFETY NOT GUARANTEED (2012): A depressed college student interning at a magazine finds a purpose when she begins investigating a man who has placed a personal ad looking for a time-traveling companion. When the growing relationship between the moody girl and the crazy guy gets hard to swallow, the supporting characters---her reprobate supervisor and a nerdy fellow intern---take up the dramedy slack; it's minor, but too humorous and sweet to dislike. 3/5.

Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #432 on: July 18, 2012, 10:29:49 AM »

TO ROME WITH LOVE: Four stories from Woody Allen set in Rome: a Roman citizen becomes famous for no reason, a young married couple is separated and tempted by other lovers, an architecht follows a younger version of himself through a romantic fling, and a retired opera director wants to make a mortician into a star tenor. There are no huge laughs (the opera phenom who can only sing in the shower comes the closest), but the stories are all well-written and charming enough to keep you watching. It's simple enough: if you're a Woody Allen fan you'll be satisfied, and if you're not this trifle won't change your mind. 3/5.

ChaosTheory

« Reply #433 on: July 20, 2012, 04:33:24 PM »

MOONRISE KINGDOM - the most Anderson any screen has ever held and the best movie I've seen this year by a wide margin. 

Through the darkness of future past
The magician longs to see
One chance opts between two worlds
Fire walk with me
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #434 on: July 25, 2012, 10:06:06 AM »

HEADHUNTERS (2011): An art thief who uses his position as a corporate headhunter as his cover thinks he's struck a gold mine when he meets a CEO who's perfect for the job he's shopping, who also happens to own an original Rubens---unfortunately for him, a murder complicates his big score and sends him on the run. Hollywood thrillers could learn a thing or two about implausible plot twists from this crazy but crowd-pleasing Norwegian thriller with dashes of black comedy. 3.5/5.

Pages: 1 ... 27 28 [29] 30 31 ... 78
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Recent theatrical viewings « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.