Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 02:56:37 PM
714481 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7743 Members
Latest Member: medikam
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  How the west was won (1962) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: How the west was won (1962)  (Read 3448 times)
Neville
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: February 10, 2009, 01:01:11 PM »

As I've mentioned a few other times in this board, I'm fascinated by old-school epic films. I'm perfectly aware that, for the most part, they're not very good movies, but I find the use of real extras and locations quite refreshing in these days of instantly computer generated crowds and landscapes, and they just reek boldness and ambition, which is something you rarely can get from your local blockbuster.

Anyway, this one is an almost three hour film made by MGM to show off their new ultra-widescreen format, the Cinerama. As you can see from the stills, its AR is almost 3x1, which makes for some sweeping vistas. Unluckily for MGM, it was also a very cumbersome format, the result of combining the output of three (!) different cameras. Vertical dividing lines can be seen in some shots, and some other unwanted effects like distortions or actors looking everywhere but the people they're speaking to are also present. No wonder the format was rapidly abandoned.

As for the movie itself, it's alright, but little else. It consists of several vignettes depicting members of the same family saga in different defining moments of American history, punctuated by sweeping vistas of whatever landscape is available. There's a narrator too, trying to tie the different stories together, but in the end the whole thing feels more like a Cinerama brochure than anything else, despite the multiple talents involved in front and behind the camera.

Still, it has its moments. The first chapter has Karl Malden as an overzealous pioneer, which he plays with gusto, and a wonderfully funny turn of James Stewart as a crusty trapper. If watching Jimmy Stewart telling his love interest, in his best southern drawl, that he plans to spent a whole month with prostitutes or him killing a bunch of river pirates a la John Rambo can't make you laugh, you're not a human being.

And in the second half of the movie George Peppard gets to shine as well. His aging makeup is less than convincing, but I liked how he expressed the different stages of his characters. Plus his chapter (and the movie) culminates in an exhilarating train robbery sequence that's just lots of riotous fun. If the rest of the whole thing was this fun, this would be a very different review.

« Last Edit: February 10, 2009, 01:06:35 PM by Neville » Logged

Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.
peter johnson

« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2009, 11:57:31 AM »

I saw this one in New York City on a real Cinerama screen 2 years after it was originally released -- I was in town for the 1964 World's Fair.  Also saw "It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World" on Cinerama, as well as "2001" a few years later.  Cinerama theatres were few & far between -- the only one in Virginia was actually across the border in Washington DC --

The thing I remember most about "West . . ." is the sweeping vistas -- the trains receeding into the distance/Monument Valley/the wild river rapids . . . yeah, it was a real thrill ride, and the ending with the choral voices all rising at once was thrilling in a way that my 8-year-old self didn't really comprehend.  I watched it again several times in the squished version for TV, but certainly not with the same impact.

peter johnson/denny damn i'm old . . .

I have no idea what this means.
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2009, 06:24:41 PM »

It's the cast. Probably the greatest cast of actors ever gathered together for a western. And here are some of them.

Rudy Acosta, Willis Bouchey, Walter Burke, Ken Curtis, Jay C. Flippen, Jack Lambert, Cliff Osmond, Chuck Robeson, Bryan Russell, Joe Sawyer, Harry Dean Stanton, Karl Swenson, and Lee Van Cleef.

And these are just some of those who appeared in the film, but never appeared in the cast credits. And you can make a darn fine western with just these alone.

And add the concluding shoot-out on board the train between the outlaws and the lawmen. (IMHO) one of the greatest shoot-outs of all time, western or no western.

And somewhere on this board there is a thread dedicated to the funniest screen deaths. I'd have to add the outlaw on the train, who is on top of the caboose, gets shot, falls off, and on the way down, takes out a giant cactus. Just ROTFL!

And read the paperback book, based on the movie, by Louis L'Amour. It goes into more detail about what happened to some of the minor characters in the film, and it also provides more background on some of the characters in the film.
Neville

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2009, 07:09:06 PM »

And add the concluding shoot-out on board the train between the outlaws and the lawmen. (IMHO) one of the greatest shoot-outs of all time, western or no western.

And somewhere on this board there is a thread dedicated to the funniest screen deaths. I'd have to add the outlaw on the train, who is on top of the caboose, gets shot, falls off, and on the way down, takes out a giant cactus. Just ROTFL!

You know, the final shootout and this particular death was one of the reasons that took me to watch the film after all these years. I had forgotten most of it (it's easily 20 years we're talking about), but I remember these two bits, and regarding the second, how awfully fake that cactus looked. It added to the hilarity.

P.S: Lee Van Cleef was in this one? Who is he playing? I didn't notice him.

Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.
trekgeezer

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2009, 06:41:15 PM »

Here's a link to the cast and crew page on IMDB: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0056085/fullcredits#cast

Wow! four directors including John Ford .

It should also be noted that a stunt man named Bob Morgan, husband to actress Yvonne De Carlo,  lost a leg in the shootout on the train. I believe he was standing in for George Peppard.

I can't remember the last time I saw this, but it may well be close to 20 years ago. 

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2009, 04:59:25 PM »

In the opening scene set on the river, Lee Van Cleef is one of the river pirates. He's not on screen for a long time, but he is instantly recognizable.

And yes, Bob Morgan was standing in for George Peppard during the scene set on the log car on the train. There was some sort of miscommunication and the logs on the car were released. At first, they didn't think he was going to make it, but he did even though he lost a leg because of the accident. He did say though, that having that artificial leg certainly improved his golf swing, when he played golf.
Hammock Rider

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2009, 11:44:05 AM »

Was this the one where Richard Widmark was trying to make it across the country with a big grandfather clock and Sally Field played a bratty horn dog teen?

Jumping Kings and Making Haste Ain't my Cup of Meat
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2009, 12:07:43 PM »

I thought this movie tried to cram too many people and events into the story.  The whole thing felt sort of watered down.  I haven't seen it for at least 20 years, so maybe it's time to give it another try.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
trekgeezer

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2009, 07:59:47 AM »

Was this the one where Richard Widmark was trying to make it across the country with a big grandfather clock and Sally Field played a bratty horn dog teen?

Actually the one you're referring to is The Way West

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
Hammock Rider

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2009, 11:10:39 AM »

Thanks Trekgeezer Thumbup

Jumping Kings and Making Haste Ain't my Cup of Meat
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2009, 05:16:03 PM »

Wow. I had forgotten all about this movie untill I saw the thread. The last time I saw this was probaly in the mid 70's. My Dad loved John Wayne movies.He would pull out a sixpack of Pabst and watch his westerns when they were on. That and war movies.

I just went to IMDB and checked out the cast....DAM! Every cowboy actor of the time is in this movie!!!
Thanks Neville...now I gotta hunt the flea market for this one...!  TeddyR

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  How the west was won (1962) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.