Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 06:48:31 PM
714454 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Help Me Name My Business « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Help Me Name My Business  (Read 4660 times)
Ash
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« on: March 01, 2009, 06:44:13 PM »

It won't be long before I finish my degree in Business.  I've still got about a year before that happens, but it'll arrive quick and I want to be prepared.

In the Entreprenuerial class that I'm currently enrolled in, the instructor is already asking me if I've decided on a name for my business.
I have to present my idea to him as part of my final grade and so far, I'm stumped on coming up with a good name.
My business will be a hat and headgear store. 
Kind of like Lids.com.  Check that site out to get an idea of what my store will be like.  My store will obviously be different and sell somewhat different products, but it will be a hat and headgear store just the same.

I've come up with a couple of names, but they sound kind of lame.
Most of them involve the use of my last name, which is Davis.  Most of my family members own their own businesses and all of them use their last names in the title.
So far I've come up with:
The Davis Hat Emporium
Davis Hats & Headgear

See what I mean?
Lame.   Thumbdown

I need a great business name that jumps out at the customer and grabs their attention.
It can't be a name previously taken by another business.
It needs to be a name that reflects what I sell, yet still be original.

Got any suggestions?
Doggett
Bustin' makes me feel good !

I've seen things you people couldn't imagine...

« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2009, 07:13:13 PM »

Shopping for Head

If God exists, why did he make me an atheist? Thats His first mistake.
Ash

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2009, 07:38:35 PM »

Shopping for Head

Ha!  That's hilarious!   BounceGiggle

Doggett, at first, the only thing I could think of when I saw your business name was the sexual overtone it implies.
If only fellatio wasn't referred to as "head"!

Nice try, though.   Thumbup

Menaaard!!!
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2009, 07:46:20 PM »

Shopping for Head

I love that! Thumbup

It's memorable and works.

Kind of goes along with what I was thinking, in the subtext: Davis on Top  TeddyR
Doggett
Bustin' makes me feel good !

I've seen things you people couldn't imagine...

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2009, 08:04:10 PM »

I need a great business name that jumps out at the customer and grabs their attention.
It can't be a name previously taken by another business.
It needs to be a name that reflects what I sell, yet still be original.

Got any suggestions?

1. My title grabs peoples attention.
2. I doubt there are many places called it...I'm hoping... Bluesad
3. You sell hats for your head, so I have that covered.

I don't see what's wrong, I think you should try it.
There are hairdressers called curl up and dye, so why not ?

If God exists, why did he make me an atheist? Thats His first mistake.
Menaaard!!!
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2009, 08:21:32 PM »

There are hairdressers called curl up and dye, so why not ?

Successful? Question

A name like Curl Up and Dye is certainly memorable; and if the business is successful, then it can become memorable. The name alone, though, is not something I would have suggested for a hairdresser.

Remember that Ash is being graded for this. Risky business names because they are cute, regardless of how memorable they may be, may not get a good mark simply for the risk factor; despite how creative it is, there is still an association to consider which may be off-putting to potential clients. Of course, if you are targeting clients who would find such an association in the name as an attraction, then you are fine.

I think Shopping for Head is great, and would be great for an online store or a shop in a college community, but keep in mind that Ash has to present this to a professor who knows better about how to market a name better than we do; and Ash has to, in my estimation, consider risk and association in his business name.
Ash

« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2009, 08:46:55 PM »

Good points Menard.   Thumbup

Keep in mind that I really am going to start up a business after I get my college degree.  This isn't just for class.
Remember, I'm going to open up a retail store here in my city.  The population here is middle to upper middle class and the name cannot be offensive in any way, shape or form.

While I do like the suggestion for Shops For Head, it simply isn't appropriate.
The first thing I thought of when I read it was "blowjob!".
And if I thought that, others will think it, too.

I need help coming up with a memorable business name that is legitimate and respectable.

While we're at it, I want to insert a disclaimer here that says that if I do use a name that one of you created, you did it of your own free will and agree that I am not legally liable to you for anything.

Don't let that scare you away.
Anyone have some more suggestions?

« Last Edit: March 01, 2009, 08:53:36 PM by Ash » Logged
Menaaard!!!
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2009, 09:29:27 PM »

Keep in mind that I really am going to start up a business after I get my college degree.  This isn't just for class.
Remember, I'm going to open up a retail store here in my city.  The population here is middle to upper middle class and the name cannot be offensive in any way, shape or form.

Well, now, that kind of changes things a bit.

My natural assumption was that you would be selling baseball caps; though that may still be a line for you, with a middle to upper middle class clientele (especially upper middle class), you are probably looking at a variety of headgear from baseball caps to formal wear.

Unless you are in a big Nascar fanbase selling baseball caps, you've got a tough hill to climb.

One of your considerations in names, IMO, is going to be location. Naturally a mall or large, crowded shopping center are going to be the best choices as you are probably looking at tangent traffic rather than directed.

Though I think my suggestion of Davis on Top might work for online or a small store with an online presence, it is not going to say anything across a crowded mall or shopping center about you or what you do.

Another thing is the association and appeal of each word in the name. Head is going to be difficult to work in, though it can be done, without negative associations without careful use. Davis Head Covers would be a relatively safe association (except for perhaps people with dirty minds like myself who would think 'condoms'), except that it does not speak to people in an upper middle class environment who are likely to not refer to hats as 'head covers'.

Pretty much what you are looking for, again in my estimation, is something someone can see across a mall or shopping center that not only tells them what it is, but makes them want to check it out. Of course, there is the caveat that you cannot make someone want a hat if they don't want one.

This may be a case where you may not want to use your name, but use a name, someone else's name, which may have a bigger appeal.

Something like Costello's Hat Shop or maybe even Hats on First; associating, though old as it is, with Abbott and Costello, their Who's on First routine, and their also famous Susquehanna Hat Company routine.

Of course, the above could be way off base (pun intended).
CaptnTripps
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2009, 10:17:49 PM »

Kick Ash Hats Smile

"Look at this! It bit me, i've been savaged"
meQal
Some Strange Guy They Let In By Mistake

Dude! Flush Next Time!!!

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2009, 10:47:29 PM »

How about Ash Hat?

Movie Trivia Fact : O.J. Simpson was considered for the title role in The Terminator, but producers feared he was \"too nice\" to be taken seriously as a cold-blooded killer.<br />Isn\'t hindsight great.<br />A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it. - Agent Kay - Men in Black
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2009, 05:26:54 AM »

How about "Davis Rules", Ash? I like the sound of that. Smile

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2009, 06:47:51 AM »

Ash the Cat in a Hat?  TeddyR

Ok...seriously...hmmm...Heads Up? Gear Head? Skullduggery?
 Question

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Derf
Crazy Rabbity Thingy
Proofreader

Lagomorphs: menace or underutilized resource?

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2009, 09:26:17 AM »

The Lids.com site seems to be just various caps. Is that what you plan, Ash? Will your store be mainly a sports cap shop, or do you plan to include more formal hats as well (I have no idea about fashions in Iowa, so I have no idea if there is a market for "real" hats). If you plan to run the gamut of hat and cap offerings, something classic like Davis Milliners or The Milliners Shop might work. If you plan to keep it informal (i.e., mostly sports wear/caps), you might go for a more humorous name like The Mad Hatter. Other possibilities include neutral names like J.D.'s Toppers or Davis Sports Caps. Could you provide a few more details about your plans?

I almost suggested Ash Hats as a joke, but meQal beat me to it  BounceGiggle.

"They tap dance not, neither do they fart." --Greensleeves, on the Fig Men of the Imagination, in "Twice Upon a Time."
zombie no.one

Oookaay...

« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2009, 10:30:23 AM »

The Davis Family Trademark Gentlemens' Headgear Emporium Ltd.

The Mandela Effect is a Mandela Effect
Menaaard!!!
« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2009, 10:42:31 AM »

...I have no idea about fashions in Iowa...

Neither do the people who live there.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Help Me Name My Business « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.