Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 03:48:37 AM
712925 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Sometimes I wish I'd been born earlier. « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Sometimes I wish I'd been born earlier.  (Read 4578 times)
akiratubo
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: February 27, 2009, 11:45:11 PM »

So I could have really enjoyed music like this first hand.

Small | Large

Small | Large

Nothing like that these days, and that's a damned shame.

Kneel before Dr. Hell, the ruler of this world!
CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2009, 01:57:19 AM »

Didn't you just enjoy them? I know what you mean.

I remember when they first came out in 1978 I was 15 and I have them both on vinyl .. you know those big black disc that scratch real easy. the 1970's had it's charm but I real don't what them back I got my drivers license at the height of the oil embargo, gas lines, high unemployment (higher than it is now), Jimmy Carter .... no I'll pass, but it's looking like we getting them again anyway.

However, going to real KISS concerts when no one knew what they looked like, Alice Cooper, Pink Floyd, Bowie, Aerosmith etc etc ... a entirely different world then. Then again, no internet, 3 channels on the TV, transistor radios, most TV went off the air at about midnight, polyester suits, let it be hair, I could go on but I'm getting flashbacks. 

Menaaard!!!
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2009, 05:58:49 AM »

Ah miss the 70s.

The greatest music and the greatest supergroups (Jim Croce, Harry Chapin, Lynyrd Skynyrd, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, and on and on).

Fashion, as screwed up as it often was, was a statement, not a brand name or an animal on your shirt.

Television had the movie of the week, the Wednesday night movie, the Thursday night movie, movies at midday, the late movie, the late late movie; lots of movies, and lacked the reality shows (unless you want to count Battle of the Stars), real estate schemes, and nothing but talk shows, infomercials, and news programs after the news.

Weekends didn't suck on TV as there was plenty to watch; not just sports, infomercials, and news shows.

Saturday Night Live, when it was actually funny; it hasn't been since.

Let's not forget any of a number of gadgets, mostly Ronco, which could improve our lives by being able to fish right out of our pockets to a better way to clean those record albums.

Muscle cars. The coolest damn cars to ever hit the road.

Pyramid energy.

CB radio mania.

Spencer Gifts (that was when it was really cool).

Most any fad could have a mania about it. Apparently putting a rock in a box and calling it a pet could work (yeah, there are some things I don't miss; and who came out with the Pet Turd version?).

Pam Grier!!!

Pam Grier!!!

Pam Grier!!!

Did I mention Pam Grier? Twirling

Of course, there were the downsides as well: disco (but the divas were hot); leisure suits; the gas crisis; the Nixon/Ford years (amazing how some keep mentioning Jimmy Carter and completely gloss over the first 7 years of that decade Lookingup).

I could go on and on, but I'll leave it at that.

Oh..., Pam Grier; or did I mention her already? TeddyR
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2009, 07:56:01 AM »

The  70's were weird.  Movies about Satan and the occult were big business.The EXORCIST spawned some incredible exploitation films.... I saw RACE WITH THE DEVIL,PSYCHIC KILLER,CATHY'S CURSE,the DEVIL'S RAIN at the movie theater. Usually double billed with bizzare obscurities like HOMEBODIES,SHADOW of the HAWK,or KISS of the TARANTULA.

And if you missed the movies....you could always read about them in your pick of cool monster mags like Famous Monsters, Castle of Frankenstein,and the Monster Times. Or just catch them a year later on late night TV or on Saterday afternoons on a backwater UHF channel. That's were I saw junk like DRACULA vs.FRANKENSTIEN,FRANKENSTEINS BLOODY TERROR and Bill Shatner's insane IMPULSE!,to name a few. Road movies like TWO LANE BLACK TOP,VANISHING POINT,DIRTY LARRY,CRAZY MARY;revenge of nature films-FROGS,GRIZZLY,PIRANHA,RATTLERS: disaster movies-big stars like Steve McQueen,Charleton Heston,and Shelly Winters either being burned,drowned or falling to their deaths in EARTHQUAKE!,the POSIDEN ADVENTURE,the TOWERING INFERNO,and the AIRPORT series;...and,of course the PLANET of the APES series,Harryhausen fantastic films,indepent horrors by Wes Craven,Tobe Hooper,George Romero,Al Adamson,William Girdler;Blaxploitation (Pam is MINE,Menard!!! MINE!!!),Kung Fu fliks,....cripes...I could go on forever.
  Of course their was a downside. The begining of the end of the drive-in and the independents came with STAR WARS. Spielberg and the Blockbuster killed it. Basterd.

trailer for DIRTY MARY,CRAZY LARRY (1974)

Small | Large

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
trekgeezer

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2009, 01:52:39 PM »

In movies the 70's was the decade of the director. Movies got made without much crap from the studio.  Can you imagine someone trying to get a movie like Blazing Saddles released today?   Most of the movies from then have that indy film atmosphere about them.

I missed a lot of stuff during the 70's becaurse from 1973 to 1977 I was in the Navy and stationed in Scotland and then in the Aleutians.

It was a lot simpler back then for sure.  Like Menard I miss them damn late show movies.  there's nothing on now in the wee hours but  informercials and reruns of tabloid shows like Springer.

You did miss a lot of cool stuff akiraturbo.

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
meQal
Some Strange Guy They Let In By Mistake

Dude! Flush Next Time!!!

« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2009, 03:49:13 PM »

Mostly I remember the cartoons of the 70's. It was when you could see Star Trek, Tarzan, Batman, and the Bugs Bunny/Road Runner Show on Saturday mornings and the only time a live actor was on a show on Saturday mornings was when Bill Cosby was introducing an episode of Fat Albert. No one whined about how the cartoons needed to be politically correct or violence removed. If Daffy got his beak shot off or the Coyote slammed into a cliff while riding a giant rocket, they left it in.
Also you could find at least one music show for almost every taste. From American Bandstand to Soul Train, to Hee Haw, to Lawrence Welk, almost every major music genre was covered with it's own show. Also the variety shows that came on often offered a cross section of what was popular to almost everyone.
The only reality TV was game show and the evening news. You didn't have to watch talentless singers or shallow people backstabbing each other while networks called it entertainment.
You got mail ment the postman had ran, a text message was something printed on a sign, and only people who had a cell number were those serving time in prison.

Movie Trivia Fact : O.J. Simpson was considered for the title role in The Terminator, but producers feared he was \"too nice\" to be taken seriously as a cold-blooded killer.<br />Isn\'t hindsight great.<br />A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it. - Agent Kay - Men in Black
schmendrik
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2009, 06:04:14 PM »

In movies the 70's was the decade of the director. Movies got made without much crap from the studio.  Can you imagine someone trying to get a movie like Blazing Saddles released today? 

Actually it wasn't so easy then either. Brooks did a screening for the studio bigwigs and they just sat there stony-faced.

Then on an inspiration he rounded up the secretaries and regular working folks for another screening and they laughed their asses off. He got the studio support for distribution after that.

RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2009, 07:41:07 AM »

Mostly I remember the cartoons of the 70's. It was when you could see Star Trek, Tarzan, Batman, and the Bugs Bunny/Road Runner Show on Saturday mornings and the only time a live actor was on a show on Saturday mornings was when Bill Cosby was introducing an episode of Fat Albert. No one whined about how the cartoons needed to be politically correct or violence removed. If Daffy got his beak shot off or the Coyote slammed into a cliff while riding a giant rocket, they left it in.
Also you could find at least one music show for almost every taste. From American Bandstand to Soul Train, to Hee Haw, to Lawrence Welk, almost every major music genre was covered with it's own show. Also the variety shows that came on often offered a cross section of what was popular to almost everyone.
The only reality TV was game show and the evening news. You didn't have to watch talentless singers or shallow people backstabbing each other while networks called it entertainment.
You got mail ment the postman had ran, a text message was something printed on a sign, and only people who had a cell number were those serving time in prison.

Actually...seventies Saterday morning fare had it's share of live action programs...do you recall...

SHAZAM!
Small | Large

Les Tremayne,who played Mentor was a vet of such B-movie favorites as the SLIME PEOPLE,ANGREY RED PLANET,MONSTER of PIEDRAS BLANCAS,and MONILITH MONSTERS!

Also there was stuff like ISIS,FAR OUT SPACE NUTS,SIGMUND AND THE SEA MONSTER,HR PUFNSTUFF,DUST"YS TRAIL,the LOST SAUCER,The HUDSON BROTHERS RAZZLE DAZZLE SHOW,and lots,lots of others almost too unbearably crappy to bear recalling!

Oh...and LAND of the LOST...!

Small | Large

Wesley Eure,who played Will...was of course the nut job nephew of Cameron Mitchell in the TOOLBOX MURDERS (1978)!

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
meQal
Some Strange Guy They Let In By Mistake

Dude! Flush Next Time!!!

« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2009, 09:28:05 AM »

Actually...seventies Saterday morning fare had it's share of live action programs...do you recall...

SHAZAM!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qWfDh7FoxYY
Les Tremayne,who played Mentor was a vet of such B-movie favorites as the SLIME PEOPLE,ANGREY RED PLANET,MONSTER of PIEDRAS BLANCAS,and MONILITH MONSTERS!

Also there was stuff like ISIS,FAR OUT SPACE NUTS,SIGMUND AND THE SEA MONSTER,HR PUFNSTUFF,DUST"YS TRAIL,the LOST SAUCER,The HUDSON BROTHERS RAZZLE DAZZLE SHOW,and lots,lots of others almost too unbearably crappy to bear recalling!

Oh...and LAND of the LOST...!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jiou5SZMzs

Wesley Eure,who played Will...was of course the nut job nephew of Cameron Mitchell in the TOOLBOX MURDERS (1978)!

You evil, evil man. Reminding me of such horrible shows. BounceGiggle I have been trying to forget they ever existed.
Actually there was a lot more than those, I also remember the various Sid and Marty Krofft shows that came on then. I still rememebr Electra Woman and Dyna Girl, Dr. Shrinker, and Sigmund the Sea Monster. There was also Big John Little John which was about some guy that found the Fountain of Youth with odd results and Bigfoot and Wild Boy which was well odd.
And since you mentioned Shazam, my wife reminded me of the companion show that aired with it called Isis.

Movie Trivia Fact : O.J. Simpson was considered for the title role in The Terminator, but producers feared he was \"too nice\" to be taken seriously as a cold-blooded killer.<br />Isn\'t hindsight great.<br />A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it. - Agent Kay - Men in Black
Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2009, 10:15:05 AM »

I was born in 1974 and remember bits and pieces of the 70's.  Mostly the late 70's as I would've been around 5 years old in 1979.
And yes, I do remember watching all the cool Saturday morning cartoons!
The Superfriends and Scooby-Doo were required viewing back then.
CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2009, 11:22:26 AM »

The 1970's ...
You know back what they taught you things you needed to know ...

Small | Large

Small | Large

Small | Large

Small | Large

The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2009, 09:00:32 AM »

I remember back in the 1970s watching Don Kirshner's Rock Concert and Wolfman Jack's Midnight Special on late-night television.  I believe these shows were on either Friday or Saturday night.  I clearly remember seeing MOLLY HATCHET, THE POLICE and other great concert performances.  Now all you get is MTV and VH1.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Sometimes I wish I'd been born earlier. « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.