Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 07:04:47 PM
714383 Posts in 53096 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Let The Right One In (2008) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Let The Right One In (2008)  (Read 3667 times)
BTM
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« on: March 17, 2009, 12:49:11 PM »

I know, the title makes it sound like a love story, and I suppose you could say it is, in a sense.

The film takes place in a village in Sweden.  Twelve year old Oskar is a lonely boy, who's the constant target of bullying at his school.  Soon a new girl, Eli moves next door in his apartment complex and they slowly become friends.  Oskar soon discovers that his new friend is a vampire.

Dunno if I can praise this film enough, it's beautifully shot and directed, with two excellent performances by the young leads.  Although the supernatural is part of the story, the main focus of the film is on the relationship between Oskar and Eli.

Just read that there's going to be an English remake of the film (cause, you know, you can't have a successful foreign film without someone overseas trying to recreate it), but I recommend you see this one first, as it's a very good film.

That is all!  :)
« Last Edit: March 22, 2009, 12:15:09 PM by BTM » Logged

"Some people mature, some just get older." -Andrew Vachss
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2009, 03:53:30 PM »

I have wanted to see this movie ever since I first heard about it a month or two ago.  The English remake will surely be crap, so I'll probably avoid it.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
BTM

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2009, 07:44:20 PM »

I have wanted to see this movie ever since I first heard about it a month or two ago.  The English remake will surely be crap, so I'll probably avoid it.

Well, it's on Netflix, if you have that. 

Oh, I didn't know this earlier, but the movie is also based on a book of the same title (also called Let Me In when it was first published).  Told the book goes into more background detail on the various characters as is often the case, the movie had to truncate a lot of information for the sake of its running time.

"Some people mature, some just get older." -Andrew Vachss
Jim H

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2009, 03:09:02 PM »

Thought it was quite good.  Wonderfully acted, great storytelling.  There's also more gore than I expected - not to say it's really gore, but what is there is very effective.  Just very nice, and shot in a sort of old fashioned kind of way - lots of longer takes.  Very nice.
Torgo

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2009, 03:05:21 AM »

I picked this up a couple of days ago. I haven't had a chance to watch it yet though.  I'll probably get around to it this weekend and then I'll post some thoughts about it.

"There is no way out of here. It'll be dark soon. There is no way out of here."
peter johnson

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2009, 11:33:53 AM »

The wife and I saw it a few days ago -- Brrr!  That thing sticks with you!  I want to talk about it , but don't want to do the spoiler thing, so if you haven't seen it & read this far, STOP!!

One thing that occurred to me while watching it:  I was very confused at first as to the role of the older fellow taking care of Eli at the beginning of the film, but then it struck me midway through:  "Oh, my God!!  He used to be what Oskar is now!!  Her playdate that fell for her!!!"  This was confirmed by the final scene, where you see Oskar and Eli running away together.  Oskar will come to a horrible end just like the earlier man did.  That made the film all the more chilling to us.  It also makes sense of the puzzling scene wherein the older guy tells Eli he doesn't want her seeing Oskar -- He's jealous.

The sequence where the bully's older brother is eviscerated at the swimming pool & you see his head floating down underwater is one of the scariest deaths I've ever seen in a film.

We loved the minimal use of CGI for the cat-attack sequence & the highly feral vampire attacks of Eli.

One thing that still bothers me/puzzles me about the film was the highly public way in which her helper is killing people.  I mean, hanging people up on well-lit public walkways, with visible cars in the background??  And that bit in the locker room -- man, why so public?  It is as if he's trying to get caught so he can leave his life, which he ultimately does.

peter johnson/denny crane

I have no idea what this means.
Torgo

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2009, 02:52:05 AM »

***1/2 out of 4.  Wow. This is one film that will stick with you long after you watch it.  Highly original and stunning visually, almost like if Stanley Kubrick had directed a vampire movie.  The movie is extremely slow moving though which some folks might view as a negative but I loved the methodical pacing.  There's only a couple of areas where they maybe could have tightened it up a bit. SEE THIS FILM!

"There is no way out of here. It'll be dark soon. There is no way out of here."
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2009, 10:37:11 AM »

Is this the movie that has the theme song that goes:

"You let the right one in, you let the right one out
You let the right one in, and you shake it all about,
You do the hokey-pokey . . ."

??????

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
peter johnson

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2009, 10:38:39 AM »

Burg -- different picture -- You're thinking of "Gumby:  The Psycho Stalker" --

peter johnson/denny crane

I have no idea what this means.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Good Movies  |  Let The Right One In (2008) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.