Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 03:45:08 AM
714544 Posts in 53100 Topics by 7747 Members
Latest Member: LeighPalmo
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Which was your first bad movie? « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Which was your first bad movie?  (Read 5023 times)
Neville
« on: March 21, 2002, 06:45:23 AM »

Now I think about it, I was quite lucky. Being the grandson of the people who managed the only cinema screen in a small village I managed to watch some bad movies, but I was too young to remember (3-4 years old). Later I saw two bad movies, which were the very first movies I saw and I remember the title. First I managed to sneak into a classroom (my mum was a teacher) were the students were shown "King Kong vs Godzilla" (why, I have never understood) and later, when I was 9-10 years old I convinced the above mentioned mother to watch "Firewalker" in a local cinema. Just to think I believed those movies to be the best in the world... I want my innocence back!
Flangepart
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2002, 12:44:52 PM »

Man...i think you and i have something in common! I remember going to the drive in with my dad to see K.K. vs. G. Mom never liked the "Weird" stuff, so dad and i would go watch the monster movies. I remember most the scene where Godzilla attacks the army base. The melting tanks were so cool then! Yeap, gotta thank the old man for starting me on my kaiji watching ways.
C. Hill
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2002, 01:02:35 PM »

I have no idea, I've been watching these things all my life.  Seriously, I vaguely remember watching Godzilla movies when I was like 2.  I was brought up on this stuff, Freddy Krueger was practically my hero when I was a kid (hey shut up, it was the 80's).  I wonder if this has anything to do with the fact that I'm a foaming-at-the-mouth psychopath now?  Seriously though, my parents were cool with all that, they made sure that I understood that they were just movies and that's all I ever looked at them as.  And now that I'm almost 22 years old my parents are baffled at my love for b-movies.  Hmmmmm...
Jay O'Connor
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2002, 01:06:05 PM »

I can remember seeing such greats as Message From Space, Battle Beyond The Stars, and Laserblast  as a very young child.  I don't know what came first
Chadzilla
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2002, 02:27:58 PM »

I remember seeing KKvG on the big screen, as well as the first Batman movie (the one based on the TV series).  But it was Orca, The Killer Whale (1977) that gave me the first, sweet tickles of badmovie amour, and it was Irwin Allen's Production of The Swarm (1978) a year later (and it was my birthday movie to boot) that I fell madly, passionately in love with.  To this very day The Swarm remains my favorite bad movie all time.
Cullen
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2002, 02:48:43 PM »

I've been watching horror movies since I was a kid, and my true first bad one is no doubt lost to the Mist of Time.  The movie I credit, however, is "Yog, Monster from Space."

The first movie to actually cause me physical pain was "R.O.T.O.R"  (which is written and direct by a Cullen; oh the SHAME!)

The first movie I actively hated was "Student Bodies."  It was replaced, in rapid succession, by "Carnosaur,"  "Carnosaur 2", then, finally "Scary Movie."  I don't ever want to hate a movie more than "Scary Movie."  I might combust if I do.
Mofo Rising
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2002, 04:10:41 PM »

Cullen wrote:
>
>
> The first movie I actively hated was "Student Bodies."

Really?  STUDENT BODIES is one of my favorite movies.  I enjoy it because it's so stupid.

But I'd also have to say I've been watching genre flicks all my life.  I clearly remember enjoying YOR, THE WARRIOR FROM THE FUTURE as a very small child.  And my dad, being a huge sci-fi/kung-fu fan always took us to watch the latest action pics, like THE RUNNING MAN.  (Of course I remember seeing PLATOON with my mom when I was like ten.  Not much for shielding their children's eyes, my parents.  I still turned out relatively normal.)

The first horror movie I really remember seeing was CHILDREN OF THE CORN.  Scared the hell out of me, and I still enjoy it today.  Not the sequels though.  I watched a lot of horror films through to my teenage years.

Sadly, I can't remember my first experience with the "so bad it's good" phenomenon.  Probably sometime during middle school.
systemcr4sh
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2002, 04:31:21 PM »

Student bodies is great! Scary movie is BAAAD! WORST MOVIE(S) EVER!

I can't remember the first bad movie I saw....

I remember being scared of all the movie boxes when we went to the movie store (Some of which I remember are: Return of the evil dead 2 [that fog with the eyes and mouth scared me], Prince of Darkness [simililar 'fog' material or something], phsyco I/II/III, and many others) and then in 1997 I saw the frighteners and saw that horror movies aren't allways scary but funny, then I got some godzilla movie (Vs Megalon!!) and enjoyed the badness, and from then on its been 3 movies a weekend!

-Dan
Pancho
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2002, 04:39:38 PM »

I've grown up with Freddy and Jason since i was born in the 80's and by the time i was six i think i'd seen every one of both series that had been released up to that point.  My first so bad it's good was the kung fu classic Crippled Masters.  That movie still brings back fuzzy memories.........
Cullen
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2002, 05:21:57 PM »

I really see no diffrence between the two, but in the same way I can't see that much diffrence between most slasher movies.

A small comparrison between the two, from my perspective:

* Both movies take shots at the slasher sub-genre, an easy mark if there ever was one.  Both believe they are above the material, when in truth, they're about at the same level.

*  They both use the "Airplane" style of humor which, when it fails, causes small animals to burst into flames.  Plus, to my knowledge, not a single horror parody using "Airplane" humor works.  Think about it.  There's "Repossesed" and "Transylvania Twist" to back me up on this.

* I'll admit to laughing at "Scary Movie."  I found some humor there, though it says too damn much about my tastes.  "Student Bodies"  went on and on, without anything tickling me.

(In fairness, I did watch "Student Bodies"  on cable, so it might have lost something.  What, I can't imagine.)

* Between moments of sick humor and ABSOLUTELY STUPID ROUTINES, "Scary Movie" lifted HUGE chunks out of "Scream."  Whole damn scenes.  "Student Bodies," while dull, was at least original to itself.

* Both had pointlessly cruel endings, desplaying the creators' utter contempt for their characters.  I'm sorry, but I don't care for that in slasher films.  It adds nothing and isn't funny.  Why the hell would you put that in there?

In the end, however, is that, for me, "Student Bodies" has a growing sense of apathy towards it, while I hate "Scary Movie" the more I think about it.  Which is really funny, considering my third point.
StatCat
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2002, 05:22:55 PM »

Probably children shouldn't play with dead things which use to come on tv sometimes late at night when I was a kid.
AndyC
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2002, 06:07:16 PM »

I've also been watching cheesy movies all my life (30 years). I have early memories of watching Godzilla flicks and 70s disaster movies (Earthquake, Towering Inferno, Airport) with my family.

The thing that occurred to me, however, is that the movies I watched weren't considered cheesy at the time. This is true of many of the video releases of the 80s. My friends and I thought they were cool. Having one close friend with a dad who was into gadgets, we all went to his house to watch rentals on their state-of-the-art top-loading machine. It came with a home movie camera, as I recall. The whole massive contraption was worn with a shoulder strap and the camera connected to it with a cable. Anyway, I digress.

We loved action, comedy and sci-fi, and we devoured anything we could get - Weird Science, Battle Beyond the Stars, Kingdom of the Spiders, Barbarella. This guy also had the pay channels - all three of them. Ah, the 80s. It was all so new then.

I suppose my first introduction to the so-bad-its-good idea came from City TV, back when it was the independent Toronto station that dared to be different. It has since turned into a media empire that includes several specialty movie channels. Anyway, in the early 80s, City had a Sunday afternoon feature called "Not So Great Movies," that featured such classics as Plan 9, Creeping Terror, early 70s Godzilla. When Schwarzenegger's career took off, they dug up Hercules in New York. It was great.
haze
« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2002, 06:51:06 PM »

Yeah when I was a wee 6 watching Alien 3. When I was a small 2 or 3 my mom let me watch Hellraiser movies. A Nightmare on Elm street is by far my favorite movie as is the third and seventh movies in the series. Freddy is the first thing to have sucessfully scared me. After Halloween, Hellraiser, Friday the 13th, Dawn of the Dead, and of course the almost scary (because the thing was just that long) The Stand. Freddy scared me less than a month ago and I am not ashamed to say he scared me. At 16 I thought nothing would ever do it; but A Nightmare on Elm street revived my faith in popular horror. The Carnosaur trilogy and the Puppet master series were also earlier viewings of mine.
AndyC
« Reply #13 on: March 21, 2002, 07:46:12 PM »

> I remember being scared of all the movie boxes when we went
> to the movie store

Yeah, I was the same way. As a kid, the advertising campaigns were enough to scare me. It had more to do with what I thought was in the movie than what actually was in it. By the time I was in high school, I'd watched a few, and seen that they were good, and pretty soon I was going through the whole horror section.

I did watch a couple before that time. Poltergeist and Halloween spring to mind. I enjoyed them, but it still took a while.
Chadzilla
« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2002, 07:53:57 PM »

I flat out refused to see It's Alive (Cohen's) and Beyond the Door 1 and 2 because the ads for those things creeped me out so badly.
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Which was your first bad movie? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.