Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 11:17:05 PM
712920 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  Ghosts of Mars « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Ghosts of Mars  (Read 29625 times)
Andrew
Administrator
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I know where my towel is.

« on: March 21, 2009, 01:58:44 PM »

My final Martian Movie Madness review is John Carpenter's terrible adaptation of "Assault on Precinct 13."  Natasha Henstridge and Ice Cube battle body-piercing Uruk-Hai punk mimes on Mars.

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2009, 04:08:34 PM »

Heh!  Good one!    Thumbup
I'd been looking foward to this review for awhile.

Yes, I actually paid to see this in the theater back in 2001.  I also dragged along my girlfriend at the time and subjected her to it.
As we were walking out of the theater, I seem to remember her saying something like, "That movie was retarded!" and a woman in front of us overheard her, turned around and said, "Yeah it was!"
For some reason, I actually liked it...and still like it for how cheesy it is in spots.

« Last Edit: March 21, 2009, 04:12:00 PM by Ash » Logged
Andrew
Administrator

I know where my towel is.

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2009, 07:00:09 PM »

For some reason, I actually liked it...and still like it for how cheesy it is in spots.

Ash, if you have not seen it, check out Carpenter's original "Assault on Precinct 13."  It's the same story, but I think it is heads and tails above "Ghosts of Mars." 

Andrew Borntreger
Badmovies.org
bryan
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2009, 10:07:52 AM »

Yeeks, someone else who liked it.  I think that pushes the number of people I know that like "Ghosts" up to, er, 4.  "Assault" was great. Tarantino should not have made a remake.  At least they are not remaking "The Thing", oh wait.  Crap.
Pilgermann

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2009, 12:32:38 PM »

I'm also guilty of enjoying this one...yet I feel no guilt!

Jack Kain
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2009, 01:12:23 PM »

Yeeks, someone else who liked it.  I think that pushes the number of people I know that like "Ghosts" up to, er, 4.  "Assault" was great. Tarantino should not have made a remake.  At least they are not remaking "The Thing", oh wait.  Crap.
Well, according to imdb, it's a prequel to the original. It could be good.

Though we will know ahead of time that everyone but one character who can fly a helicopter, someone else, and a dog will die horribly. At least in that movie. Still, potential, if that's the way they go with it.

I'm also a bit of a fan of Ghosts. It's so TERRIBLY cheesy! I also find it amusing that it's one of the few movies that Jason Statam is in where he does not 1) drive a car and 2) kick someone's ass via a ridiculous martial art's sequence.
Daft Phully
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2009, 03:20:33 PM »

Any genre films with Clea DuVall in them are ok. in my booklet.
Earthbound_X
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2009, 05:01:58 PM »

Egh...I remember this piece of crap of a movie.

I remember at the end of the movie, Ice Cube looks at the camera as to say "Damn we're badass"

No you're not.
bryan
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2009, 09:32:13 PM »

Jack- you're right, I forgot.  Rumors are that "The Thing" sequel/prequel will be based on the Norwegian base.  And I totally forgot that was Jason Statam, this was before all his hyperkinetic movies.  I also agree with Daft about Clea Duvall, very cute.
Kyo
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2009, 05:08:14 AM »

Well, if I remember correctly, the "plot" didn't include any spirits, it was about a rage-inducing micro-organism. No, it doesn't add much more credibility...

I really enjoyed this one. Cheese and body-art galore... Believe it or not, my wife didn't break up with me after I made her watch this thing. Twice.  TeddyR
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2009, 07:01:41 AM »

I guess it says something about my taste in movies that I actually consider this a "good" movie  TeddyR  Yes, all the criticisms are well founded, it's completely cheesy, but I still pop it in the DVD player once a year or so.  It's fun. 

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2009, 07:44:19 AM »

It is possible to vomit so hard that your soul comes out

BounceGiggle BounceGiggle TeddyR Buggedout  Thumbup

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2009, 07:50:20 AM »

Ash, if you have not seen it, check out Carpenter's original "Assault on Precinct 13."  It's the same story, but I think it is heads and tails above "Ghosts of Mars." 

I agree, Andrew: that is a great movie indeed. I told my Dad to see it when it came on TV here about ten years ago. He phoned me the next morning to tell me that he liked it but something was bothering him. He said that he felt he'd seen something like it before and he could have sworn that John Wayne was in it. I told him that John Carpenter had allegedly based this film on Howard Hawks' Rio Bravo ~ problemo solved.  TeddyR

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Torgo

« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2009, 09:39:58 PM »

I saw Ghosts of Mars back when it originally was in theaters. I've regretted ever going to see that piece of crap.

The only movie IMO that Carpenter has made in the last 16 years was In the Mouth of Madness.

That's pretty sad because IMO from Assault on Precinct 13 to They Live Carpenter could do no wrong.

"There is no way out of here. It'll be dark soon. There is no way out of here."
Flangepart

« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2009, 01:16:46 PM »

Ah, yes...another flick where all the characters work to survive is for nothing...how fun... Thumbdown

"Aggressivlly eccentric, and proud of it!"
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  Reader Comments  |  Ghosts of Mars « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.