Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 07:02:22 PM
714493 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7744 Members
Latest Member: MichelFran
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  I Get to go Testify Before the State Senate!!! « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: I Get to go Testify Before the State Senate!!!  (Read 2968 times)
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« on: March 22, 2009, 02:11:58 PM »

As most old timers on this board know, I am an avid collector of Indian artifacts - a hobby that has become more and more difficult to legally practice in recent years, especially here in Texas.  For decades, "arrowhead hunters" like me could walk the shores of Texas' many reservoirs and pick up artifacts to their heart's content.  The sites were being washed away and the relics exposed anyway, and no one really seemed to care if amateurs retrieved them.   But a recent amendment to the Texas State Antiquities Code has basically decreed that the state owns every arrowhead and flint chip in every creek, river, or lake in Texas.  It's bad law - unenforceable and illogical at best, downright harsh and draconian at worst.  These artifacts are washed out of context and lying wherever the waves deposit them - there is little information to be gained from their study, and NO ONE is making any effort to recover or study them anyway, except amateur collectors.
  So I wrote a proposal to legalize artifact collecting under a permit system, like a fishing or hunting license.  That proposal is now Texas Senate Bill 1829, and it is being reviewed by the Natural Resources Committee.  I get to go down to Austin a week from Thursday and testify to the Committee as to why this is a good idea.

Wish me luck!

And if you are a Texican on this board, do me a favor and write your State Senator suporting this piece of legislation!

Indy

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
akiratubo
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2009, 02:15:28 PM »

As the grandson of an avid arrowhead collector/maker, that silly law outrages me.  I hope you can get collecting legalized.

If not, maybe you can acquire one of those blasters from "Mars Attacks" and blow up your state Senate like they did Congress.

Kneel before Dr. Hell, the ruler of this world!
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2009, 02:19:58 PM »

Good luck Indy!  Perhaps reason and sanity will prevail - like they say, there's a first time for everything  TeddyR

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Doggett
Bustin' makes me feel good !

I've seen things you people couldn't imagine...

« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2009, 02:27:37 PM »

Indians come from India.

It's Native American.
I'm not being, PC but it's common sense.

If God exists, why did he make me an atheist? Thats His first mistake.
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2009, 02:30:13 PM »

But everyone born in America is a native American.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2009, 02:36:40 PM »

so they would rather they be washed out to sea then have them be picked up.  ridiculous
meQal
Some Strange Guy They Let In By Mistake

Dude! Flush Next Time!!!

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2009, 05:20:31 PM »

I wish you the best of luck. I know from experience that dealing with state politicians can be a major pain. They are egotistical and seem annoyed most of the time when people want something unless they fear it will hurt them in an election by taking inaction. At least that is how they are here in Alabama.
Prior to going before them, you may want to find out some information on the members of the Natural Resources Committee such as interest and ways you can make your subject relate more to them than just something that would come before the committee. Also be extremely nice, always talk to them in a manner that makes them feel you find them highly intelligent even if it's obvious they are stupid, answer they questions in a factual, polite manner. Basically be ready to kiss a little butt and massage a few egos. Above all, don't use any words that would refer to the law you mentioned as stupid, unenforceable, or any term that could be considered negative. Odds are it was one of these very people who drafted the bill to begin with. And finally, above all else, don't let them see you panic. They will pounce on you like sharks on an injured fish.

Movie Trivia Fact : O.J. Simpson was considered for the title role in The Terminator, but producers feared he was \"too nice\" to be taken seriously as a cold-blooded killer.<br />Isn\'t hindsight great.<br />A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals and you know it. - Agent Kay - Men in Black
Doggett
Bustin' makes me feel good !

I've seen things you people couldn't imagine...

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2009, 05:28:07 PM »

But everyone born in America is a native American.

If God exists, why did he make me an atheist? Thats His first mistake.
indianasmith
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2009, 07:16:41 PM »

Thanks for the support and comments, guys!

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2009, 08:11:53 PM »

Remember, Indy, the 5th Amendment is your best friend when testifying before the legislature...

Seriously, that's extremely cool, and sounds like a good idea.  Unfortunately, I'm a former citizen of Texas, so I can't help directly, but I wish you the best!  Fight the good fight!

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2009, 09:32:24 AM »

Indians come from India.

It's Native American.
I'm not being, PC but it's common sense.

Nothing like seeing kids running around outside playing "Cowboys and Native Americans."  When I was a kid, we also played "Cops and Robbers."  Now, kids play "Police Officers and Disadvantaged Inner City Youth." 

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
Derf
Crazy Rabbity Thingy
Proofreader

Lagomorphs: menace or underutilized resource?

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2009, 12:31:31 PM »

I'm glad you posted this, Indy. My brother is an avid collector, so I let him know about this new code change. He doesn't collect arrowheads from lakeshores or seashores, though; he goes out after area farmers have plowed their fields and finds a lot of artifacts--there were several major trading routes in this area, and several major camping sites that are now farmland. You said the new code prohibits collection around waterways; does it do the same on private land?

"They tap dance not, neither do they fart." --Greensleeves, on the Fig Men of the Imagination, in "Twice Upon a Time."
ER
B-Movie Kraken

The sleep of reasoner breeds monsters. (sic)

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2009, 03:28:19 PM »

Makes us proud, indy!  Thumbup

(And tell 6th street I said hello! lol)

What does not kill me makes me stranger.
ghouck

Afro-Mullets RULE!

« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2009, 04:59:12 PM »

Ahh, , ,6th St., Austin. Haven't been there in about 20 years. Lotsa fun bars around there.

Raw bacon is GREAT! It's like regular bacon, only faster, and it doesn't burn the roof of your mouth!

Happiness is green text in the "Stuff To Watch For" section.

James James: The man so nice, they named him twice.

"Aw man, this thong is chafing my balls" -Lloyd Kaufman in Poultrygeist.

"There's always time for lubricant" -Orlando Jones in Evolution
indianasmith
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2009, 05:02:48 PM »

I'm glad you posted this, Indy. My brother is an avid collector, so I let him know about this new code change. He doesn't collect arrowheads from lakeshores or seashores, though; he goes out after area farmers have plowed their fields and finds a lot of artifacts--there were several major trading routes in this area, and several major camping sites that are now farmland. You said the new code prohibits collection around waterways; does it do the same on private land?

The state cannot mandate restrictions on private land - at least, not here in Texas (it's a different story out on the Left Coast, but around here we take private property rights very seriously).

There is very little plowing in my area anymore, but our reservoirs and rivers are full of artifacts and fossils.  No one ever cared if you picked them up, until recently!

Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  I Get to go Testify Before the State Senate!!! « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.