Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 12:54:23 PM
714403 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  HAPPY EASTER, EVERYONE! (Warning - Religious Post Follows!) « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: HAPPY EASTER, EVERYONE! (Warning - Religious Post Follows!)  (Read 8050 times)
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« on: April 11, 2009, 09:22:58 PM »

Well, my fellow bad movie fans, I want to wish all of you a Happy and Blessed Easter Sunday, whether you believe in the reason for the celebration or not!  I have never tried to hide my faith on this forum, but I also try not to be preachy with it.  But on this most special of all Christian holidays, I want to share something I just finished writing with you.  You don't have to read what follows, but I hope you will.

"Today we celebrate the reason that Christianity exists – the single most important holy day in the history of the world, the heart of the Christian faith.   The birth of Jesus was crucial, of course, and Christmas deserves the recognition it gets, even if we have no idea of the day on which Jesus was actually born.  The teachings of Jesus were unique and life-changing, unlike those of any other philosopher in human history - if they are taken in their natural context.  That context is very simple:  Jesus Christ understood Himself to be the divinely born Son of God.  Everything that He taught was based on that self-identity, and cannot be divorced from it.  Of course, anyone can claim to be the Son of God.  Our asylums are filled with delusional maniacs who believe that they are divine.  Some of them even believe that they themselves ARE Jesus.  So what makes His claim so unique?
   Simple - he backed it up with proof.  Throughout His ministry, Jesus performed works that no one else has ever been able to duplicate.  He commanded the elements with the sound of His voice, He healed people of degenerative nerve conditions that to this day have no medical cure, He could multiply physical matter and transform its basic condition from one substance to another.  He could even call the dead forth from the grave.  But, remarkable as these things were, they were not the true proof that He was the Son of God.  That proof came on the first Easter morning, in a garden outside the city walls of Old Jerusalem, most likely where the Church of the Holy Sepulcher stands today.  On the third day after His violent death, the disciples of Jesus of Nazareth found His tomb standing empty, with heavenly messengers proclaiming his resurrection.  Then, He appeared to them Himself, first to a handful of women, then to His loyal disciple Simon Peter, then to many others.
   The bottom line is this:  if Jesus of Nazareth truly rose from His tomb on the third day, then everything He claimed about Himself was proven to be true.  But, if He remained in His tomb, then He is simply another dead philosopher – in this case, one with delusions of  Godhood.  Sure, He said and did some remarkable things, but if Jesus stayed dead, he is JUST Jesus – NOT the Christ!"

This is the first part of a lengthy essay I wrote for a class I teach; if you are interested in reading the whole thing, just shoot me a PM and I'll send it to you.  Pagans, Wiccans, agnostics, etc. - thanks for your indulgence! Smile

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2009, 01:37:12 AM »

Well, my fellow bad movie fans, I want to wish all of you a Happy and Blessed Easter Sunday, whether you believe in the reason for the celebration or not!  I have never tried to hide my faith on this forum, but I also try not to be preachy with it.  But on this most special of all Christian holidays, I want to share something I just finished writing with you.  You don't have to read what follows, but I hope you will.

"Today we celebrate the reason that Christianity exists – the single most important holy day in the history of the world, the heart of the Christian faith.   The birth of Jesus was crucial, of course, and Christmas deserves the recognition it gets, even if we have no idea of the day on which Jesus was actually born.  The teachings of Jesus were unique and life-changing, unlike those of any other philosopher in human history - if they are taken in their natural context.  That context is very simple:  Jesus Christ understood Himself to be the divinely born Son of God.  Everything that He taught was based on that self-identity, and cannot be divorced from it.  Of course, anyone can claim to be the Son of God.  Our asylums are filled with delusional maniacs who believe that they are divine.  Some of them even believe that they themselves ARE Jesus.  So what makes His claim so unique?
   Simple - he backed it up with proof.  Throughout His ministry, Jesus performed works that no one else has ever been able to duplicate.  He commanded the elements with the sound of His voice, He healed people of degenerative nerve conditions that to this day have no medical cure, He could multiply physical matter and transform its basic condition from one substance to another.  He could even call the dead forth from the grave.  But, remarkable as these things were, they were not the true proof that He was the Son of God.  That proof came on the first Easter morning, in a garden outside the city walls of Old Jerusalem, most likely where the Church of the Holy Sepulcher stands today.  On the third day after His violent death, the disciples of Jesus of Nazareth found His tomb standing empty, with heavenly messengers proclaiming his resurrection.  Then, He appeared to them Himself, first to a handful of women, then to His loyal disciple Simon Peter, then to many others.
   The bottom line is this:  if Jesus of Nazareth truly rose from His tomb on the third day, then everything He claimed about Himself was proven to be true.  But, if He remained in His tomb, then He is simply another dead philosopher – in this case, one with delusions of  Godhood.  Sure, He said and did some remarkable things, but if Jesus stayed dead, he is JUST Jesus – NOT the Christ!"

This is the first part of a lengthy essay I wrote for a class I teach; if you are interested in reading the whole thing, just shoot me a PM and I'll send it to you.  Pagans, Wiccans, agnostics, etc. - thanks for your indulgence! Smile
You're going there again this year, are you?  Your faith is troubled with declamatory statements such as:  "But, if He remained in His tomb, then He is simply another dead philosopher..."  (At least you're less offensive than last year.) 

You need to think of Jesus as living in the world, right now, an important personage, whom you greatly respect and would never dare write or say anything even remotely offensive about...  Wink

To me, the oft overlooked proof of the miracle of Christ, are his humble origins, obscure life, and violent execution.  How could such a person in his day or any time since, be regarded the Son of God?  Yet, this one man is at the center of one of the world's great faiths, a man who is one of the most quoted, most highly regarded persons who has ever lived. 

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2009, 05:34:04 AM »

Happy Easter!
Today I'm making Easter Dinner for me and my kids! Were having turkey breast,stuffing,mashed taters,gravy,green beans,dinner rolls,cherry pie,and some nice cake my sister brought over!

Small | Large

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Ash
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2009, 06:26:12 AM »

Fausto
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2009, 08:03:47 AM »

Happy Zombie Jesus Day to all!

"When I die, I hope you will use my body creatively." - Shin Chan

"Tonight, we will honor the greatest writers in America with a modest 9 by 12 certificate and a check for three thousand dollars...three thousand dollars? Stephen King makes more than that for writing boo on a cocktail napkin." - Jimmy Breslin
indianasmith
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2009, 08:15:07 AM »

You're going there again this year, are you?  Your faith is troubled with declamatory statements such as:  "But, if He remained in His tomb, then He is simply another dead philosopher..."  (At least you're less offensive than last year.) 

You need to think of Jesus as living in the world, right now, an important personage, whom you greatly respect and would never dare write or say anything even remotely offensive about...  Wink

To me, the oft overlooked proof of the miracle of Christ, are his humble origins, obscure life, and violent execution.  How could such a person in his day or any time since, be regarded the Son of God?  Yet, this one man is at the center of one of the world's great faiths, a man who is one of the most quoted, most highly regarded persons who has ever lived. 

I did try to choose my words more carefully this time - but my point is this - he cannot be "living in the world" if He is still dead in His tomb!   And honestly, given the nature of the things He said, if He was not the Son of God, he must have been either a lunatic or a cruel charlatan  . . . I mean, look at just three quotes:

"I am the light of the world."

"I am the Way, the Truth, and the Life, and no man comes to the Father except through me."

"He who believes in me shall never die."

Those are absolutely maniacal statements coming from anyone who was NOT the Son of God.  Plato, Aristotle, Confucius, Buddha - they didn't say things like that.    Of course, Jesus said a lot of other admirable things, too.  But His entire teaching, as I said, was rooted in His belief that He was a Divine Being, and don't make much sense when divorced from that context.

Not trying to pick a fight, just standing up for my original thesis.  Have a blessed day!

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2009, 10:56:33 AM »

I did try to choose my words more carefully this time - but my point is this - he cannot be "living in the world" if He is still dead in His tomb!   And honestly, given the nature of the things He said, if He was not the Son of God, he must have been either a lunatic or a cruel charlatan  . . . I mean, look at just three quotes:

"I am the light of the world."

"I am the Way, the Truth, and the Life, and no man comes to the Father except through me."

"He who believes in me shall never die."

Those are absolutely maniacal statements coming from anyone who was NOT the Son of God.  Plato, Aristotle, Confucius, Buddha - they didn't say things like that.    Of course, Jesus said a lot of other admirable things, too.  But His entire teaching, as I said, was rooted in His belief that He was a Divine Being, and don't make much sense when divorced from that context.

Not trying to pick a fight, just standing up for my original thesis.  Have a blessed day!
I think those statements of Jesus' could be interpreted any number of ways.  Your statement is still flip; arrogant even.  Nonetheless, I know you and I can agree to disagree. 

Have a Happy Easter to all!
« Last Edit: April 12, 2009, 06:43:15 PM by Allhallowsday » Logged

indianasmith
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2009, 12:45:04 PM »

I say nothing that wasn't said before me by Paul and Peter, among others.

Paul said "If Christ be not raised, your faith is worthless . . . if we have hoped in Christ in this life only, we are of all men most to be pitied!"

But, as you said, friends can disagree and still be friends!

Karma to you and all who responded!

(Except RC, who refuses to let himself be karma'ed anymore!)

ER
B-Movie Kraken

The sleep of reasoner breeds monsters. (sic)

« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2009, 04:50:37 PM »

The very best wishes for a joyful Easter to everyone, whatever this day might personally mean to you.

What does not kill me makes me stranger.
Terf
Bad Movie Lover

I wish I could be as popular as you think you are.

« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2009, 05:05:03 PM »

[PICTURE OF THAT EVIL BUNNY FROM DONNIE!]

OMgoodness! That's freakin' hilarious, although horrible at the same time! XD *Emails to brother*

Anyways, happy Easter! Let's not get bogged down arguing religion vs. atheism. [I abhor the people who do it on YouTube, and I don't want to abhor you guys too. ;)]

Things could be worse; you could be twins.
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2009, 07:09:38 PM »

Paul said "If Christ be not raised, your faith is worthless . . . if we have hoped in Christ in this life only, we are of all men most to be pitied!"
Other than perhaps having been in near constant contact with Divinity for a long period, what did those uneducated dolts know?  I see their point.  They were "selling" a new faith, weren't they?  How could It not become more human and less divine as the Word is imparted from person to person? 

Christianity cannot and should not be arrived at through the concept of payback. 

RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2009, 07:26:23 PM »

I was tired of feeling cheap and dirty afterwards... Twirling

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
indianasmith
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2009, 08:02:54 PM »

"How could It not become more human and less divine as the Word is imparted from person to person? 
Christianity cannot and should not be arrived at through the concept of payback." 

I am not sure what you mean by that, AllHallows . . . but I am interested.  Continue here or go to PM?  I'm fine either way, and your perspective interests me greatly.

Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2009, 11:57:00 PM »

...Anyways, happy Easter! Let's not get bogged down arguing religion vs. atheism. [I abhor the people who do it on YouTube, and I don't want to abhor you guys too. ;)]
Who's doing that?   Lookingup 

"How could It not become more human and less divine as the Word is imparted from person to person? 
Christianity cannot and should not be arrived at through the concept of payback." 

I am not sure what you mean by that, AllHallows . . . but I am interested.  Continue here or go to PM?  I'm fine either way, and your perspective interests me greatly.
I'm not sure either, but the Spirit speaks through me.   Smile  Think of the old game in kindergarten when 20 or more of you little ones are lined up playing "Telephone..."  I think I mean that what we know of Christ, or much of anything, we know from other people.  There are fingerprints all over history.  Someone has always been there before us.  Paul did not know Jesus and really needed to hang his hat on the Resurrection.  If one accepts the account of Peter, he was weak but found strength in his age, perhaps when death is easier.  Death is the final arbiter.  I think being good is enough reason to be good; being good in order to get to heaven is payoff.  Are people really swindled into fear for their "immortal souls"?   Lookingup Cannot we love each other enough to always impart good will?   Smile  Question  Who wants to die to "reap his eternal reward"?  Life seems even more important than Life Everlasting. 
« Last Edit: April 13, 2009, 12:01:35 AM by Allhallowsday » Logged

Big Jilm
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2009, 06:11:34 AM »

Happy Eastre to all - the original pagan celebration of Spring, fertility, and the goddess of reproduction! (that's where the eggs and rabbits come from as well as the eptimology of the term, "Easter").
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  HAPPY EASTER, EVERYONE! (Warning - Religious Post Follows!) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.