Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 10:18:32 PM
712918 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Press Releases and Film News  |  US ship captain is freed when snipers kill pirates « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: US ship captain is freed when snipers kill pirates  (Read 4763 times)
Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« on: April 12, 2009, 06:40:27 PM »

US ship captain is freed when snipers kill pirates 

MOMBASA, Kenya – U.S. Navy snipers opened fire and killed three pirates holding an American captain at gunpoint in a lifeboat, delivering the skipper unharmed and ending a five-day high-seas hostage drama on Easter Sunday.

The pirates were pointing AK-47s at Capt. Richard Phillips and he was in "imminent danger" of being killed when the commander of the nearby USS Bainbridge made the split-second decision to order his men to shoot, Vice Adm. Bill Gortney said.

Phillips' crew, who said they had escaped the pirates after he offered himself as a hostage, erupted in cheers aboard their ship in Mombasa, Kenya. Some waved an American flag and fired flares in celebration. A lawn sign in the captain's hometown of Underhill, Vermont that read "Pray for Captain Phillips' release and safe return home" was changed to read, "Capt. Phillips rescued and safe..." 

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/piracy 

hot I usually don't comment upon news stories when I first post them.  But I think this board will forgive me if I exclaim: HOORAY!!!   Thumbup  Smile  BounceGiggle  Thumbup

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
indianasmith
Archeologist, Theologian, Elder Scrolls Addict, and a
B-Movie Kraken

A good bad movie is like popcorn for the soul!

« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2009, 08:09:25 PM »

Full agreement from me this time, AH!!!!!!!

Paying ransom only encourages more piracy, and enables criminals to gain even more control of what passes for government is Somalia.

Gads, what a hell-hole that place is!  They recently sold out tickets at a soccer stadium to watch a 14 year old girl be stoned to death for unchastity.  The brazen little hussy had dared let herself be raped!!!   hot

Sorry if I sidetracked.  Anyway, a huge Bravo Zulu to the U.S. Navy seals.  (You Navy vets will know what that means!)

"I shall smite you in the nostrils with a rod of iron, and wax your spleen with Efferdent!!"
vanlutz
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2009, 12:11:55 AM »

Just my opinion: Now that the Navy is in the area. Find and kill all the pirates.
Captain Tars Tarkas
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2009, 12:55:35 AM »

Do you think the pirates are wearing name tags or something?

Joe the Destroyer
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2009, 02:45:00 AM »

When I read the headline announcing that the pirates were slain, I imagined an elite force of ninjas on board the ship.
trekgeezer
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2009, 11:23:05 AM »

I understand a lot of ships from NATO countries are on there way down there.  One article I read said that the pirates had released a statement that they hadn't killed anyone, they only wanted ransom.  Now they are  swearing revenge on the US and France for the action they've taken in the last week.

I saw this on someone's news scroll,  musclebound US Navy must learn how to swat flies.

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
Captain Tars Tarkas
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2009, 11:39:45 AM »

There has been task forces in the area, but they were patrolling areas that were more likely to be hit by the pirates (which is part of why the pirates have changed their strategies)  The most glorious pirate action was when India sunk a "pirate mothership" and bragged about it, until it was found out they actually sunk a Thai vessel that was being boarded by pirates and killed most of the crew in doing so.  http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/piracy/3522497/Indian-navy-sank-Thai-trawler-thought-to-be-pirate-ship.html

Allhallowsday
B-Movie Kraken

Either he's dead or my watch has stopped!

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2009, 03:41:06 PM »

Here's an update:
Somali pirates hijack 4 ships, take 60 hostages
MOMBASA, Kenya – Somali pirates captured four ships and took more than 60 crew members hostage in a brazen hijacking spree, while the American captain freed from their grip planned to reunite with his crew and fly home Wednesday to the United States.

Pirates have vowed revenge for the deaths of three colleagues at the hands of U.S. snipers rescuing Capt. Richard Phillips , as well as for two others slain by French forces in a separate rescue last week.

"Our latest hijackings were meant to show that no one can deter us from protecting our waters from the enemy because we believe in dying for our land," Omar Dahir Idle, a pirate based in the coastal town of Harardhere, told The Associated Press by telephone. "The recent American operation, French navy attack on our colleagues or any other operation mean nothing to us."

The top U.S. military officer said Tuesday he takes such comments seriously... 

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/piracy 

If you want to view paradise . . . simply look around and view it!
Jim H
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2009, 11:58:24 AM »

Full agreement from me this time, AH!!!!!!!

Paying ransom only encourages more piracy, and enables criminals to gain even more control of what passes for government is Somalia.

Gads, what a hell-hole that place is!  They recently sold out tickets at a soccer stadium to watch a 14 year old girl be stoned to death for unchastity.  The brazen little hussy had dared let herself be raped!!!   hot

Did they really sell tickets?  I didn't hear about that part.  The one thing that is slightly heartening about the story is some people at the stadium did try to stop it, but were forced back by the gunfire of the militia group who arranged for the execution.

That's the problem with Somalia.  No government, and lots of warring factions.  It means there really is no practical way to control Somalian piracy, short of invading a country with practically nothing going for it to begin with.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Press Releases and Film News  |  US ship captain is freed when snipers kill pirates « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.