Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 04:13:59 AM
714392 Posts in 53096 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Television  |  Deadliest Warrior -Spike TV « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Deadliest Warrior -Spike TV  (Read 13148 times)
inframan
Bad Movie Lover

« on: April 17, 2009, 12:21:42 PM »

Wow, what a sad show. Its like a car wreck, I just kept watching: Apache vs Gadiator. Seems like a parody show that would be on the Simpsons as a gag.

They set up a lab and have "experts" demonstrate the fighting technique then run a computer simulation 1000 times to see who wins. Lots of typical reality show dialouge that would make anyone cringe. One guy asked the Apache archer which of the arrows was his favorite, "which ever one goes through your heart" was his response. Another Apache beats on a dummy with a tomahawk then nonchalantly strolls by the Gladiator expert as he says "dead gladiator."

Found this list of upcoming shows:
Pirate vs. Knight, Taliban vs. IRA, Yakuza vs. Mafia, Viking vs. Samurai, Green Beret vs. Spetznaz, Maori vs. Shaolin Monks, William Wallace vs. Shaka Zulu and Ninja vs. Spartan.
WilliamWeird1313
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

Bad taste is just an acquired taste!!!

« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2009, 12:53:05 PM »

I actually liked it. Super-cheesy, but I like super-cheesy. And I'm actually kinda curious to see some of these outcomes, as shoddy as the psuedoscience might be.

The actual fight recreation scene at the end was the best. Awesomely cheesy.

Mm-mmm. That's good cheddar.

"On a mountain of skulls in a castle of pain, I sat on a throne of blood. What was will be, what is will be no more. Now is the season of evil." - Vigo (former Carpathian warlord and one-time Slayer lyric-writer)
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2009, 03:38:18 PM »

another in a series of shows Spike puts on after TUF that I will not likely watch
WingedSerpent
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

I AM THE BAD PHOTOSHOP EFFECT!

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2009, 07:11:14 PM »

I like this show so far.  Yes, it's stupid cheesy fun.  Especially at the end when the two combatants "fight".  I love it how they have to stop and use each weapon they talked about in the show.
"Time to use the battle axe,"
"Hang on while I prep my bow and arrow"
and I love how the set up seems to be the two were just walking around looking for someone to fight.
Reminds me of Animal Face-Off from a couple years ago.  Only, they due a better job of conceiling the winner until the end. 

I do have two problems (well one and a half problems-because they are related to each other)
First:  Who decided who was fighting who?  Apache vs Gladiator?  Um..O.k.  Not really seeing any conection there.  Pirate vs Knight?  Seems strange .  Why not settle the Pirate vs Ninja debate once and for all.
Which leads me to the second or sub point problem.
IRA vs Tailban.
Are they really going to have some experts talk about the superiority of a terrorist group?  Esp one we're currently fighting in a war?   

At least, that's what Gary Busey told me...
inframan
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2009, 07:29:57 PM »

Small | Large
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2009, 08:12:42 AM »

I enjoy seeing what the weapons can do to their ballistic gel mannequin, but that's about it.  The whole trash talking thing is really forced and awkward.  The battles are silly, like they stand around waiting for the other guy to get his weapon out, lol.  They were talking about the whole Berserker mentality of the Viking, then they've got the guy patiently standing there waiting for the Ninja to take careful aim with his bow and arrow.  Oops, missed.  Wanna try again?  Okay, I'll just keep standing here.  Lucky for you that it's not occurring to me to use my shield.  Hey, when do I get my turn?

I don't see how a computer simulation can be of any relevance, how can you possibly quantify skill?  Or for that matter, bloodlust?

But I'll probably watch it again, just because everything else on TV sucks sooooooooooooo bad.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2009, 08:29:37 AM by Jack » Logged

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Hammock Rider

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2009, 02:24:39 PM »

It seems like they're "homaging (?)" that show that used computer simulations to pit various animals against each other.  It's an interesting idea but I think the execution is pretty lousy.

Jumping Kings and Making Haste Ain't my Cup of Meat
Cthulhu

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2009, 02:48:24 PM »

Heh, I read about it here:http://www.spoonyexperiment.com/2009/04/09/deadliest-warrior/
Funny "review", check it out.
Hammock Rider

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2009, 11:10:30 AM »

I watched Spartan vs Ninja and that one seemed a little better, but only because the trash talking was better.

inframan
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2009, 09:23:40 AM »

I think the Ninja would have fared better if they left out the eggs and throwing stars. The computer calculates how deadly the attacks are. Blinding your opponenent is good in a battle but in the program that they use on the show it looks for number of kills from each weapon.

Seems like the ninjas were a little geeky, like the Apache and the Spartans were the jocks, like the Gladiators. Pirate vs Knight coming up next, I think those will all be geeks.
Jim H

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2009, 02:50:30 PM »

I've been entertained by it.  I had a friend who ragged on the samurai one a lot due to its historical blunders, in relation to left out info and the way they used weapons. 

The one thing I find particularly ridiculous - they apparently don't take size into consideration.  They had the samurai beating a viking by a thin margin, but the one thing they failed to mention (though it is shown in their stats) is that the Vikings, being northern europeans, are WAY bigger than 17th century Japanese warriors (I think their stats put it at a 50 pound weight difference, and like 6 inches of height).  When fighting in melee, raw strength and size make a big difference, and they completely neglected it. 

But, I am a little curious about the Spetznaz VS Green Beret.  There's so little info on the Spetznaz in comparison to Green Berets, kind of wonder what they're going to talk about.  Wonder if they'll address the Spetznaz and the legendary shovel they supposedly kill people with.  I'd also have thought they'd have used the Delta Force, as they seem like a closer comparison.

But yeah, ridiculous and cheesy, but entertaining.
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2009, 03:24:51 PM »

Pirate vs Knight coming up next, I think those will all be geeks.

I would think the pirate should do pretty well, seeing as they had guns  TeddyR

- Paulo Coelho
Jim H

« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2009, 04:16:19 PM »

Pirate vs Knight coming up next, I think those will all be geeks.

I would think the pirate should do pretty well, seeing as they had guns  TeddyR

It would depend on what type of knight and what type of armor.  Later era plate armor is "proved".  They would shoot the chest plate, and this would just leave a dent, proving that it could withstand bullets of the time - likely matchlock rifles, which are quite similar in terms of performance to a flint lock.  Assuming a pirate was unable to stop the knight from closing, I think it is extremely clear who would win in a melee...

If you ever go to a museum with a lot of armor on display, check the front and rear chest plates.  Those from the 14th and 15th centuries often have the proven dent. 
Hammock Rider

« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2009, 12:47:38 PM »

Can't say I agree with the out come of pirate vs. knight, but it was fun to watch. Man, that morning star and halberd did some incredible damage on those ballistic gel dummies.

Next week, Mafia vs Yakuza!

Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2009, 01:13:00 PM »

If I ever see a guy with a morning star, I'm just running as fast as I can in the opposite direction  TeddyR

- Paulo Coelho
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Television  |  Deadliest Warrior -Spike TV « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.