Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 11:52:38 PM
712921 Posts in 53040 Topics by 7722 Members
Latest Member: GenevaBarr
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  What Was That Film?  |  Solved  |  A Kung-Fu flick featuring "cooking kung-fu" « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: A Kung-Fu flick featuring "cooking kung-fu"  (Read 10620 times)
GoHawks
Bad Movie Lover

Happiness is a dancing beagle.

« on: October 20, 2007, 12:49:59 AM »

Sometime between 1992 and 1994, I saw this kung-fu flick on a local UHF station.  The movie started off with a few minutes of narrative describing the history of kung-fu and the myriads of different styles.  Then it started talking about one unique style called "cooking kung-fu" or something similar.

The master of cooking kung-fu was also a master chef.  All of the fighting moves were also moves used in the kitchen for the preparation of food.  Other than that, the movie was a typical 1970s-ish Hong Kong kung-fu flick.  There was the old master, the young student, the vengeance for something and the big fight against the bad guy at the end.

The movie was no masterpiece, and aside from the unique fighting style involved was really no better than any other low-budget kung-fu movie, but I would like to see it again if I can find it.

I have no idea if any famous martial arts actors (e.g. Jackie Chan, Bolo Yeung, etc...) were in this.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2007, 01:11:13 AM by GoHawks » Logged

"Please do not offer my god a peanut."  -  Apu
Mr_Vindictive
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

By Sword. By Pick. By Axe. Bye Bye.

« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2007, 07:33:12 AM »

Could the film have been from the 90s, itself?  The only thing that springs to mind is Stephen Chow's "God Of Cookery" from '96.

I doubt that is the film, but here is the imdb page just in case:

http://imdb.com/title/tt0116426/

A bald man named Savalas visited me last night in a dream.  I think it was a Telly vision.
GoHawks
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2007, 02:25:12 AM »

Sorry Skaboi, thanks for the guess but I definitely saw this movie between July 1992 and May 1994.  I know this because I remember where I was living when I saw it and I only lived there between those dates.

Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2007, 03:19:23 AM »

The Jackie Chan movie "Mr Nice Guy" (where JC plays a cook) comes to mind for me.

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2007, 09:53:41 AM »

was this the young student?

GoHawks
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2007, 08:40:46 PM »

Not to be an ass about it, but I saw the movie once 15 years ago over the air on a UHF channel; I couldn't possibly say if that's him or not.

Besides, I was watching a lot of kung-fu flicks at that time and they all sort of blur into one another.  (Almost as if they all had the same plot, hmm...)  I'm just interested in this one because of its gimmick (the unique cooking fighting style).

sideorderofninjas
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2007, 11:21:53 PM »

Jackie Chan's Wheels on Meals

SideOrderOfNinjas
http://www.sideorderofninjas.com

"Wielding useless trivia like a katana."
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2007, 02:17:58 PM »

it sounds like shaolin drunken monk.  gordon liu's movies usually had training scenes.  I remember him throwing dishes on a rack to practice accuracy or something.   throw water around and ladeling things about.
GoHawks
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2007, 12:24:26 AM »

Based on what the IMDB has to say about Shao Lin zui ba quan/Shaolin Drunken Monk, The (1982), it might be it.  However, reading the review on Amazon's page for this movie by an Erik James suggests otherwise.

Based solely on Erik's review, I believe I saw Shaolin Drunken Monk on the same channel as the movie I'm looking for.  If so, I remember enjoying it.

BTB
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #9 on: November 06, 2007, 03:34:51 AM »

I'll throw Operation scorpio in the mix,
http://imdb.com/title/tt0102159/

which features Chia-Liang Liu as the elder cooking master and has some of the greatest fighting moves I ever saw in an eastern like the Eel and the scorpion.
Also it's from 1991 which puts it in the possible time frame.

To have no ideas and to express them
GoHawks
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2009, 10:25:46 PM »

What with the spate of martial arts films being asked about recently, I decided to try and find this movie again.  I think I may have succeeded this time.

Amazon advertises a movie named "Of Cooks and Kung Fu", which if not the movie I'm looking for certainly comes closer than anything else so far.  Interestingly, the IMDb page for this movie (Tao tie gong) lists entirely different actors' names (except Kun Li may be Lee Kuen).

There is a short clip of this movie on
YouTube Small | Large
.  At about 2:33 into this clip, the hero demonstrates "cooking style" which really seems to upset the bad guy.

If anyone owns this or has seen it, could they verify that the beginning has the voiceover narration about various kung fu styles ending with cooking style?

嚴子陵
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2009, 07:46:45 AM »

I have been haunted by this film for a long time--and I'll be damned if I can remember the name of it, but I was able to rent it in the early 1990s in Seattle at the local video store--tell me if this is same one you have in mind. The hero has to develop a special neck-strengthening technique (which he does with a bunch of bamboo contraptions) because the evil master (who was evicted from the emperor's kitchen for some offense or another based on information from the hero's master--subsequently killed) has some extreme neck attack technique. It seems to me that this is the key to identifying this film, but I've looked in guide books vainly to find it--it eventually will be found! Best, J
GoHawks
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2009, 12:56:29 PM »

... The hero has to develop a special neck-strengthening technique (which he does with a bunch of bamboo contraptions) because the evil master (who was evicted from the emperor's kitchen for some offense or another based on information from the hero's master--subsequently killed) has some extreme neck attack technique. ...

I don't remember the neck strengthening aspect (which is not to say it's not in my film), but the part about the bad guy being evicted from the Emperor's kitchen certainly rings a bell.  I do believe we are talking about the same film.

I'll throw Operation scorpio in the mix, http://imdb.com/title/tt0102159/ ...

Thanks, but it's definitely not Operation Scorpio.

GoHawks
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2009, 12:59:35 AM »

This one can be moved to Solved.  "Of Cooks and Kung Fu" (aka "Tao Tie Gong") (1979) (Amazon) is definitely the movie I was looking for.  I finally found a clip of the beginning and it was as I remembered it.

schmendrik
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2009, 09:15:56 AM »

This one can be moved to Solved.  "Of Cooks and Kung Fu" (aka "Tao Tie Gong") (1979) (Amazon) is definitely the movie I was looking for.  I finally found a clip of the beginning and it was as I remembered it.

Cool, another movie for my Netflix queue. And as it turns out, they've got it available for instant play.
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Information Exchange  |  What Was That Film?  |  Solved  |  A Kung-Fu flick featuring "cooking kung-fu" « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.