Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 08:56:47 PM
714418 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  First Bad movie memory? « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: First Bad movie memory?  (Read 9509 times)
peter johnson
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2009, 10:44:54 AM »

There was a Saturday afternoon TV show that ran the usual Universal suspects, with some AIP mixed in -- most of those we recognized as pretty scary stuff to our 9 to 11 year-old selves.  One afternoon, the station ran "Plan 9 From Outer Space". 

There was a gang of kids who all used to hang out together -- I recall some of us immediately, or about 10 minutes in to this thing, wanted to ditch and play ball -- "This is bad!  There's something wrong with this movie . . . I think they forgot some of it . . . etc.".  While 2 of us -- myself and Steve Crowther -- knew it was "wrong", but still wanted to see it play out.  It wasn't until I read Medved's "The Golden Turkey Awards" years later that everything clicked for me & was codified, but at least I was no longer haunted by the puzzling memory of enjoyment for "Plan 9" -- I knew who and what I was:  A Crap Movie Lover!!!!

peter johnson/denny crane

I have no idea what this means.
Raffine

« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2009, 10:51:46 AM »

Lost Horizon

Ha! I guess George Kennesdy was in training for all those AIRPORT movies.

I remember seeing the LOST HORIZON musical remake on really late night TV sometime in the 70s. We had one station that seemed to like to run fairly new bad musicals at odd hours - the same station showed MAME before the paint was completely dry on Lucille Ball's face. I remember they ran PAINT YOUR WAGON all the time, too.

I found the LOST HORIZON sountrack album in a cut-out bin years ago.
I wish I still had it!

If you're an Andy Milligan fan there's no hope for you.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2009, 07:23:19 PM »

Well, I saw MISSION FROM SPACE in a theater at age 8 or so and walked out--I wasn't ready yet.

Then, in my teens, I used to rent (or have an older cousin rent) stuff like DEATHSTALKER and BARBARIAN QUEEN.  I realized they were bad, but I didn't care--I wanted to watch them because, well, you know, they were exploitation movies, and I was eager to be exploited.  I still wasn't ready.

Then when I was 17 I read they were screening PLAN 9 on TV and I thought it sounded like the coolest thing ever.  I started watching it but didn't "get" it right off.  My girlfriend was there, and we started entertaining ourselves, and--I guess I still wasn't ready.  I valued a little nookie above Ed Wood Jr. (such are the ways of the young and foolish).

Then, we broke up, and the same station screened GLEN OR GLENDA.  This time I watched it through, without distractions, and I was hooked.  What the hell was that on the screen?  (To this day I still haven't seen anything as strange as Glen's dream sequence!)

About that time--my first year of college--I discovered Joe Bob's column in the Dallas Observer.  He was recommending schlock right and left.  I saw RE-ANIMATOR, THE INVISIBLE MANIAC, and FRANKENHOOKER on his recommendation--I guess you could say I was finally ready.   Smile

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Javakoala
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2009, 12:16:08 AM »

I have already posted my cherry poppers, but I'd like to amend those by blaming my brother for paving the way.

We had a show on a local station called Fantastic Theater http://tulsatvmemories.com/fantastic.html that would show crappy older movies. I was a little, little kid, but if my oldest brother liked it, I had to be right there too. The theme music scared the living sh*t out of me and would result in me screaming like someone was stripping my skin off with Visegrips. But he would watch junk like "The Human Duplicators," "The 4D Man," and "Dinosaurus!" They scared me most of the time, but my brother would laugh and laugh at these things and occasionally, he would point out what he was laughing at and I kinda understood what he was saying, but then I would go back to being scared. So he planted the seed.

You HAVE to check out the theme music link on the site from above to get an idea why a little kid would be scared by it.  And check out these bits of freaky Tulsa fright film theater trivia:

Mazeppa, who also had Gary Busey as a semi-regular back in the day:  http://tulsatvmemories.com/mazeppa.html

Sherman Oaks and Creature Feature (this is where Jeanne Tripplehorn got her acting start, folks, so blame Tulsa):  http://tulsatvmemories.com/creature.html

And Weird Al's "UHF":  http://tulsatvmemories.com/uhf.html
Neville

« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2009, 09:08:19 AM »

My mother used to be a school teacher, and when I was very young she would sometimes take me with her to work. In one of these occasions the students were being shown "King Kong vs. Godzilla" (I still can't understand the reason), and I watched it twice on two consecutive days. Lots of fun, I was in that kind of age (6-7, I think) when this kind of stuff looks fascinating. I tried to watch the film again not long ago, couldn't even recognise it.

And she also took me once to the movies, and for some reason she decided Chuck Norris' wonderfully bad Indiana Jones knockoff "Firewalker" was a good choice. I found it quite funny.

Of course, they're very old memories we're talking about. I didn't "get" the whole "so bad is good" thing until my late teens, when I watched "Evil Dead II" and some other stuff in the same vein.

Due to the horrifying nature of this film, no one will be admitted to the theatre.
JPickettIII
A BAD MOVIE IS A TERRIBLE THING TO WASTE!
Bad Movie Lover

HELP! WE ARE STUCK IN A GOOD MOVIE!!!

« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2009, 10:59:22 PM »

I have watched so soo sooo many bad movies, I can't really recall my "First Bad Movie".  But I have some that do stick out in my head though.

All of the Godzilla movies from the 70s' and 80s'.  "I Come In Piece" and "Frankenhooker".

There have been many, many others.  I guess watching bad movies might not be a "taste", but something to do with genetics.  Maybe we should have a test done on a "Bad Movie Gene".

Hmmmm.

Later,

John

\\\\\\\"Freedom is not free\"\\\\\\ or ///\"Where ever you go, there you are!\"///
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2009, 05:17:46 AM »

You HAVE to check out the theme music link on the site from above to get an idea why a little kid would be scared by it.  And check out these bits of freaky Tulsa fright film theater trivia:

I recall being terrified whenever CHILLER THEATER came on when we lived in Milton,NY back in the 60's....

Small | Large

....though most of the films seem laffable now....it was quite terrifying to a six year old....!  Buggedout

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Trevor
Uncle Zombie and Eminent Shitologist
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2009, 01:34:39 AM »

Lost Horizon

Ha! I guess George Kennesdy was in training for all those AIRPORT movies.

I remember seeing the LOST HORIZON musical remake on really late night TV sometime in the 70s. We had one station that seemed to like to run fairly new bad musicals at odd hours - the same station showed MAME before the paint was completely dry on Lucille Ball's face. I remember they ran PAINT YOUR WAGON all the time, too.

I found the LOST HORIZON sountrack album in a cut-out bin years ago.
I wish I still had it!

Smile Even if this film was available on DVD for free, I wouldn't buy it as that free cost would be too much.

My one enduring memory of the film is where one of the actors (I think it was Peter Finch) finds gold dust in a canal at Shanggriller. When he scoops some of it up in his hands, he shouts "Gol......." and then puts his hand over his mouth.  Question

« Last Edit: May 05, 2009, 01:36:54 AM by Trevor » Logged

I know I can make it on my own if I try, but I'm searching for the Great Heart
To stand me by, underneath the African sky
A Great Heart to stand me by.
Ed, Ego and Superego

« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2009, 03:33:17 PM »

Maybe my first theatre movie ever was the 1976 King Kong.

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
WingedSerpent

I AM THE BAD PHOTOSHOP EFFECT!

« Reply #24 on: May 06, 2009, 09:11:55 PM »

Watching Godzilla vs Monster Zero at my Grandmother's house, eating spegettio'es. 

At least, that's what Gary Busey told me...
InformationGeek
Leader of the Friends' for Info
B-Movie Site Webmaster

Let's all be Friends.

« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2009, 02:51:32 PM »

I think my first bad movie memory came from Troll 2 where I saw that girl melt into green goo and the guy says, "Oh my God..."  It is also possible that my first memory came from Nothing But Trouble when that guy is trying to rescue the girl from the junkyard.

We live in quite an interesting age. You can tell someone's sexual orientation and level of education from just their interests.
JJ80
Nutter Magnet

« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2009, 05:28:46 PM »

I can distinctly remember seeing the 1960 version of "The Lost World" and the 1976 "King Kong" remake on TV when I was very young in Saturday evening or Sunday afternoon showings.

There are few things more beautiful than a sporting montage with a soft-rock soundtrack
Bmeansgood
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2009, 08:33:43 PM »

Watching either Flash Gordon or Ice Pirates as a kid.  I used to think those were two of the greatest movies of all time until I found out most people thought they were terrible.  I was really quite disturbed that people didn't like them. 

But don't worry,  I don't care what other people say, I still think they are a couple of the most entertaining movies of all time!

CheezeFlixz

Pathetic Earthlings

« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2009, 11:10:14 PM »

My first bad movie ... THE BRAIN THAT WOULDN'T DIE!
Small | Large

I guess I was about 6 or so and I was watching it with my cousin in the basement and I kept freaking her out ... I opened the table up, you know where you pull it apart to put the leafs in to expand it and I stuck my head up threw it and call her name and go "Where's my body? Where did my body go?" and she screamed bloody murder and peed her pants she was a a year and a day young then me! Strange no one else thought it was funny... I still laugh about it.

Anyway that was the first bad movie I remember clearly watching and it was down hill from there.

ChuckSplatt
« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2009, 11:31:33 PM »

Probably when I watched Robot Monster.

cq9IKsH9BXg

Pages: 1 [2] 3
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  First Bad movie memory? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.