Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 06:32:20 AM
714509 Posts in 53098 Topics by 7744 Members
Latest Member: MichelFran
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Van Damme vs. Seagal « previous next »
Poll
Question: Who would win in a fight?
Van Damme - 6 (40%)
Seagal - 6 (40%)
It would end in a draw - 0 (0%)
Both would die - 3 (20%)
Total Voters: 15

Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Van Damme vs. Seagal  (Read 4036 times)
Ash
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« on: April 29, 2009, 08:35:16 PM »

Ever since Jean Claude Van Damme and Steven Seagal started doing movies in the late 80's, one of the topics my friends and I talked about was which one of them would win in a fight.

Most of my friends argued that Seagal would win because his aikido skills were so deadly and that he could take out Van Damme in minutes.
I always put my money on Van Damme because of his skill in shotokan karate and his swift and deadly kicks.  I pictured him doing some flying roundhouse to the side of Seagal's face and laying him out.   TeddyR

What do you think?
Who would win in a fight?

(P.S. I can't remember if this topic was ever posted before.  Was it?)
« Last Edit: April 29, 2009, 08:38:03 PM by Ash » Logged
Jim H

« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2009, 08:48:18 PM »

This is actually a much more interesting question than one I have seen more often: Jet Li VS Steven Seagal.  In that one, Seagal all the way.  He's got like 100 pounds and 9 inches on Jet Li and has experience in martial art with training for fighting, whereas Li has training in what are essentially Chinese gymnastics (non-combat oriented Wushu). 

Now, there are several things to consider.  Are we talking when both were at their prime, or now?  I'll say now...

As of right now, Van Damme is in way better physical condition than Seagal.  He's also 9 years younger.  However, he has a long history of drug abuse, and this probably does affect him in several ways.  Van Damme also has kickboxing experience, a quite solid record of it, actually.  I believe he had around a dozen matches and only a single loss.

Seagal is older, has put on a good deal of weight, and is just generally not as well-conditioned as Van Damme.  He's also trained in aikido, which does have practical application but the general gist I get is it is not as practical as something like karate or kickboxing.  I'm also not familiar with any actual matches Seagal was in.  What Seagal does have: he's about 7 inches taller, and a lot heavier.  This is actually a huge advantage.  Even considering his lesser conditioning, he's probably still stronger than Van Damme.  His overall build, even considering his height, is also a broader one than Van Damme.

So, who'd win?  I'm not entirely sure.  Neither have any recent fights to their credit.  However, I'd lean slightly to Van Damme, as I think his conditioning and kickboxing experience would outweigh Seagal's aikido and reach advantages.  If they were both in their prime though (say, 1987ish), I'd bet on Seagal though.
MilkManPictures
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2009, 09:31:43 PM »

I love me some JVCD but I think if they were both in their prime... Seagal would take JCVD.
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2009, 07:30:37 AM »

I'd put my money on Van Damme.  Aikido looks really impressive against an untrained opponent, but you never see it used by mixed martial arts fighters - I would assume that's because it's just not effective against a trained opponent.  Sure, there's plenty of joint locks and that sort of thing in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, but only after the match has gone to the ground.  In the stand up phase, I don't think you'd have much luck trying to grab the arm of a trained kickboxer when he's throwing a punch, or easily manipulating him with some Judo move.  They're just too fast and have too many offensive weapons.  On the other hand, kickboxing is pretty much a mainstay in MMA.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Skull
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2009, 11:40:45 AM »

I'd put my money on Van Damme, too...

Anybody that can crush a walnut with his own butt is somebody you wouldnt want to fight... :)

Psycho Circus
B-Movie Kraken

Shake The Faith

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2009, 11:41:26 AM »

I'm going with Van Damme, he's in much better shape. Seagal seems like he's dead, but still full of wind, so people think he's alive....

schmendrik
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2009, 01:04:30 PM »

Aikido looks really impressive against an untrained opponent, but you never see it used by mixed martial arts fighters - I would assume that's because it's just not effective against a trained opponent.  Sure, there's plenty of joint locks and that sort of thing in Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu, but only after the match has gone to the ground.  In the stand up phase, I don't think you'd have much luck trying to grab the arm of a trained kickboxer when he's throwing a punch, or easily manipulating him with some Judo move.  They're just too fast and have too many offensive weapons.  On the other hand, kickboxing is pretty much a mainstay in MMA.

You may not have seen a very high level of Aikido. There are plenty of techniques against kicks, punches, sticks, knives, etc, and masters give demonstrations against trained opponents all the time. Here's one story about the founder:
"Soon, his fame attracted national attention, with martial artists of all styles traveling to test his growing reputation as unbeatable. He defeated them one by one or sometimes in groups. No one could ever touch him. He seemed to disappear like smoke in their grasp. The founder of Kodokan Judo, Jigoro Kano, was dazzled by his skill, and referred to it as “my ideal in Budo.” The judo master requested that two of his major students be taken on as students of O Sensei. Many famous people, leaders in the government, military, martial artists and people in other fields studied with the O Sensei."
http://clevelandaikikai.com/AboutbrAikido/OSenseiBiography/tabid/717/Default.aspx

It is absolutely incorrect that the wrist locks only apply after the opponent is on the ground. They are take downs, and you can start from any position.
Torgo

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2009, 10:04:16 PM »

I would have to go with .

"There is no way out of here. It'll be dark soon. There is no way out of here."
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Van Damme vs. Seagal « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.