Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 07:59:16 PM
714417 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Really, Really, Really Confusing Stuff « previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Really, Really, Really Confusing Stuff  (Read 5273 times)
Ash
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« on: May 23, 2009, 06:10:46 PM »

Ever read about something that just doesn't make any sense?
No matter how much you read into it, understanding the basics of it seem extremely complicated.

Like String Theory.
I've tried to read about it and 99.999% of it just goes over my head.
Can someone explain it to me in layman's terms?

Got any other topics that are really, really, really confusing?
zombie no.one

Oookaay...

« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2009, 09:05:32 PM »

Got any other topics that are really, really, really confusing?

cattle mutilation - done loads of research into this on the net, there's loads of info but none of it can possibly make sense. too long to go into here but seriously freaky.

crop circles is another one

I suppose they're both kind of confusing in a 'WTF?' type way, perhaps not really what you're talking about which I guess is understanding a scientific concept put forward by someone else. can't help you with string theory but I'll check the link when Ive got a minute, sounds interesting.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2009, 09:09:51 PM by DCA » Logged

The Mandela Effect is a Mandela Effect
AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2009, 11:43:08 PM »

Thanks Ash. That link kept me up reading a chain of related articles ending with the Standard Model of particle physics. Now I'm going to bed with a headache and feeling dumb as a stump. Hope you're happy. TeddyR

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Kester Pelagius
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

Not a Time Lord!

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2009, 12:13:45 AM »

This is what I love about the Internet.  Just when you think the most recent rant you post somewhere seems so deep and/or relevent to whatever you wander into a thread in a forum that makes you realize just how insignificant and nonsensical the things that you post rants about really are.

String Theory & Cattle Mutilation.

I don't think either can be easily explained.  They're sort of like bad movies.  No one really gets them they just know they're bad and find, despite the near incoherence of them, that you just have to accept them for what they are even when they don't always make sense.  Or try to.   Wink

Cosmic Cinema - SF articles and reviews.

Mise-en-scene Crypt - Rants, reviews, & more! (10% NSFW)
Eyesore
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2009, 01:00:51 AM »

Years ago, I read an article by Brian Greene in Popular Mechanics that dumbed it down to a level that I could somewhat understand. Basically, everything in the universe (particles and forces included) is made up of vibrating strings. The differences in matter, (a chunk of rock vs a beam of light) are according to the resonance of the strings, but at a sub atomic level. What string theory does is break down even the smallest of particles to ever smaller particles, and at the bottom of it all; Well it's all just a bunch of vibrating strings! For this theory to be cohesive though, it would mean that thre are 11 dimensions, which has been proven mathematically, and all of these dimensions are seperated by an extremely thin membrane. Another theory seeks to prove that this membrane exists by asserting that for some reason, gravitons travel freely between membranes, and that is why they are often missing in this dimension, when nothing else can disappear entirely.

I don't pretend to understand all this stuff, but this has stuck in my mind over the years.
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2009, 06:51:29 AM »

I sort of get the impression that string theory is just a possible explanation that seems to work mathematically, but of course there are numerous possible explanations that seem to work mathematically.  As long as there's no way to actually prove or disprove it, and it offers no predictions about the outcome of experiments that might be performed, it's little more than a brain teaser.  Apparently they'll be able to somewhat test a certain aspect of the theory with the Large Hadron Collider, but seeing as string theory is actually a whole pile of theories, I imagine that no matter what the results, it won't really accomplish much.

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Eyesore
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2009, 03:08:17 PM »

Apparently they'll be able to somewhat test a certain aspect of the theory with the Large Hadron Collider, but seeing as string theory is actually a whole pile of theories, I imagine that no matter what the results, it won't really accomplish much.

Maybe they'll be able to determine where the gravitons go?
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2009, 04:28:32 PM »

I think string theory predicts the existence of certain very large particles, which they're expecting to see when the Collider is up and running.  Other than that, it's all over my head  TeddyR

- Paulo Coelho
trekgeezer

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2009, 06:35:15 PM »

Thanks Ash. That link kept me up reading a chain of related articles ending with the Standard Model of particle physics. Now I'm going to bed with a headache and feeling dumb as a stump. Hope you're happy. TeddyR

Hey Andy, when I read that response I almost fell out of my chair! It was perfect for an Ash post!

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2009, 08:00:41 PM »

The Rule Against Perpetuities (which governs wills and trusts): "an interest in property will vest no later than 21 years after some life in being at the creation of the interest."  It doesn't sound so complicated, but in practice it's nearly impossible to apply.  In any particular case it's a tangled riddle, and you have to consider legendary characters like "the fertile octogenarian" and "the unborn widow" in order to solve it.  It's an olde English common law rule and you're required to learn it in law school even though the rule is abolished in most states, and is almost never tested on bar exams except in the simplest form. 

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
zombie no.one

Oookaay...

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2009, 08:28:29 PM »

ok, I'll throw this one out there...

Darwin's theory of evolution apparently disproving the existence of God.

why?

If God created everything, then why would analysing the growth and evolution of everything he created apparently suggest that God doesn't exist? Isn't that the same as looking at a painting by Da Vinci, for example, then putting it under a microscope and saying "sorry, this can't be a genuine Da Vinci, because it's just paint on canvas".

« Last Edit: May 24, 2009, 08:40:18 PM by DCA » Logged

The Mandela Effect is a Mandela Effect
Ed, Ego and Superego

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2009, 03:36:19 PM »

Locks.  I'm pretty mechanical, but locks elude me. 
-Ed

Quantum materiae materietur marmota monax si marmota monax materiam possit materiari?

Si Hoc Legere Scis Nimium Eruditionis Habes
ghouck

Afro-Mullets RULE!

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2009, 03:52:34 PM »

Chemistry: I never could figure out how to predict what will become of combining two chemicals. In school, it was presented to me like math, but it doesn't work out that way, and I never saw how.

Raw bacon is GREAT! It's like regular bacon, only faster, and it doesn't burn the roof of your mouth!

Happiness is green text in the "Stuff To Watch For" section.

James James: The man so nice, they named him twice.

"Aw man, this thong is chafing my balls" -Lloyd Kaufman in Poultrygeist.

"There's always time for lubricant" -Orlando Jones in Evolution
Javakoala
« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2009, 10:28:19 PM »

Here's a list that'll have me toasting in Hell:

Women

Women's magazines (one article tells you how to be independent and the next tells you how much you suck because you don't have a man.)

Why janitors cannot get the concept of loading toilet paper/ hand towel dispensers correctly

Why do electrical things have warnings about NOT using them while standing in water

Love for "reality" programming

Why we allow people who LOVE "reality" programming to both live and reproduce

Why we steal TV show ideas from a country we fought to be divided from

Oprah  Huh?  Am I the only one here?

Pat from Saturday Night Live

Buy one, get one free (if one is free, just give me the free one and you can sell the other to some idiot)

Okay, I'll shut up for now
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2009, 06:26:25 AM »

Women's magazines confuse the hell out of me as well.  You flip through 20 pages of ads, then you find the index.  Thirty more pages of ads and you hit the back cover.  Am I missing something here?

- Paulo Coelho
Pages: [1] 2
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Other Topics  |  Off Topic Discussion  |  Really, Really, Really Confusing Stuff « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.