Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 02:56:22 AM
714503 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7744 Members
Latest Member: MichelFran
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  The Van (1976) « previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Van (1976)  (Read 4395 times)
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« on: April 29, 2009, 08:48:23 AM »

Small | Large

Do you rememeber the scene in "American Beauty" when Kevin Spacey talks about when he was in high school and he mainly drove around and got laid alot and smoked joints or something?   he could easily have been talking about this movie.  Dammit, I want this America back.  This kid wants one thing out of life and that is to get a van so he can bang chicks in the back of it.  So he does and he's happy as a clam.  end of story, basically.    There are more over the top, crazier, funnier or more explicit teen movies for sure but this one is right up there with the best of them to me.  perfect summer flick.

This was paired with "the pom pom girls" .  It's the second time I've seen a double feature with "the pom pom girls" and I still can't get into it.  It's like "Friends" to  the Van's "Seinfeld". If you want to see a bunch of happy well adjusted football players and cheerleaders engag in mild hijinks have it at but lots of things i'd personally rather see.  Luckily it's not actually 1976 and I don't only have the movies at the local drive in I can see.  I know I said i wanted this America back but I actually want the best of both worlds.   
« Last Edit: April 29, 2009, 08:55:38 AM by lester1/2jr » Logged
Eyesore
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2009, 07:47:33 PM »

I agree Lester, I miss those days too.
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2009, 09:13:05 AM »

This movie played at a lot of drive-ins in my area and was often part of a double or triple feature.  I think it was on a triple bill with CORVETTE SUMMER and BIG WEDNESDAY in the late 1970s.

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
lester1/2jr
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2009, 09:16:08 AM »

I loved Corvette Summer.  What is Big wednesday?
Warp Ninja X
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2009, 09:59:39 PM »

The Van, Star Hops, The Pom Pom Girls, Covette Summer, Van Nuys Blvd, and others where some of my favorite childhood movies I use to watch on Saturday afternoon. Smile
« Last Edit: April 30, 2009, 10:01:45 PM by Warp Ninja X » Logged
Captain Tripps
New Visitor

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2009, 11:41:22 PM »

This movie was a disaster!!!!
The acting is lame, the comedy is pathetic and the script is no more than a loosely strung chain of clichés and cheap thrills. T They even resort to that Bobby kid slipping on a banana skin, because this will supposedly add comedic value.

It should have won an Oscar Smile

"The conquest of fear lies in the moment of its acceptance. And understanding what scares us most is that which is most familiar, most common place"
- Chris Carter
The Burgomaster
Aggravating People Worldwide Since 1964
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2009, 05:40:17 AM »

I loved Corvette Summer.  What is Big wednesday?

Big Wednesday is actually a decent movie.  Gary Busey, Jan-Michael Vincent, and William Katt play surfers who spend much of their teen years and early adulthood waiting for "Big Wednesday", a legendary day when the surfing is supposed to be great (lots of really big waves or something . . . I can't quite remember).  I have the DVD but I haven't watched it in a few years.  It was directed by John Milius. 

"Do not walk behind me, for I may not lead. Do not walk ahead of me, for I may not follow. Do not walk beside me either. Just pretty much leave me the hell alone."
the ghoul
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2009, 08:25:12 AM »

Umm..... I think I'll stick to horror and sci-fi.
frankofthefuture
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2009, 10:42:36 PM »

Yes, The Van is a bad movie. Yes, I like it anyway. The bad dialogue, the mysteriously high profile licensed theme song "Chevy Van", the T-shirts with sparkly "iron-on" designs, and the insane "The Van" van hit me in a soft spot.

It all reminds me of being about five in 1979 and the teenagers in my neighborhood constantly washing their cars while listening to loud music and my babysitters sneaking their boyfriends over when they thought I was sleeping and my Star-Wars shirt with the glittery border.
Jack
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2009, 06:34:30 AM »

I remember my Mom taking me to see Corvette Summer when it was in theaters.  Wouldn't mind checking out a few of these '70s drive-in movies.  H.O.T.S. is another one I saw long ago and have been meaning to add to my collection for a long time now.

Tomboy with Betsy Russel looks rather enticing as well  TeddyR

The world is changed by your example, not by your opinion.

- Paulo Coelho
Rev. Powell
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

Click on that globe for 366 Weird Movies

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2009, 10:53:18 AM »

Tomboy with Betsy Russel looks rather enticing as well  TeddyR

Everything with Betsy Russell is enticing.   Smile

I'll take you places the hand of man has not yet set foot...
Pages: [1]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  The Van (1976) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.