Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 02:07:55 PM
714452 Posts in 53097 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Gothic (1986) « previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Gothic (1986)  (Read 3629 times)
Javakoala
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2009, 08:36:05 PM »

If I had to pick a ken Russel film...it would be the DEVILS with the always great Oliver Reed. GOTHIC is ok...very odd...but it was a little to ....I dunno...Percy Shelly was sucha sap...and Lord BYron....I was waiting for him to die! No likable charecters in the film. The visuals were ok...mebbe better if I was a homo on acid.

Well, now that about sums up that movie, I think.  Especially the acid part.
Moreau
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2009, 01:55:09 PM »

i just ordered a copy of listzomania so i'm looking forward to more russellian excess and phalluses. but why all the casual homophobia, guys? what happened to live and let live?

here's some appropriate renaissance art

Joe
Bad Movie Lover

What are you afraid of? It's only rock n' roll.

« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2009, 02:46:46 PM »

That gives "Dick Head" a whole new meaning.
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2009, 04:27:28 PM »

I'm not a homophobe....I just like sex in movies to be between a guy and a girl. Simple fact is.... gay love is  not a plus in a movie for me...uh...unless they're lesbians!   Twirling

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
BoyScoutKevin
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2009, 05:53:38 PM »

I'm not a homophobe....I just like sex in movies to be between a guy and a girl. Simple fact is.... gay love is  not a plus in a movie for me...uh...unless they're lesbians!   Twirling

That's okay, so let me steer you away from those Russell films, that I have seen, that have hints of homosexuality in them.

"Prisoner of Honor"
"Salome's Last Dance"
"Gothic," which you already know about.
"Valentino"
"The Music Lovers"
"Women in Love"

On the other hand, if you want some lesbian action than try Russell's . . .

"The Rainbow"
"The Boyfriend"

More overt in the former than the latter, but it is present in the latter in a couple of the characters.

And "Lair of the White Worm, which is an odd film, as it contains both lesbian and gay scenes. The lesbian scenes between Sylvia (Donohoe) and Eve (Oxenberg) are more overt, but there is a current of gayness between James (Grant) and Angus (Capaldi,) especially in their last scenes together.
RCMerchant
Bela
B-Movie Kraken

"Charlie,we're in HELL!"-"yeah,ain't it groovy?!"

« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2009, 06:13:51 PM »

Truth to tell...The only Russel films I've seen are the DEVILS (which was looooooong ago...and I was drunk),ALTERED STATES (which I saw at the theater with Daphane Siskaninitz and her brother Nickoli ),and this one.
Cronenbergs CRASH about made me puke....my ex-brother in law,Leroy, DID puke. We usta have a movie night...watch crazy horror or blaxpliotation films (I was onna blaxpo kick at the time) and I picked up this vhs at a yard sale. It was Cronenberg! I wasn't ready for the two guys feeling each other up...yeeeewwwwwwwww...! I turned it off. Not a drinking-with-the-guys typa flik.  Lookingup

"Supernatural?...perhaps. Baloney?...Perhaps not!" Bela Lugosi-the BLACK CAT (1934)
Interviewer-"Does Dracula ever end for you?
Lugosi-"No. Dracula-never ends."

Slobber, Drool, Drip!
https://www.tumblr.com/ronmerchant
Paquita

« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2009, 05:06:02 PM »

I finally got to see this!  It was just like you said it was.
Moreau
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2009, 12:15:22 PM »

i just watched 'lair of the white worm' over the weekend and it was amazing! it was like someone had taken some sunday afternoon miss-maple-esque nostlagia TV, complete with barbour jackets, manor houses and dreary english countryside, and then chucked in a load of outrageous nun-rapes, cheap gore and an extremely sexy snake woman.

this might be a spoiler but i loved the way that jim capaldi was able to play the bagpipes will keeping a live mongoose and a live grenade up his kilt. such concentration.

and it had big metal wangs. imdb should make that a ken russell director's trademark.

anyhow, it was awesome.
BoyScoutKevin

« Reply #23 on: June 14, 2009, 03:36:40 PM »

i just watched 'lair of the white worm' over the weekend and it was amazing! it was like someone had taken some sunday afternoon miss-maple-esque nostlagia TV, complete with barbour jackets, manor houses and dreary english countryside, and then chucked in a load of outrageous nun-rapes, cheap gore and an extremely sexy snake woman.

this might be a spoiler but i loved the way that jim capaldi was able to play the bagpipes will keeping a live mongoose and a live grenade up his kilt. such concentration.

and it had big metal wangs. imdb should make that a ken russell director's trademark.

anyhow, it was awesome.

I'm glad you enjoyed it. As you can see from my username, it is one of my favorite films. Since you  did enjoy it, you might try some of these other films from Ken Russell.

Altered States
The Devils
The Music Lovers
Tommy
Women in Love

While these are regarded as being his best films, the one most similiar in style to "LOTWW" is probably "Tommy."
Pages: 1 [2]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Gothic (1986) « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.