Bad Movie Logo
"A website to the detriment of good film"
Custom Search
HOMEB-MOVIE REVIEWSREADER REVIEWSFORUMINTERVIEWSUPDATESABOUT
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 11:35:04 PM
714392 Posts in 53096 Topics by 7742 Members
Latest Member: KathleneKa
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Will Ferrell, cinematic Anti-Christ? « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: Will Ferrell, cinematic Anti-Christ?  (Read 12768 times)
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #30 on: June 13, 2009, 08:29:30 AM »

I just don't get why so many people like him so much. He's OK, the thing I liked him best in was when he did the voice for Bob Oblong in the cartoon. I just can't see why people rave about Taledega Nights, it's a below average movie, and most of the funny stuff wasn't him.
I don't get why people like Talladega Nights either.  He was much better in Anchorman.

"The path to Heaven runs through miles of clouded Hell."

Don’t get too close, it’s dark inside.
It’s where my demons hide, it’s where my demons hide.
metalmonster
Bad Movie Lover

« Reply #31 on: June 13, 2009, 05:06:51 PM »

I Think Some Of Will Ferrell's Movies Are Pretty Good

But He Does Kill A Lot Of Movies Too

« Last Edit: June 13, 2009, 05:09:09 PM by metalmonster » Logged
GilbyFromMagoombo
Dedicated Viewer

« Reply #32 on: June 13, 2009, 05:28:53 PM »

Talledega Nights was a letdown. It had Sascha (Ali G, Borat) Baren Cohen and it still stunk. As far a Will Ferrell goes, I guess he's of the love 'em or leave 'em type. I personally loved him in a many of his films, he's a character actor, and that's fine. You know what your gonna get going in. Old School,Anchorman and Stepbrothers are classics, imo. He was also pretty good in Stranger Than Fiction and Winter Passing, which were both more serious-minded "dramady's". He has made his fare share of stinkers, though, and those I just stay away from. A lot of people felt the same way about Bill Murray (whom I also love) back in the 80's, especially at the height of his commercial fame (one of his co-stars was an elephant). These guys are character actors, but a lot of the success of their films still depends on the writers, so if something is bad, it's they who are to blame. I agree that you can get sick of seeing these guys everywhere, but that's how they earn a living, so who cares? Nobody is putting a gun to your head to watch anything. I'm not going to go see this (Land of the Lost), I'll wait for the dvd, it doesn't look to good. But, Will being the cinematic Anti-Christ? Puh-leeze.
BTW, whether you like him or not, check this video out for a laugh.
Small | Large
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #33 on: June 13, 2009, 08:09:06 PM »

Sascha (Ali G, Borat) Baren Cohen
I'm sorry, but I don't find that guy funny or appealing at all in any capacity.

AndyC
Global Moderator
B-Movie Kraken

« Reply #34 on: June 13, 2009, 10:04:35 PM »

Cohen was good in Madagascar, but he was just voicing an animated lemur.

---------------------
"Join me in the abyss of savings."
Kester Pelagius
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

Not a Time Lord!

« Reply #35 on: June 14, 2009, 06:55:13 PM »

I actually saw Madagascar.  Had no idea Borat did one of the voices.

Has Will Ferrell done any voice work?
« Last Edit: June 14, 2009, 07:14:20 PM by Kester Pelagius » Logged

Cosmic Cinema - SF articles and reviews.

Mise-en-scene Crypt - Rants, reviews, & more! (10% NSFW)
Javakoala
« Reply #36 on: June 14, 2009, 07:08:35 PM »

Had Will Ferrell done any voice work?

The Oblongs.  He played the Dad.  Great animated show.

Small | Large
HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #37 on: June 14, 2009, 07:34:54 PM »

Anybody can be good when they're voicing a character.  It's how they do with live action stuff.

Unfortunately Cohen comes across as an annoying cocky little b***h of a man.

Olivia Bauer
Frightening Fanatic of Horrible Cinema

« Reply #38 on: June 14, 2009, 09:43:41 PM »

I have disapproved of every film the man has done.

Is it unnatural for someone not to see a grown man running around and screaming like a child unfunny?
Am I asking too much for some actual jokes instead of childish slapstick?
*Sigh* I miss Monty Python type humor....
« Last Edit: June 14, 2009, 09:46:45 PM by KeeperOfTheB-List » Logged

Kester Pelagius
B-Movie Site Webmaster
Bad Movie Lover

Not a Time Lord!

« Reply #39 on: June 15, 2009, 11:37:54 AM »

I have disapproved of every film the man has done.

Is it unnatural for someone not to see a grown man running around and screaming like a child unfunny?

Am I asking too much for some actual jokes instead of childish slapstick?

*Sigh* I miss Monty Python type humor....

Since I asked this question I've learned there are those who either A) Loathe Will Ferrell with the vitriol of an exploding star; 2) Tolerate Will Ferrell because they feel comedy stanards aren't what they used to be, or; 3) Really are crazy wacky fans of the guy.

Well, okay, maybe I've seen fewer responses from #3 than the rest.  But someone did leave a angry comment on my blog that fits into the #3 category so they are out there.  Though I think most people seem to share the sentiments expressed above.

But the thing to remember about Monty Python is it wasn't juvenille humor, it was humor aimed at adults, meaning grown-ups, which is to say people capable of thought.  I think Hollywood is working under the assumption that most people today don't want to think/aren't capable of thinking with any depth of intelligence about anything.  Thus we get SNL level comedies and black comedians dressing up in rubber-suit drag as fat black women.  Granted the first movie that did this might have been funny but, seriously, stick a fork in this genre it's done!

Or am I off base?

Cosmic Cinema - SF articles and reviews.

Mise-en-scene Crypt - Rants, reviews, & more! (10% NSFW)
Ash

23 Year Badmovies.org Veteran

« Reply #40 on: June 16, 2009, 04:55:20 AM »

I have to agree with AndyC.
Ferrell can be hit or miss.
I haven't seen all of his films, but I liked the ones I did see.

In my opinion, Anchorman and the role of Ron Burgandy is without a doubt his best role.  Thumbup

Also, some of his best work has only appeared on the internet.
Like the short feature The Landlord.

Or...

Good Cop, Baby Cop Small | Large

I don't think he's the cinematic anti-christ.  He just needs to use a bit more discretion when choosing roles.

« Last Edit: June 16, 2009, 05:07:00 AM by Ash » Logged
Olivia Bauer

« Reply #41 on: June 16, 2009, 01:43:03 PM »

But the thing to remember about Monty Python is it wasn't juvenile humor, it was humor aimed at adults, meaning grownups, which is to say people capable of thought.  I think Hollywood is working under the assumption that most people today don't want to think/aren't capable of thinking with any depth of intelligence about anything.  Thus we get SNL level comedies and black comedians dressing up in rubber's drag as fat black women.  Granted the first movie that did this might have been funny but, seriously, stick a fork in this genre it's done!

The sad thing is that Ferrell himself has hosted SNL many times.

Is it just me or is SNL going to the bottom of the barrel with hosts? The Rock (DOOM), Zac Effron (HSM), and Seth Rogan (A ton of movies based on genetailia jokes.)

Comedy of 2009 - It's not funny until someone makes a joke about privates

HappyGilmore
B-Movie Kraken

I know Quack-Fu.

« Reply #42 on: June 17, 2009, 07:38:44 PM »

But the thing to remember about Monty Python is it wasn't juvenile humor, it was humor aimed at adults, meaning grownups, which is to say people capable of thought.  I think Hollywood is working under the assumption that most people today don't want to think/aren't capable of thinking with any depth of intelligence about anything.  Thus we get SNL level comedies and black comedians dressing up in rubber's drag as fat black women.  Granted the first movie that did this might have been funny but, seriously, stick a fork in this genre it's done!

Is it just me or is SNL going to the bottom of the barrel with hosts? The Rock (DOOM), and Seth Rogan (A ton of movies based on genetailia jokes.)

The Rock is actually pretty decent as a comedy performer, and a decent actor considering his background in pro wrestling.  Rock's made a couple of clunkers (DOOM and Southland Tales), but almost every actor has had a movie they're ashamed of.  Rock's two (maybe three) turns hosting SNL were actually decent.

Rogen makes dirty movies, sure, but he is pretty funny when he wants to be (Superbad, Pineapple Express, 40 Year Old Virgin).  While I can see blaming the performers/writers to a degree for the state of comedy today, it also comes down to the audience.  Sadly, today's audience seems unaccepting of films of Python's standards (personally, at my age (25), I can appreciate both styles of humor.)  But I know plenty of people who LOVE a 'dirty' movie like 40 Year Old Virgin, but won't laugh once at Holy Grail.

flackbait

The fate of the last door to door salesmen

« Reply #43 on: June 17, 2009, 09:18:18 PM »

Is it just me or is SNL going to the bottom of the barrel with hosts? The Rock (DOOM), Zac Effron (HSM), and Seth Rogan (A ton of movies based on genetailia jokes.)

Hehe you said Privates!

Just Kidding, I'm not that immature (I think).
trekgeezer

We're all just victims of circumstance

« Reply #44 on: June 18, 2009, 09:50:09 AM »

The best thing Ferrell has ever done is  the More Cowbell skit  on SNL.

Small | Large

And you thought Trek isn't cool.
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Badmovies.org Forum  |  Movies  |  Bad Movies  |  Will Ferrell, cinematic Anti-Christ? « previous next »
    Jump to:  

RSS Feed Subscribe Subscribe by RSS
    Email Subscribe Subscribe by Email

Popular Articles
    How To Find A Bad Movie

The Champions of Justice

Plan 9 from Outer Space

Manos, The Hands of Fate

Podcast: Todd the Convenience Store Clerk

Faster, Pussycat! Kill! Kill!

Dragonball: The Magic Begins

Cool As Ice

The Educational Archives: Driver's Ed

Godzilla vs. Monster Zero

Do you have a zombie plan?

FROM THE BADMOVIES.ORG ARCHIVES
    ImageThe Giant Claw - Slime drop

Earth is visited by a GIANT ANTIMATTER SPACE BUZZARD! Gawk at the amazingly bad bird puppet, or chuckle over the silly dialog. This is one of the greatest b-movies ever made.

Lesson Learned:
    • Osmosis: os·mo·sis (oz-mo'sis, os-) n., 1. When a bird eats something.

Subscribe to Badmovies.org and get updates by email:

HOME B-Movie Reviews Reader Reviews Forum Interviews TV Shows Advertising Information Sideshows Links Contact

Badmovies.org is owned and operated by Andrew Borntreger. All original content is © 1998 - 2014 by its respective author(s). Image, video, and audio files are used in accordance with the Fair Use Law, and are property of the film copyright holders. You may freely link to any page (.html or .php) on this website, but reproduction in any other form must be authorized by the copyright holder.